Christopher Hitchens, God And Cancer.
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 6, 2010
Science & Reason on Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/ScienceReason
Hitch-22 - Christopher Hitchens, God And Cancer. Anderson Cooper's interview, CNN AC360°, 5 August 2010, with author and outspoken atheist Christopher Hitchens on his cancer diagnosis and whether it has changed his thoughts on God.
Please subscribe to Science & Reason:
Anderson Cooper: "I just flew down to Washington to talk with author Christopher Hitchens. He was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in June, and is currently undergoing chemotherapy. Many people upon receiving a cancer diagnosis would ask 'why me?' Hitchens's answer, is 'why not me?' Much of his hair has fallen out, but he seems strong as ever. We discussed whether his diagnosis has in any way altered his well-known opinion of religion and prayer."
Author Stephen Prothero's CNN blog about Christopher Hitchens:
Books of The Times: In Memoir, Christopher Hitchens Looks Back
(Review by Dwight Garner)
... "Hitch-22 - A Memoir" traces Mr. Hitchens's coming of age as a public intellectual and as a man, and charts the long and serrated arc of his thinking about politics, from his early days as a militant member of the International Socialists to his gradual drift toward positions, like his support for the Iraq War, that have made some on the left scratch their heads.
Anyone who's closely read Mr. Hitchens's work — including his best-selling manifesto "God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything" (2007) — or seen him do battle on cable news programs, knows that he has a mind like a Swiss Army knife, ready to carve up or unbolt an opponent's arguments with a flick of the wrist. He holds dear the serious things, the things that matter: social justice, learning, direct language, the free play of the mind, loyalty, holding public figures to high standards.
His mental Swiss Army knife also contains, happily, a corkscrew. Mr. Hitchens is devoted to wit and bawdy wordplay and to good Scotch and cigarettes (though he has recently quit smoking) and long nights spent talking. He is also devoted to friendship. "Hitch-22" is among the loveliest paeans to the dearness of one's friends — Mr. Hitchens's close ones include Martin Amis, Salman Rushdie and the poet James Fenton — I've ever read. The business and pleasure sides of Mr. Hitchens's personality can make him seem, whether you agree with him or not, among the most purely alive people on the planet.
"Hitch-22" does a sleek, funny job of rolling out his life story. He was born in 1949 in Portsmouth, into a less-than-bookish family: his father was a career navy man. Mr. Hitchens was precocious. According to family legend, his first complete sentence was "Let's all go and have a drink at the club." ...
• Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/02/boo...
(c) 2010 Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Standard YouTube License
- 56:52 Christopher Hitchens - On Q and Aby Christopher Hitchens Featured 32,995
- 9:13 Christopher Hitchens On Suffering, Beliefs And Dying - Interviewby actarus78,239 views
- 29:41 Christopher Hitchens - Last Public Appearance - Dawkins Award by GodlessUK34,275 views
- 14:33 RICHARD DAWKINS takes on ISLAM on Al Jazeera TVby Atheist Digest43,301 views
- 8:33 Christopher Hitchens Hitchslaps Silly Pastor - "Does god Exist?"by mccainisthroughX561,073 views
- 11:10 Penn And Teller BS Christopher Hitchens on Mother Teresaby ChristopherHitchslap260,906 views
- 1:08 Hitchens' Words of Farewell: 'Remember the love bit'by coolazice227,075 views
- 53:09 Christopher Hitchens "All Of Life Is A Wager"by CSPANJUNKIEd0tORG252,258 views
- 12:59 Christianity is False and Immoral. (Christopher Hitchens)by bdwilson1000166,566 views
- 14:41 Charlie Rose Interviews Christopher Hitchens August 2010 (Part 1 of 4)by RationalThought32165,359 views
- 10:26 Christopher Hitchens vs. God (god loses by the way)by bdwilson100079,389 views
- 45:45 Stephen Fry & friends on the life, loves and hates of Christopher Hitchens - IQ2 talksby iqsquared276,608 views
- 2:11:52 Does God Exist? (Frank Turek vs Christopher Hitchens)by exposedatheists489,728 views
- 1:32:00 Debate: Atheist vs Jew (Christopher Hitchens vs Rabbi David Wolpe)by VeganAtheist23,043 views
- 9:49 When Hitchens Gets Furiousby FFreeThinker21,418,705 views
- 8:26 The Bible - Basis For Our Moral Code?by FFreeThinker239,744 views
- 9:59 Christopher Hitchens on Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, Richard Nixon and Jesse Jackson (1988)by CEHitchens33197,262 views
- 7:57 Christopher Hitchens' latest interview: "It's not a good cancer to get."by qwer4o209,519 views
- 1:33:56 Full Version: Christopher Hitchens and Rabbi Shmuley Boteach Debate on Godby 92nd Street Y965,899 views
- 1:16:34 Christopher Hitchens - The moral necessity of atheism by LeCaNANDian21,267 views
- Loading more suggestions...