Guinness Dark Life (60sec TV Ad)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 31, 2010
Last year Guinness produced a really cool New Year's Eve experience as part of their Guinness 250 campaign (posts http://www.digitology.ie/2010/01/guin... and http://www.digitology.ie/2010/01/guin...). In true epic form Guinness have again produced something new this year. You may have seen the new Guinness ad already in the cinema (where it went live from December 17th) but it wasn't seen on tv until this evening when it was aired in Ireland exclusively. The ad, entitled 'Dark Life', is all about Guinness's life and energy from its unique swirls and surges from a settling a pint of Guinness. The ad was shot in various locations including Hong Kong, Columbia and New York.
Speaking about the new ad, Head of Marketing for Guinness, Tanya Clarke said "Guinness is an iconic Irish brand that is celebrated globally and at the heart of our new ad is the idea that there is more life in the dark. Daytime scenes from around the globe are transformed by the coming of a magical liquid which brings on the night. The captivating film connects with consumers across borders and cultures."
The Ad Storyboard:
From East Village in New York, the liquid swirl continues on a journey of vitality throughout the ad. Dark Life is unveiled as we see people gathering together in anticipation of something exciting. They begin to unite in field where they start to build a bonfire. As the stunning sky comes alive, darkness falls.
Then we see a woman happily sitting on a swing, waiting patiently as the magical liquid darkness appears. Then a couple are seen excitedly running through a field chasing the liquid darkness. We then see a flash of a steel works station on the edge of a remote town. Then quickly it pans to an urban scene where we see a train heading into the striking sky line. From there we are transported back to East Village where the young guy is seen joining his mates in a bar.
As the energy builds we are presented with a bicycle light in Hong Kong, As the camera pans out it reveals hundreds of people cycling with their lights beaming and creating a sense of occasion and togetherness. From there we are taken back to Hong Kong where a beautiful colourful light scene is formed as the day turns into night
As the liquid surge in the sky unveils magical scenes we see people celebrating and enjoying life in the dark. By the bonfire, in a field, on the busy street of Hong, all bringing to life the unique energy of the Guinness surge.
Some interesting facts about the ad: * The street drummer at start was found on youtube. * The surge effect was achieved by constructing a special tank into which pieces of wood matching the shape of buildings in the specific shot were placed. Then liquid was injected and shot at very high speed. This replicated the liquid night descending around the buildings. * Bicycles Scene: 75 cast members were recruited on the street. Streets cannot be closed for filming in Hong Kong, so the ad was shot around the constant busy traffic. * The New York Fire Department assisted by opening the fire hydrants for shooting the street dancing scene. * The cornfield shoot was shot through the night and only stopped shooting when dawn light prevented us from continuing. * The ad was shot on a traditional 35 mm film and Canon 5D. The 5D gave great freedom when shooting on the streets as it is light and easy to transport. * The skyline shots were all shot from the top of buildings. Over many hours the skylines were captured as darkness fell and these different exposures were then combined in post production.
The music track used in the ad is entitled '10 mile stereo' by the band Beach House. The American indie rock duo from Baltimore recently played a sold out gig in Vicar Street. Their third and latest album released this year, received positive critical and commercial reaction. Their track '10 mile stereo' was chosen as it "perfectly carries and enhances the magical, uplifting energy of the ad" said Irish International BBDO's Mark Nutley.
The ad was directed by the award winning French director, Frederic Planchon and was joint production between the Guinness marketing and BBDO teams of both Ireland and Great Britain. Frederic is a prestigious French director, whose work has been recognised globally including the Masters of Advertising, where he won Director of the Year and at Cannes where he picked up a Silver Lion for Jeep Treacherous Terrain. He continues to be a prolific, and much sought after director worldwide.
Frederic Planchon about the new Guinness ad, "The different parts of the ad combine to create an atmospheric arc that starts at the end of a normal working day around the world, and culminates in a New York bar where the surging of a freshly pulled pint mirrors the urgent buzz and anticipation of a New York City night getting underway outside".
Standard YouTube License
- 6:09 Stretchiest Skin - Dehnbarste Haut der Welt! - Guinness World Recordby Guinness World RecordsFeatured 6,699,679
- 1:26:02 Arthur Guiness Bday Bash 2012 - 2granby 2gran 625 views
- 2:56 Beach House Interview (April 2011)by Fuse On Demand 32,352 views
- 1:01 Guinness Dark Life (60sec TV Ad - HD)by Christian Hughes 9,238 views
- 4:47 Beach House - 10 Mile Stereo - Conan 12/20/2010by kjweel 26,289 views
- 1:05 Best Guiness World Recordby e7ernal 8,691,078 views
- Guinness 13,197 videos42
- 4:27 Beach House - Better Timesby Milja Radovanović 1,278,019 views
- 1:03 Guinness Evolution (High Quality)by vidmio 108,229 views
- 131 videos Play all GUINNESS ADSby sfirishpablo
- 7:31 Conan Visits The Dublin Guinness Brewery - CONAN on TBSby Team Coco 339,934 views
- 1:01 Mic Christopher - Guinness 'Quarrel' feat. Heydayby Irish Music Central 20,888 views
- 0:40 New Guinness ad-Irish version, Jan 2010by so600 33,220 views
- 6:20 Beach House: Used To Beby Shoot The Player 768,417 views
- 0:30 To Arthur Guinness adby youmeeverybodytube 54,888 views
- 1:01 Guinness advert - "Men and women shouldn't live together"by OgilvyMuseum 406,832 views
- 0:59 Guinness Fly Through Twice Advert (Chain)by ssssmajeure's channel 40,545 views
- 1:02 Guinness 'This is Rugby Country' 60sec TV Adby Christian Hughes 13,721 views
- 0:59 Guinness Horse Surfer Adby Nixs NZ 379,628 views
- 1:01 Best Guinness adby 6923100 10,562 views
- 1:29 BEST AD EVER - Winner Of 2010 Best TV Advertisement Awardby fisthunder 3,416,086 views
- 0:49 Guiness Beer Commercialby james heward 12,390 views
- Loading more suggestions...