Don't Believe Your Lying Eyes! (1/2)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 12, 2010
http://facebook.com/ScienceReason ... Don't Believe Your Lying Eyes! (Part 1/2). TED talks - Beau Lotto: Optical illusions show how we see (Recorded at TEDGlobal, July 2009, Oxford, UK).
A fascinating demonstration of how our visual system is conditioned by what we perceive as 'Reality', with unexpected conclusions about what we call Illusions.
Please SUBSCRIBE to Science & Reason:
Beau Lotto's color games puzzle your vision, but they also spotlight what you can't normally see: how your brain works. This fun, first-hand look at your own versatile sense of sight reveals how evolution tints your perception of what's really out there.
Neuroscientist and artist Beau Lotto is founder of Lottolab, a hybrid art studio and science lab. With glowing, interactive sculpture -- and good, old-fashioned peer-reviewed research -- he's illuminating the mysteries of the brain's visual system.
Why you should listen to him:
"Let there be perception," was evolution's proclamation, and so it was that all creatures, from honeybees to humans, came to see the world not as it is, but as was most useful. This uncomfortable place -- where what an organism's brain sees diverges from what is actually out there -- is what Beau Lotto and his team at Lottolab are exploring through their dazzling art-sci experiments and public illusions.
Their Bee Matrix installation, for example, places a live bee in a transparent enclosure where gallerygoers may watch it seek nectar in a virtual meadow of luminous Plexiglas flowers. (Bees, Lotto will tell you, see colors much like we humans do.) The data captured isn't just discarded, either: it's put to good use in probing scientific papers, and sometimes in more exhibits.
Outside the studio work, the brain-like (that is, multidisciplinary) organization is also branching out to bigger public engagement works. It's holding regular "synesthetic workshops" where kids and adults make "color scores" -- abstract paintings that computers interpret into music, as with scrolls fed to a player piano.
And lately they're planning an outdoor walkway of color-lit, pressure-sensitive John Conway-esque tiles that react and evolve according to foot traffic. These and Lotto's other conjurings are slowly, charmingly bending the science of perception -- and our perceptions of what science can be.
Beau Lotto teaches at University College London.
"All his work attempts to understand the visual brain as a system defined, not by its essential properties, but by its past ecological interactions with the world. In this view, the brain evolved to see what proved useful to see, to continually redefine normality." (British Science Association)
Standard YouTube License
- 8:18 Don't Believe Your Lying Eyes! (2/2)by FFreeThinker53,922 views
- 10:56 Why Christians Might Go To Hellby FFreeThinker112,111 views
- 19:02 Michael Specter: The danger of science denialby TED250,015 views
- 2:31 Why Creationists Deny Scientific Evidenceby FFreeThinker97,600 views
- 44:57 Blow Your Mind | National Geographicby DocumentaryWatchDotCom155,365 views
- 20:23 Barry Schwartz: The paradox of choiceby TED1,454,652 views
- 15 videos Play all I don t believe youby ruksinavb
- 16:52 Rebecca Saxe: How we read each other's mindsby TED235,839 views
- 5:47 If Atheists Ruled The World [Special Guest: AronRa]by FFreeThinker88,030 views
- 10:11 The Language Of Scienceby FFreeThinker67,938 views
- 2:51 Great Minds: Richard Feynman - The Uncertainty Of Knowledgeby FFreeThinker194,304 views
- 23:08 Michael Merzenich: Growing evidence of brain plasticityby TED61,911 views
- 7:29 Arguments From Ignorance (1/2)by FFreeThinker56,726 views
- 20:28 Perception - The reality beyond matterby Integr8623,617 views
- 7:16 Stand Up For Jesus!by FFreeThinker56,026 views
- 9:30 Life Beyond Earth - Origin And Evolution Of Life In The Universeby FFreeThinker383,807 views
- 4:00 Great Minds: Carl Sagan - Pale Blue Dot [new HD version]by FFreeThinker683,190 views
- 17:51 James Randi: Homeopathy, quackery and fraudby TED506,483 views
- 19:17 Chimamanda Adichie: The danger of a single storyby TED1,025,387 views
- 10:17 Super Brain, Eye and Nervous System Rejuvenation Drink with David Wolfe - PART ONEby Longevitydvds55,928 views