Jack of All Trades - Bruce Springsteen & E St Band-LA Sports Area 4/26/12
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 27, 2012
Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band /April 26 / Sports Arena / Los Angeles, CA
These days, LA's venerable Sports Arena is rarely dusted off for much of anything, but it remains the only place Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band will play in the market, adding to legacy of shows that began in 1980. With no luxury boxes to speak of (a mile away, the Staples Center has 'em triple stacked), it feels positively intimate compared to most modern arenas.
Thursday night marked stop No. 2 in the mere troika of West Coast shows on this leg and featured a couple of strong tour debuts, one poignant, one playful. Again walking out to strains of "The Magnificent Seven," the super-sized E Street Band kicked off with "Badlands," and the LA crowd came to play, with fist-pumps ringing the arena from the get go.
The crowd hailed "We Take Care of Our Own" and cheered for the Giants (to be fair, LA has no NFL franchise) in "Wrecking Ball" before the return of "The Ties That Bind," played with real pace and passion. Next came the first of four appearances by a guest who at this point can't be called surprising, guitarist Tom Morello, who soloed on "Death to My Hometown" and two songs later on "Jack of All Trades." When he wasn't on stage, Morello was sitting with family (including his charming mother and young son), directly stage left, close to the lip of the stage, singing along to nearly every song.
The first big surprise of the night followed "Trades," as Bruce walked around to the band and called for "Something in the Night." The tour debut was a tour de force, with Bruce deeply absorbed in his performance and Max Weinberg forcefully striking the song's many drum fills. Nary a second passed before the Mighty One went straight into a storming "Candy's Room" and a splendid three-pack was completed as Springsteen called for "She's the One." Jake Clemons, who was warmly embraced by the crowd with every saxophone solo, seemed to take his part here to an even higher level and gave a deserved look of triumph when he finished.
"Easy Money," acted out by Mr. and Mrs. on the front, center stage. Then came "Waitin' for a Sunny Day," "Promised Land" and the "Apollo Medley" before the proper tour debut of "The Ghost of Tom Joad." Morello shared vocals with Bruce on it, taking the second verse and sharing the last, and as great as his playing is on the Wrecking Ball material, he just wails on "Joad." Watching the energy flow through his body movements is almost as mesmerizing as his actual playing. He was loving every minute of it. Bruce soloed hard here, too, and "Joad" was easily one of the highlights of the night.
From there, the main set wound down, wrapping with "Land of Hope and Dreams," as "Thunder Road" took a night off.
Anchored by the elegiac "Rocky Ground," the encore brought with it one big surprise, the first ever full E Street Band performance of The Rivieras' 1964 hit "California Sun." It had been previously performed inside the "Detroit Medley" at the same venue back on October 26, 1984, but this was the whole damn song, complete with a snippet of the Ventures' "Wipe Out" near the end. With its made-for-the-moment chorus of "Yeah, we're out here having fun / in the warm California sun."
Morello returned to close the night on "Tenth Avenue Freeze-out."
- from Backstreets.com
We Take Care of Our Own
The Ties That Bind
Death to My Hometown (with Tom Morello)
My City of Ruins
The E Street Shuffle
Jack of All Trades (with Tom Morello)
Something in the Night
She's the One
Waitin' on a Sunny Day
The Promised Land
The Ghost of Tom Joad (with Tom Morello)
We Are Alive
Land of Hope and Dreams
* * *
Rocky Ground (with Michelle Moore)
Born to Run
Dancing in the Dark
Tenth Avenue Freeze-out (with Tom Morello)
Standard YouTube License
- 6:21 Bruce Springsteen - Jack Of All Trades - Philadelphia 3/28/12 (night 1)by TapeheadToo33,813 views
- 6:16 Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - Jack of All Trades (Greensboro)by dschram113,232 views
- 8:01 Candy's Room-She's The One - Bruce Springsteen-LA Sports Arena 4/26/12by cesintube5,260 views
- 7:06 E Street Shuffle - Bruce Springsteen & E St Band-LA Sports Arena 4/26/12by cesintube2,950 views
- 6:06 BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN & THE E STREET BAND - Jack Of All Tradesby MultiJokerchannel2,347 views
- 7:29 Bruce Springsteen w/ Tom Morello JACK OF ALL TRADES @ L.A. Sports Arena 4/26/12by rjrjr86,803 views
- 5:55 Ghost of Tom Joad- Bruce Springsteen & Tom Morello/LA Sports Arena 4/26/12by cesintube2,635 views
- 9:54 Racing in the streetby ctorniai1,659 views
- 5:43 Bruce Springsteen No Surrenderby codingatnight1,797 views
- 10:01 Racing in the Streets - Bruce Springsteen - LA Sports Arena 4/27/12by cesintube3,768 views
- 20:02 Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band Tenth Avenue Freeze Out - Live In New York Cityby Benjamin Nanninga195,468 views
- 5:50 Badlands - Bruce Springsteen & E St. Band - LA Sports Arena 4/26/12by cesintube4,607 views
- 7:58 Bruce Springsteen, Tom Morello, The Ghost of Tom Joad, LA Sports Arena, April 26, 2012by R. Steven Daniels1,034 views
- 2:25 Bruce Springsteen Brings His Sister Onstage for Dancing in the Dark!by Craig J161,864 views
- 5:40 Bruce Springsteen - Jack of All Trades 03/26/12 TD Garden Boston, MA Completeby clark kent11,961 views
- 4:48 Bruce Springsteen - Something in the Night (Live Los Angeles April 26 2012)by stian25712,239 views
- 5:51 Bruce Springsteen Jack of all Trades with Tom Morello London 14-07-12 Hard Rock Callingby micky20021,591 views
- 7:34 Bruce Springsteen "Tenth Avenue Freezeout" HP Pavilion San Jose 4-24-12by POINTEBLANC91551 views
- 8:02 Bruce Springsteen - Jack of All Trades - Times Union Center - Albany - 4-16-12.mpgby estreeter4life764 views
- 2:06 Bruce Springsteen Brings Fan Onstage! Little Girl Sings Waitin' On A Sunny Day!by Craig J48,981 views
- Loading more suggestions...