Jerry Butler - "Make It Easy On Yourself" (1962)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 18, 2010
Jerry Butler (born Jerry Butler Jr., December 8, 1939, Sunflower, Mississippi) is an American soul singer and songwriter. He is also noted as being the original lead singer of the R&B vocal group, The Impressions, as well as a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee.
Butler is also an American politician. He serves as a Commissioner for Cook County, Illinois, having first been elected in 1985. As a member of this 17-member county board, he chairs the Health and Hospitals Committee, and serves as Vice Chair of the Construction Committee.
The mid 1950s had a profound impact on Butler's life. He grew up poor, having lived in Chicago's Cabrini Green housing complex. Music and the church provided solace from a city that was as segregated as those in the Deep South. He performed in a church choir with Curtis Mayfield. As a teenager, Butler sang in a gospel quartet called Northern Jubilee Gospel Singers, along with Mayfield. Mayfield, a guitar player, became the lone instrumentalist for the six-member Roosters group, which later became The Impressions. Inspired by Sam Cooke and the Soul Stirrers, the Five Blind Boys of Mississippi, and the Pilgrim Travelers, getting into the music industry seemed inevitable.
Butler's younger brother, Billy Butler, also had a career in the music industry.
Butler wrote the song "For Your Precious Love" (which is ranked #327 on the Rolling Stone magazine's list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time) and wanted to record a disc. Looking for recording studios, The Impressions auditioned for Chess Records and Vee-Jay Records. The group eventually signed with Vee-Jay, where they released "For Your Precious Love" in 1958. It became The Impressions' first hit and gold record.
Butler was dubbed the "Iceman" by WDAS Philadelphia disc jockey, Georgie Woods, while performing in a Philadelphia theater.
He co-wrote, with Otis Redding, the song "I've Been Loving You Too Long" in 1965. Butlers solo career had a string of hits, including the Top 10 successes "He Will Break Your Heart", "Find Another Girl", "I'm A-Telling You" (all written by fellow Impression Curtis Mayfield and featuring Mayfield as harmony vocal), the million selling "Only the Strong Survive," "Moon River," "Need To Belong" (recorded with the Impressions after he went solo), "Make It Easy On Yourself," "Let It Be Me" (with Betty Everett), "Brand New Me," "Ain't Understanding Mellow" (with Brenda Lee Eager), "Hey, Western Union Man", and "Never Give You Up." Butler released two successful albums, The Ice Man Cometh (1968) and Ice On Ice (1970). The Ice Man Cometh garnered Butler three Grammy nominations. He collaborated on many of his successful recordings with the Philadelphia-based songwriting team, Gamble and Huff. With Motown, in 1976 and 1977, Butler produced and co-produced (with Paul David Wilson) two albums: 1.) Suite For The Single Girl and 2.) It All Comes Out In My Song.
Tony Orlando and Dawn revived "He Will Break Your Heart" in 1975, with a new title, "He Don't Love You (Like I Love You)," and it was more successful than Butler's original, going to #1 on the US Billboard Hot 100 pop chart.
Subsequently, Butler and Wilson produced an album with Dee Dee Sharp-Gamble with Philadelphia International. In 1981 with "Breaking and Entering" / "Easy Money," from Sharp-Gamble's album Dee Dee, Butler/Wilsons production spent four weeks at number one on the Hot Dance Music/Club Play chart and Dance Chart Billboard.
Butler continues to perform while serving as a Cook County Board Commissioner since the 1980s. As Cook County Commissioner, Butler voted to uphold a historical 2008 Cook County sales tax increase, which remains the highest in the nation. As a result the Chicago Tribune has encouraged people to vote against him in the 2010 elections.
In recent years, he has served as host of PBS TV music specials such as Doo Wop 50 and 51, Rock Rhythm and Doo Wop, and Soul Spectacular: 40 years of R&B, among others. He has also served as Chairman of the Board of the Rhythm and Blues Foundation. In 1991, Butler was inducted, along with the other original members of the Impressions (Curtis Mayfield, Sam Gooden, Fred Cash, and Arthur and Richard Brooks) into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Most recently, blues-rock duo The Black Keys covered "Never Give You Up" on their 2010 album, Brothers
He currently resides in Chicago with his wife, Annette. He has two sons, Randy and Tony, and a grandson.
Birth name Jerry Butler, Jr.
Born December 8, 1939 (1939-12-08) (age 70)
Sunflower, Mississippi, United States
Origin Chicago, Illinois
Genres Soul, R&B, funk, Chicago soul
Occupations Singer, songwriter, record producer, multi-instrumentalist
Instruments Singing, guitar, electric guitar, bass, piano, saxophone, drums
Years active 1958 present
Labels Vee-Jay, Mercury, Motown, Rhino
Associated acts The Impressions, Curtis Mayfield
Standard YouTube License
- 7:17 TRUCKERS TO RIDE ON D.C.! CALL FOR ALL AMERICANS TO "STRIKE"! DO NOT GO ANYWHERE OCT. 11 TO 13!by marty lamb46,986 views
- 24:03 Dionne Warwick - Make It Easy On Yourself (Vinyl Album)by MissLongPlaylist3,227 views
- 3:24 Dionne Warwick - Don't Make Me Over (1962)by RoundMidnightTV6,822 views
- 3:11 The Beatles - Twist and Shout (live)by In The Life of...The Beatles743,743 views
- 3:07 Jerry Butler I Stand Accusedby sixtiesbrowser152,356 views
- 2:56 DIONNE WARWICK-"DO YOU KNOW THE WAY TO SAN JOSE" (LYRICS)by rwells474,124 views
- 2:47 Dionne Warwick - Make It Easy On Yourself (1963)by RoundMidnightTV9,434 views
- 2:44 Jerry Butler - Make It Easy On Yourself (1962)by xunclexx3,799 views
- 49 videos Play all Little Willie John Mixby rachel1924
- 3:07 Tribute to Dionne Warwickby Shabannie2,710 views
- 2:35 Twist And Shout- The Isley Brothers-'1962- 45-Wand 124.wmvby Amnondoowop3,087 views
- 3:54 ♥♪♫ He Will Break Your Heart ♪♫♥ (Cover by FrAnK PeReZ)by FrAnK PeReZ833 views
- 10:42 Barry Gibb, Stephen Gibb & Ashley Gibb - The Music 2004-2012by israelifan28,576 views
- 2:58 Deep Thoughtsby TahJTv99 views
- 2:45 Jerry Butler , He Will Break Your Heart , VeeJay 354,US.by jan van leeuwen69 views
- 3:14 The Beatles Live with Jimmy Nicol - Twist And Shoutby In The Life of...The Beatles128 views
- 2:51 THE SENSATIONS - TWO CAN MAKE IT (WAY OUT)by alexsoul09235 views
- 2:10 Jerry Butler , Aware Of Love , Imperial 1001,NL.by jan van leeuwen12 views
- 1:59 R&b group *First Impression*by MrYadaleo30 views