Mig-29 crash at Paris Air Show Le Bourget 1989
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 23, 2007
On the opening day (8th June 1989) Mikoyan test pilot Anatoliy Kvochur was making a demonstration flight in the single-seater Mig-29 '303' Blue. During the high-alpha/low-speed pass at 160m (525ft) that was to conclude the Fulcrum's aerobatic display, the starboard engine surged, belching a sheet of flame. Kvochur immediately selected full afterburner for the working engine; however at 180km/h (111mph) he had insufficient rudder and aileron authority to counter the trust asymmetry and the result was inevitably an irrecoverable departure.
The engine failed at 13hrs 44mins 57sec; the stricken fighter immediately yawed and rolled to starboard, the nose "falling through" until the aircraft entered a vertical dive at 13:45:01. 2.5 seconds later Kvochur ejected at 92m (302ft) after making sure that the aircraft would not hit the spectators. At 13:45:05 the fighter hit the ground beside the runway erupting into a fireball. The pilot landed a mere 30m (98ft) from the wreckage, the ejection seat impacted right next to him.
To give a credit where credit is due, the airport's rescue & fire-fighting team was on the scene 55 seconds after the crash. Kvochur was rushed to hospital, but was released the same day with nothing worse than bruises and a cut above his right eyebrow from the oxygen mask. Indeed he had been extremely lucky as he had ejected outside the seat's operating envelope, not to mention the proximity of the fireballs and the falling ejection seat. Yet the incident spoke a lot for the design of the Zvezda K-36DM ejection seat, while the Mig-29 demonstrated its structural integrity by burying its entire forward fuselage, including the cockpit, in the ground before exploding.
The Mig-29 has suffered at least 2 lightning strikes immediately before the accident. However, EXAMINATION OF THE WRECKAGE AND THE FDR ANALYSIS REVEALED THAT THE STARBOARD ENGINE HAD BEEN CRITICALLY DAMAGED BY MULTIPLE BIRDSTRIKES.
Pilot Anatoly Kvochur
Check this scan out
Excerpt from video "Test pilots. Survive in an accident" (Летчики-испытатели. Выжить в катастрофе) , created/produced by Wings of Russia Studio.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:00 Chinook CH-47 RAF HC Mk2/2A Boeing helicoptor - tactical, landing with reverse takeoff!by Robert GipsonFeatured 4,447,009
- 10:00 Mishap of B-52 at Fairchild Air Force Base Washingtonby Flight Safety 7,420,457 views
- 3:07 Pilot ejects milliseconds before Mig 29 Crashby swampfoot 199,748 views
- 4:28 Mig-29 crash at Batajnica (LYBT)by mitrowsky 24,378 views
- 2:36 Russia Su-30 Crush！by jw jw 260,959 views
- 44 videos Play all Aircraftby FowkesSteve
- 3:41 F117 Stealth Jet Crashby robertcg7900 1,300,605 views
- 3:13 FA-18 El Toro Airshow Crashby Capactiance 469,302 views
- 5:00 Авария Су-30МК в Ле Бурже-99by WingsOfRussia 66,114 views
- 1:27 MiG-29 Crashby Documental Footages and Films 44,076 views
- 1:16 Mig 29 Airshow Crash 1989by 46andco 196,116 views
- 2:02 Farnborough Air Crashby BILLYKARLOFF 346,709 views
- 7:35 crash airplaneby pontbriand automne 3,434,786 views
- 1:45 F16 Crash Idaho 2003by megaplopp 656,794 views
- 0:58 Biplane Air Show Crashby roggezzinho 286,401 views
- 0:41 Mig 29 aircraft accidentby DouglasK11 2,711,571 views
- 2:20 Thunderbird Crash Video 2by H3IIKaT 1,966,176 views
- 3:15 Mig 29 Air Demoby oldfoghorn 353,717 views
- 0:24 AIR SHOW CRASH!!!!!!!!by ffugallo 639,257 views
- 3:20 New Boeing 747-8 undergoes extreme testingby Boeing 266,577 views
- 0:53 Mig-29 life and deathby Erkin Nasriddinov 235,775 views
- Loading more suggestions...