Whales Surprise Surfer Near Santa Cruz, California Beach (VIDEO)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 4, 2011
It doesn't belong to me.!!
A surfer and kayakers got quite a surprise when two humpback whales lunged out of the water and nearly came crashing down upon them near Santa Cruz, California.
Barbara Roettger, the woman who shot the video, told ABC News that the group was about a quarter mile from shore when the whales surfaced. Roettger was only 20 feet away from encounter.
According to ABC News, "scientists believe weather patterns have driven fish closer to shore this year and brought the feeding whales with them."
The surprising encounter captured in the video is not the first one in the waters near Santa Cruz. The Associated Press reports that the U.S. Coast Guard has been monitoring a pod of humpbacks that have come within a mile of shore looking for food.
Roettger admitted that whale encounters like hers can be dangerous. "We were crazy to be out there, " she told ABC News. "You're a sitting duck, basically."
Officials are concerned for human safety, especially for kayakers and boaters who try to get a closer look at the creatures. No human injuries have been reported, but "at least one sailboat was damaged this week when it struck a whale."
As for the whales, many groups have spoken out against boats coming too close to the mammals.
Whaling, an historically lucrative business around the world, has come under increasing scrutiny in recent decades. According to the Associated Press, Japan still catches a small number of whales annually, in a "research program opposed by activists who call it commercial whaling in disguise."
Despite an international moratorium on whaling in 1986, Iceland continues the practice. This summer, the U.S. threatened Iceland with "trade and diplomatic sanctions" for its ramped up commercial whaling that was resumed in 2006.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:40 INCREDIBLE: HUGE WHALE BREACHES BEHIND SURFER on GIANT WAVEby tgl9000Featured 1,146,130
- 5:17 TEAHUPOO Mega Swell Unbelievably Massive Wavesby Naj0rt 8,108,993 views
- 0:53 Whale Crashes into a Sail Boat! MUST SEE!by SHOCKPROOFX 1,567,948 views
- 0:35 BLACK PARENTS, WHITE BABY, HOW POSSIBLE?by Arojin Ayo 1,850,176 views
- 0:31 Dead Mermaid Bodyby Barry Gliner 656,428 views
- 0:26 Unidentified animal attacks fox in garden captured on stealth cam prowler HDby chris6506106's channel 3,128,413 views
- 7:21 10 scariest places in the world/ 10самых страшных мест на планетеby Denys Ilyushenko 6,015,960 views
- 7:24 Kayaking with Orca, or Killer Whales off Sooke, BC on Vancouver Island.by DiscoverSooke 974,420 views
- 0:36 Sea Shepherd rams into tuna pen, skirmish w/Maltese vesselby MaltaToday dotcomdotmt 559,294 views
- 43:53 Nature Shock: When Killer Whales Attackby AllForWhales 1,026,651 views
- 2:47 MARINA GETS EATEN BY A SHARK - OMG!by untangledup 3,233,343 views
- 0:57 Ship Beachingby Orionty 1,206,231 views
- 89 videos Play all ANIMALS & WILDLIFE: MARINE MAMMALS..by zipper179
- 0:52 AA pilots with balls of steelby grahamersguy 5,579,419 views
- 1:04 Garrett McNamara rides 90 Foot Wave! (Full Video) New World Recordby Dominican Friars 2,152,853 views
- 0:52 WORLDS BIGGEST !!GREAT WHITE SHARKby jonesiboi001 5,918,799 views
- 1:15 Siri, Am I Fat?by SiriHumor 570,860 views
- 0:23 Possessed Alpacaby breakmyface 996,374 views
- 5:58 Britains Got Talent 2011 Olivia Binfieldby shaunuk21 22,381,740 views
- 1:01 Shark Busts Through Cageby Kiretrams1 734,472 views
- 1:07 Cute baby elephant rides his motherby Gert Hengeveld 1,453,059 views
- Loading more suggestions...