Judge Napolitano: Obama Cannot Use the 14th Amendment to Raise the Debt Ceiling
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jan 14, 2013
Some Democrats, including House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, have called on President Obama to use the 14th Amendment to the Constitution in order to raise the debt ceiling without Congressional approval.
The 14th Amendment reads: "validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned."
The debt ceiling of $16.4 trillion is set to hit again on March 1, and a report last week found that it could actually be reached as early as Feb. 15.
So does the U.S. Constitution actually give President Obama the authority to raise the debt ceiling? Stuart Varney asked the question to Judge Andrew Napolitano on Fox Business Network this morning.
"Absolutely not," said Napolitano. "Because the Constitution itself says that only Congress can raise money, only Congress can spend money, and only Congress can borrow money. The president knows that. Every single president -- from Woodrow Wilson to Barack Obama -- when they want to raise money, goes to the Congress and gets permission for it."
(At a press conference today at the White House, President Obama was pressed by NBC's Chuck Todd on whether he is considering using the 14th Amendment. Check out that exchange, here.)
Napolitano said the phrase of the Constitution cited by Pelosi and others is not being used in the right context.
"The 14th Amendment is one of the three post-Civil War amendments," he explained. "So in order for the seceding southern states to return to the union, they had to agree to adopt the 13th, 14th and 15th Amendments. The 14th Amendment says 'the public debt of the United States shall not be questioned,' because one of the debts that the federal government still had to pay after the Civil War was the debt incurred by fighting the Civil War. And who was going to pay that? The returning southern states, as well as the northern states. ... (The 14th Amendment) prevented (the southern states) from saying 'we're not going to pay.'"
Standard YouTube License
- 4:34 Can Texas Secede? Judge Napolitano says yesby teaparty3orgFeatured 38,638
- 15:22 Judge Napolitano Markets Fiat Crap & Sound Money.by Theglobalistchan 573 views
- 3:03 Judge Napolitano Reacts to Biden's Remarks About Obama Considering for Gun Controlby Exmember ofsociety 378 views
- 2:29:50 Former Satanist shows everyday occultism.by kwcgladius 758,008 views
- 26:07 "Natural Rights vs The Patriot Act" by Judge Andrew Napolitanoby JudgeNapolitanoFTW 1,541 views
- 4:12 Judge Napolitano and Geraldo Rivera discuss Building 7by BuildingWhat 23,798 views
- 5:09 Mark Levin explains the 14th amendmentby UniverseOfReality 1,614 views
- 4:24 Judge Napolitano: "Tell the Orwellians at Verizon to Go Take a Hike"by LeakSourceNews 8,623 views
- 8:26 Sovereign Citizen Movement - Fourteenth Amendmentby Charlie Frye 8,574 views
- 5:36 Judge Napolitano On Spending: 'You Don't Cut Cancer Out One Cell At A Time, You Cut It All Out'by Eduardo89rp 1,706 views
- 3:09 Judge Napolitano: Trillion Dollar Coin Proposal "Would Be Economically Catastrophic"by LeakSourceNews 1,526 views
- 15:00 How the 14th Amendment Has Stolen Your Life - Pt 1 - Pozitively Unconstitutionalby BoKnowsEntertainment 2,367 views
- 5:05 FOX NEWS ADMIT FBI HAVE BEEN INVOLVED IN 17 FALSE FLAG TERROR NON-EVENTSby MrCROWNBAR 91,353 views
- 5:48 Judge Napolitano on the 14th Amendment, Raising the Debt Ceiling & Big Government LYING TO US.by Americanrevolution02 3,265 views
- 5:38 Obama Dodges Question About His Own Vote Against Raising The Debt Ceilingby GOPICYMI 44,376 views
- 12:03 Judge Andrew Napolitano w/ Glenn Beck New Book Theodore and Woodrow 2 Presidents Destroyed Freedomby GlennBeckBookList 5,816 views
- 1:28:23 The Fourteenth Amendment [Lecture 4] by Thomas Woodsby LibertyInOurTime 5,165 views
- 9:07 Rand Paul insults libertariansby AdamKokesh 7,390 views
- 9:35 Bailed-Out Insurer Aig Mulling Lawsuit Aginst The Gov't - Judge Napolitano On Cavutoby Massteaparty 238 views
- 5:07 Judge Napolitano Endorses Ron Paul, Slaughters Romney And Santorum-FoxBusiness.mp4by GordonWayneWatts 2,489 views
- Loading more suggestions...