This video is unavailable.
Rubles roll for Sochi Olympics
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Feb 7, 2013
http://www.euronews.com/ Sochi is getting a face lift for the Winter Olympics in 2014. There's a lot of construction going on around the subtropical resort city on the Black Sea.
The biggest building sites are for infrastructure. It really needed it because it stretches out for 40 km of coastline. The other major spots are where sport installations are going in.
The Fisht Olympic Stadium is where the opening and closing ceremonies will be held and the medals awarded. There's still a lot of work to do on it.
Other emplacements are ready, like the Bolshoi Ice Palace for the hockey.
The Iceberg Skating Palace will be for the figure skating. The city will host all the events that are held indoors.
It won the Olympic bid in 2007 partly on the basis of being just 50 km from the Caucasus Mountains.
That's where President Vladimir Putin went to inspect yesterday - where the outdoor events will happen. The government has spent lavishly on this, providing at least half the money needed.
The Sochi Games will be the most expensive in history so far, costing a projected 36 billion euros, because so much has had to be created from scratch. Vancouver 2010 cost 1.4 billion and Turin in 2006 3.4 billion.
Sochi's budget has shot to 500 percent of what it meant to spend in the first place. That's one of the reasons the president has been taking a personal interest.
He is playing this openly, to all appearances, according to a state broadcast conversation with his deputy, Dmitri Kozak...
Putin: "You're more than two years behind."
Putin: "Are costs rising?"
Kozak: "Yes, seriously."
That's just at the ski jump, which should have been finished two years ago. It's cost eight times what they thought it would, bringing the price to 200 million euros. The number two man in the Russian Olympic Committee, Akhmed Bilalov, was sacked today.
At least the Sanki bobsleigh and luge run is ready. At more than 1,800 metres long, it has broken a world record.
Find us on:
Standard YouTube License
- 2:27 Сочи 2014 последние приготовленияby Дмитрий КосенкоFeatured 5,261
- 1:18 US exposes huge credit card fraud, 18 people chargedby Euronews 2,339 views
- 8:15 Italian productivity bluesby Euronews 1,128 views
- 1:10 Syria: violence flares in Damascus, refugee crisis escalatesby Euronews 1,742 views
- 1:16 Earth to be saved from asteroid collisionby Euronews 4,446 views
- 3:42:04 Моисейby russianbible 38,711 views
- 22:26 Строительство станции в районе 9км СКЖД, Крымск 2012by Transugstroy Channel 486 views
- 25:49 Putin talks NSA, Syria, Iran, drones in exclusive RT interview (FULL VIDEO)by RussiaToday 50,300 views
- 17:33 Release of Captives from Khojaly (Karabakh - 1992) - [ENG + RUS Sub]by AzeriFighter 639 views
- 1:01:42 Sochi 2014 - "One Year To Go" Ceremony / "Год до Сочи-2014" [1080p, HD]by John Johnson 5,836 views
- 4:38 Сколько украли на Олимпиаде в Сочи?by Ложь путинского режима 361,802 views
- 2:17 Russian Formula 1 Grand Prix Circuitby Формула Сочи 1,360 views
- 1:21 Sochi Olympics "Unsafe for Americans" Says Russia Analystby NTDTV 519 views
- 5:36 Sochi DA!!!!by Sandra Kiriasis 806 views
- 9:54 VLADIMIR PUTIN EXPOSES THE NWO PART 1by PassOnTheTruth 384,314 views
- 25:37 Sochi 2014: The Final (Olympics) Countdownby RussiaToday 7,204 views
- 13:14 Sochi 2014 Games Lessons: Legacyby Sochi2014 21,332 views
- 2:23 Soçi'nin pahalı ve bitmeyen Olimpiyat hazırlıklarıby euronewstr 534 views
- 8:09 Architecture in Russia, Visions of The Futureby qbodesigngroup 9,271 views
- 26:10 Sochi 2014: Run up to the Olympics (RT Documentary)by RussiaToday 31,277 views
- Loading more suggestions...