Rick Perry Gets Slammed for Comparing Civil Rights to Tax Cuts
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 24, 2011
Footage captured by American Bridge 21st Century provided the inspiration for a segment on the Ed Show about Rick Perry's thoughtless comparison of the civil rights movement to the fight for lower taxes.
This segment was aired on August 23, 2011.
ED SCHULTZ: Welcome back to the Ed Show, and thanks for watching tonight. Okay, a couple of stories relating to Rick Perry, now, the governor of Texas. He keeps on hitting them out of the park, doesn't he? In his latest far-fetched remarks, he actually tries to connect the civil rights movement to the fight for low taxes. He was campaigning in Rock Hill, South Carolina, when a reporter said the town was celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Friendship Nine sit-in, an important part of the nation's civil rights movement. Perry was asked to comment on it.
PERRY: Listen, America's gone a long way, standpoint of civil rights and thank God we have. I mean we've gone from a country's that made great strides in issues of civil rights. I think we all can be proud of that. And as we go forward, America needs to be about freedom. It needs to be about freedom from overtaxation, freedom from over-litigation, freedom from over-regulation. And Americans regardless of what their cultural or ethnic background is they need to know that they can come to America and you got a chance to have any dream come true because the economic climate is gonna be improved.
ED SCHULTZ: The guy is no doubt smooth. You can't deny it. Maybe Perry didn't know about the Friendship Nine sit-in, but 50 years ago, a group of African-Americans went to jail after refusing to leave a segregated lunch counter in Rock Hill, South Carolina. But Perry did know it was a question about the nation's civil rights movement, and he chose to connect it with the Republican obsession with taxes, regulations and trial lawyers. Nice one, Perry.
- 3:09 Rick Perry Compares Civil Rights to Tax Cutsby americanbridge21st753 views
- 3:26 2011 at American Bridge 21st Centuryby americanbridge21st731 views
- 2:20 The Dangerous Cowboy Takes on Social Securityby americanbridge21st1,201 views
- 2:47 Rick Perry on moving the retirement age to 70 or 'whatever'by americanbridge21st157 views
- 54:19 HBO Real Time with Bill Maher New Rules Best of 2013by ThePurpleKharma640,345 views
- 14:06 Ron Paul Destroys MSNBC's Alex Wagner On Syriaby djgabrielpresents87,538 views
- 26:03 How Ron Paul Was Cheated Out Of Presidencyby ThinkOutsideTheTV162,301 views
- 6:21 2013 - Ron Paul Exposes Obama Martial Law Plans!!!by Top10GamingOfficial388,639 views
- 14:14 Candidates Beat Up on Rick Perry, Only Ron Paul Draws Bloodby RevolutionNewsUS6,529 views
- 9:32 Ron Paul: Obamacare 'A Conspiracy Of Stupidity'by selfownership116,816 views
- 13:49 The Ed Show 2011-09-08 Ed Schultz reacts to joint session congress jobs bill speech President Obamaby TheDavySprotsj344 views
- 12:14 Ron Paul's Greatest Debate Performance Ever (10-18-2011)by KramerDSP575,347 views
- 25:34 Bill Maher New Rules About Religion Collectionby Agatan Fnd452,642 views
- 7:31 Anderson Cooper reports Michele Bachmann & Rick Santorum anti gay documentby PeterGay7,465 views
- 22:15 Rick Perry vs. Martin O'Malley on CNN's "Crossfire" 9/17/2013 Part FULL Videoby rcpvideo10,057 views
- 9:54 Jay-Z on Real Time with Bill Maher - 8/2/2013by RealViews384,360 views
- 9:15 Bill Maher New Rules FULL Segment - Kennedy, Reagan, Obama & Clinton - November 22, 2013 Finaleby TheLiberalActivist20,553 views
- 5:50 Ron Paul Finally Shuts Bill oReilly up Someone had to do itby Bashananal804,773 views
- 22:21 Ron Paul Defines Libertarianism - Charlie Rose Interview (Full)by SaveOurLiberty37,045 views
- 5:52 Ed Schultz on Jobs Protestsby rebuildthedream688 views
- Loading more suggestions...