The Truth About Major Label Deals & Why You Should Support Indie Artists
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 9, 2010
⇓ ⇓ ⇓ ⇓ ⇓ EXPAND FOR MORE INFO ⇓ ⇓ ⇓ ⇓ ⇓
►Please join my mailing list◄ http://www.natalie-brown.com/list.htm
This is the ONLY reliable way of me getting info to you and getting info about where you live so I can attempt to plan what cities to bring my live show to.
►Buy my music◄ http://www.natalie-brown.com/music.html
Each purchase is guaranteed to make you feel good because when you buy it, you support Independent music!
Hi guys! Just keep in mind that this video is a call to action about supporting Independent artists rather than trying to be a complain-fest about major labels. A complain-fest is another topic for another vlog!
Hope you have had a fab week and that the weekend has been enjoyable. I've been taking the weekend to re-set and am enjoying it as it's much needed.
This video really only scratches the surface on the realities of the music business and is based on my personal experience in the business dealing on the Major and Indie levels. Stats are taken from reports from media transcripts from conference panel session press reports and from my own personal knowledge. I hope to delve a little deeper in some future vlogs. I think it's very important to bring awareness and banish some myths that keep on being perpetuated. These myths cause confusion and unrealistic expectations which makes some artists' creative journey that much more difficult.
For more info and stats see:
IFPI (International Federation of the Phonographic Industry): http://www.ifpi.org
Indie acts rely mainly on the consistent support of fans to continue to create their art, earn a living and get the word out, as opposed to Major label artists who have the financial and marketing backing of a corporation or corporations. Please support Indie artists and don't wait for them to get at Major deal or become 'famous' to show your support. Buy their music now, spread the word now and attend shows if they do them. Some artists may have the chance to see if a Major label home is the right one for them, but many will not or will chose not to go down that path for various reasons. The Indie career path is a legitimate choice, just like the one of going the Major label route. A Major label deal does not validate talent.
Please take time out to check out the artists I mentioned in this video. There are many more that I'd like to introduce you to and will do so in other videos.
More links for the artists mentioned in the video:
Thanks for tuning in and c ya next week.
Standard YouTube License
- 6 videos Play all YouTube Mix
- 4:31 Income Solutions for Independent and Major Label Artistsby ArtistsHouseMusicFeatured 7,376
- 8:58 How to write a song, and the recording process!by nataliemedia 3,129 views
- 5:17 My 90 Day Challenge Results and I Didn't Mean To Say It THAT Way!!!by Natalie Brown 26,236 views
- 3:34 Bugs, Behind the scenes at a session, Why I don't do beats or trendy songs.by nataliemedia 601 views
- 5:10 Electricity, My Live Shows & Endless Tube of Toothpaste :)by nataliemedia 818 views
- 33 videos Play all Entertainment Industry Educationby SunnyBlackBx
- 10:00 Hip Hop 1: Start Your Own Independent Music Label Part 1by asafari3 33,067 views
- 11:51 MUSIC - Marketing Blueprint (Internet Music Marketing Strategy Guide!)by Mark Crampton 11,426 views
- 7:32 How to Sell 200,000 CDs Without a Record Company - Ty Cohenby tycohen 125,125 views
- 1:08:02 daddy yankee prestige completoby zaryk albums 9,613 views
- 5:21 The Reality of Artist Development Deals at Major Labelsby ArtistsHouseMusic 16,132 views
- 6:40 Music Industry: Exposed What The Major Labels Don't Want You To Know Music Industryby brandonorisbrown 23,658 views
- 3:54 Advice for Indie Artists from Derek Sivers (Founder, CDBaby)by standalonerecords 27,083 views
- 2:15 360 vs Traditional Record Label Deals: What you need to knowby Richard Berger 6,820 views
- 5:38 Starting and Financing an Independent Record Labelby ArtistsHouseMusic 29,075 views
- 2:12 Jermaine Dupri Telling THE TRUTH!by thehiphopmanifesto 130,447 views
- 8:52 GRIMEUMENTRY - MUSIC LABEL WARS Part 1 OF 2 [REAL TALK]by lowbudgettv 3,817 views
- 3:13 How to Start A Record Label by Bro. Steve Harrisby Bro. Steve Harris 14,502 views
- 5:49 Getting Distribution for Your Album as an Independent Artistby ArtistsHouseMusic 12,464 views
- 3:34 Getting Signed To A Major Record Labelby Richard Jefferson 51,506 views
- 6:01 How Record Labels Earn Money under Copyright Lawby Artists House Music 6,068 views
- Loading more suggestions...