Mig-29 crash at Paris Air Show Le Bourget 1989
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 23, 2007
On the opening day (8th June 1989) Mikoyan test pilot Anatoliy Kvochur was making a demonstration flight in the single-seater Mig-29 '303' Blue. During the high-alpha/low-speed pass at 160m (525ft) that was to conclude the Fulcrum's aerobatic display, the starboard engine surged, belching a sheet of flame. Kvochur immediately selected full afterburner for the working engine; however at 180km/h (111mph) he had insufficient rudder and aileron authority to counter the trust asymmetry and the result was inevitably an irrecoverable departure.
The engine failed at 13hrs 44mins 57sec; the stricken fighter immediately yawed and rolled to starboard, the nose "falling through" until the aircraft entered a vertical dive at 13:45:01. 2.5 seconds later Kvochur ejected at 92m (302ft) after making sure that the aircraft would not hit the spectators. At 13:45:05 the fighter hit the ground beside the runway erupting into a fireball. The pilot landed a mere 30m (98ft) from the wreckage, the ejection seat impacted right next to him.
To give a credit where credit is due, the airport's rescue & fire-fighting team was on the scene 55 seconds after the crash. Kvochur was rushed to hospital, but was released the same day with nothing worse than bruises and a cut above his right eyebrow from the oxygen mask. Indeed he had been extremely lucky as he had ejected outside the seat's operating envelope, not to mention the proximity of the fireballs and the falling ejection seat. Yet the incident spoke a lot for the design of the Zvezda K-36DM ejection seat, while the Mig-29 demonstrated its structural integrity by burying its entire forward fuselage, including the cockpit, in the ground before exploding.
The Mig-29 has suffered at least 2 lightning strikes immediately before the accident. However, EXAMINATION OF THE WRECKAGE AND THE FDR ANALYSIS REVEALED THAT THE STARBOARD ENGINE HAD BEEN CRITICALLY DAMAGED BY MULTIPLE BIRDSTRIKES.
Pilot Anatoly Kvochur
Check this scan out
Excerpt from video "Test pilots. Survive in an accident" (Летчики-испытатели. Выжить в катастрофе) , created/produced by Wings of Russia Studio.
Standard YouTube License
- 12:49 2009 NAF El Centro Air Show - C-17 Demo.by 8081rt Featured 170,480
- 3:07 Pilot ejects milliseconds before Mig 29 Crashby swampfoot394,302 views
- 2:33 Boeing C-17 Globemaster crash B-52 Jet Crash All Hell breaks loose Roy Dawson Realtor videoby Roy Dawson5,803,577 views
- 41:03 Fastest Planes: Russian MIG-25 Foxbatby SUPERIOR HISTORY169,659 views
- 8:16 Paris Air Show 2013 - Su-35 vertical take-off + Air Show (HD)by Cargospotter77,498 views
- 9:43 Su-27PD - Anatoly Kvochurby Tsobanian281,160 views
- 2:58 Worst Ever AIRSHOW CRASH ramstein.wmvby singlebluepixel196,462 views
- 4:40 1993 RIAT Russian Mig 29`s (Crash)by m0j0NL1,446,908 views
- 3 videos Play all Airplane Crash - Salgareda 09/09/1990by ruge75
- 3:41 F117 Stealth Jet Crashby robertcg79001,721,378 views
- 3:14 FA-18 El Toro Airshow Crashby Capactiance518,911 views
- 51:54 Historie MIGu - История МиГby karel slezák21,558 views
- 8:24 From The Pilots Seat - MIG29 To The Edge Of Space and Gravitational Stressby SPACE AFFAIRS26,453 views
- 4:36 Svetlana Kapanina - FAI EAF Riga 2011 - 3rd Place Winnerby kempas147,443 views
- 4:32 Brave Pilots Emerge after ejecting from fighter Jet 3.AVIby Sally Scanie40,121 views
- 52:23 Serbian MiG29 pilots vs NATO in 1999 - personal accounts part 1/2.aviby galarsfc75,723 views
- 2:23 Thunderbird Crash Video 2by H3IIKaT2,187,597 views
- 41:04 Soviet Fighters: MiG 29by SUPERIOR HISTORY95,855 views
- 10:00 Mishap of B-52 at Fairchild Air Force Base Washingtonby ATFSCrash8,153,486 views
- 7:53 Mig 29 OVT Thrust vectoring (closeup and display) at RIAT'06by piloteer622,305 views