EU economies set for stormy 2013
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Feb 22, 2013
http://www.euronews.com/ Only a few weeks ago, EU officials were patting each other on the back and declaring that the euro crisis is over.
Now the European Commission's own forecasts published on Friday say the continent's economic woes will continue.
Olli Rehn, the EU's economic commissioner, acknowledged the "disappointing hard data from the end of last year", but claimed that there were encouraging signs in the "growing investor confidence in the future".
Eurocrats in Brussels have crunched the EU's numbers and it is not pretty reading.
Their latest study predicts the eurozone economy will shrink by 0.3 percent this year.
That's revised down from November's outlook, which saw growth of 0.1 percent.
If politicians and bankers think the single currency crisis has been consigned to the history books, try telling that to unemployed people in heavily-indebted EU countries.
Greece has an employment rate of 27 percent, whilst Spain is closed behind with 26.9 percent.
The EU's export-driven economies such as Austria and Germany fare much better.
Yet worries remain about the Netherlands, which is struggling from a consumer spending slump.
One economist says the EU needs to rethink its economic policies.
Hans Martens, chief executive of the European Policy Centre, stresses that Europe has taken the wrong way to recover.
"This is a disaster not only for let's say the European institutions but also for member states because this is a reminder that they have not done enough they have simply not done enough to stimulate growth and jobs," he told euronews.
The question now is whether the Commission will wield its new powers to force member states to take a more disciplined line on public spending.
Find us on:
Standard YouTube License
- 25:27 HYPERINFLATION and SILVER CONFISCATION COMING? - BrotherJohnF & Chris Duane - PT 2by UnconventionalFINFeatured 12,798
- 7:35 euronews interview - Dario Fo: 'What had taken centuries to create in Italy was degraded in a very short time'by Euronews 794 views
- 12:01 Gravity's grip on earthby Euronews 1,173 views
- 0:57 Patriot missiles in Turkey 'for defence only'by Euronews 1,592 views
- 0:55 Torrential rain floods Sicily and Athensby Euronews 1,788 views
- 9:40 heute-show (02.03.2013) - Von Clowns und Italienernby 123kundus 521 views
- 2:14 May 3 2013 Mass economic protests Portugal & Spain - End Times News 4-26-13by u2bheavenbound 12,309 views
- 24:27 'Europe on verge of economic Apartheid'by PressTVGlobalNews 2,467 views
- 4:43 Last chance for Italy?by FinancialTimesVideos 1,235 views
- 14:13 'US Hides Real Debt, In Worse Shape Than Greece' - Economic / Economy Collapse is HEREby EconomyCommodityNews 40,093 views
- 12:37 US Economic Collapse 2013 - Be Prepared!by EconomyCommodityNews 180,046 views
- 27:04 Made in Italyby journeymanpictures 18,569 views
- 5:31 17 reasons Obama economic policies will accelerate the collapse of the U.S. economyby JonnyRushour 462 views
- 25:16 Max Keiser: Germany strangling other EU economiesby PressTVGlobalNews 7,232 views
- 21:20 James Rickards (Currency Wars: The Making of the Next Global Crisis): No Way Fed Will Stop Easingby KitcoNews 20,841 views
- 11:00 RON PAUL : 2013 World Economic Collapse Predicitonby EconomyCommodityNews 43,019 views
- 25:49 Keiser Report - Episode 411by World Economic News 523 views
- 56:35 Jeremy Clarkson - The Most Outrageous Video In The World Ever (FULL)by Onion Boy 482,568 views
- 24:04 'EU crisis political, beyond economy'by PressTVGlobalNews 577 views
- 1:55 WWE's Racist Tea Party Stunt - Greg Gutfeld (2-19-13)by MrCensorMe1 9,798 views
- Loading more suggestions...