Paul Ryan: President's Health Care Law Empowers 15 Bureaucrats. We Empower 50 Million Seniors.
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 25, 2012
House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan appeared on Fox News Sunday on March 25th, 2012 to discuss the Path to Prosperity budget and the choice of two futures America faces.
To learn more: http://prosperity.budget.house.gov
Attacking Poverty by Expanding Opportunity
Is the goal to treat the symptoms of poverty or to attack the root causes of poverty? We're advancing welfare reform that gets people onto lives of self-sufficiency, that's why we couple this with job training programs and work requirements. We think we ought to help get people out of the cycle of poverty. Unfortunately, the President's agenda creates more of a dependent culture, more people stuck in poverty because it denies the idea of upward mobility. This is a critical difference. We're working to repair the safety net and help people get back on their feet.
Medicaid is already going bankrupt. Medicaid is already a program that so many doctors won't even take anymore because of its federal rules, regulations and mandates. Let's block grant Medicaid back to the states. Allow states to customize this benefit to meet the particular needs of their populations. Yes, it will still grow under the reforms we're talking about, but we will free the states to experiment and customize this benefit to the needs of their population.
Advancing State-Based Solutions
All the answers don't lie in Washington. The genius of America does not lie in our bureaucracies in Washington. Government closer to you is government more responsive to you. We believe in the principle of government by consent of the governed. We believe in innovative reforms like welfare reform in 1990s, [Governor] Tommy Thompson was the trailblazer of this in Wisconsin -- and we made it very successful. We think we should return responsibility to the states on these issues, so that state government which is closer to the people who are involved with these programs can be held accountable and better customize solutions. It is a diverse country. The problems they have in New York state aren't exactly the same as we have in Wisconsin. So we should haven't all of these rules and regulations that treat us the same with cookie cutter mandates.
Who do you trust on Medicare? 15 unaccountable bureaucrats or 50 million empowered seniors?
Medicare's growth rate is the same under our plan as it is under the President's health care law. Here is the key, critical difference: the President's health care law puts 15 bureaucrats in charge of Medicare. We put 50 million seniors in charge of their Medicare. He is putting these bureaucrats -- unelected, unaccountable -- in charge of price controlling, which leads to denied care for seniors. We're saying: get rid of the health care law, stop putting this rationing board in charge of current seniors' health care, give them the guaranteed benefit they've organized their lives around. Don't change their benefits for anybody in or near retirement. In order to make good on that promise, which is becoming a broken promise under the status quo, you have to reform it for the next generation. There is a bipartisan consensus on how best to reform it, and that's we're advancing. We save and strengthen Medicare. The current law makes it go bankrupt, and puts this board of fifteen bureaucrats in charge of price controlling, which will lead to denied care for current seniors.
The Choice of Two Futures
Our job in Congress is pretty important. What we believe we owe the country is if we don't like the direction the President is taking us, which we don't, we owe them a specific, sharp contrast and a different path they can choose... We're going to give the country a choice. We're going to show the country: here's how to balance the budget, pay off the debt, grow the economy, and stop all of the cronyism in Washington, picking winners and losers; here's how to get an upwardly mobile society; here's how to get people back to work instead of being on government dependency. These are the decisions we're going to have to make.
Standard YouTube License
- 5:32 Paul Ryan: We Have a Moral & Legal Obligation to Prevent America's Debt Crisisby HouseBudgetCommittee 8,663 views
- 9:39 Paul Ryan on Fox News Sundayby HouseBudgetCommittee 17,857 views
- 5:55 Paul Ryan: A Budget That Trusts the American Peopleby HouseBudgetCommittee 11,663 views
- 1:30 Paul Ryan Reminds Debbie Wasserman-Schultz What She's Already Done to Medicareby HouseBudgetCommittee 123,455 views
- 4:04 Ron Paul vs. Debbie Wasserman-Schultz on Obamacare (2010 Flashback)by Conservative1001BG 6,551 views
- 2:23 Paul Ryan Destroys Debbie Wasserman-Schultz in Obamacare Debateby 912erSTL 604,497 views
- 14:30 Rep. Paul Ryan Vs. President Obamaby forbes 170,287 views
- 6:12 Paul Ryan destroys Obama on health care reformby JPB209 5,425 views
- 6:21 Jon Stewart Totally DESTROYS Obama Administration Over IRS Scandal | A MUST WATCHby JonXTalks1 102,251 views
- 1:39 New Black Panthers offer reward for capture of George Zimmermanby CNN 203,208 views
- 52:11 Paul Ryan Advances Patient-Centered Health-care Reformby RepPaulRyan 2,578 views
- 4:12 Walter E Williams - What is a Right?by LibertyPen 16,733 views
- 6:59 Debbie Wasserman Shultz get's smacked down by Dylan Ratigan Morning Meeting 12-18-09by MrNationalistpride 112,088 views
- 3:37 Paul Ryan debates Debbie Wasserman Schultz on Social Security Reformby BigCitizen1776 102,357 views
- 3:31 Wasserman Schultz's 'Civility'?by Thesharktank1 15,302 views
- 2:00 Myth: America Has A Health Care Systemby ComebackAmericaTV 2,720 views
- 2:50 Paul Ryan Takes Chris Matthews "To School" On Deficits and Taxesby FirstPatriots 485,327 views
- 1:13 Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) Rips MSNBC For 'Using Capitalist Rhetoric' To Move Anti-Market Obamacareby Greg Hengler 95,279 views
- 6:09 Paul Ryan Interview on ABC's 'This Week'by ABCNews 14,512 views
- 8:10 Paul Ryan on MSNBC's Hardball with Chris Matthewsby RepPaulRyan 171,482 views
- Loading more suggestions...