Schubert - Der Lindenbaum (Winterreise) - Hermann Prey
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 13, 2010
Hermann Prey/Philippe Bianconi
Winterreise op.89 D.911
5. Der Lindenbaum
Recording: Denon (Friedrich-Ebert-Halle, Hamburg-Harburg, 3-6 April 1984)
Piano: Bösendorfer Imperial
This is the third and last studio recording Hermann Prey made of this cycle, the others dating from 1961 (with Karl Engel, piano) and 1971 (Wolfgang Sawallisch, piano). There is also a live recording from 1978 (with Irwin Gage), a video recording made in 1984 (Helmut Deutsch, piano) and one with orchestra (1997); cf. http://home.tiscali.nl/huibspoorenber....
Postcards: http://www.goethezeitportal.de/index.... (8)
http://www.halftimescores.co.uk/ograp... (Schubert Institute UK) (3)
Illustrations by Lotte Lehmann: http://www.gopera.com/winterreise/art... (2)
The linden (lime) tree is heavy with symbolism. A tree of the germanic myths, it was the sacred tree of the goddess Frigg, Odins spouse, and as such, symbol of motherhood and fertility, and a place of safety. It is a symbol of peace and of love (its leaves are heart-shaped), and of Heimat.
It also marked the central place of community life in germanic times, where council meetings (þing) were held, and open-air courts of law ("iudicium sub tilia"), and as such had similar functions as the forum in ancient Rome. The death penalty was often carried out there and then by hanging the sentenced person from the tree, and it has also attracted suicides well into modern times. The village linden tree served as a centre of social life until very recently (and in some places possibly still does), and village fêtes, dances and open-air worship were held around it.
The linden tree has always been held to have beneficial powers, and preparations made from its various parts have been used to cure many ailments. Waters running close to linden trees were also thought to have healing qualities, which is why municipal wells were often placed next to them (or vice versa).
Translations (English, français, italiano, espagnol, nederlands, Chinese):
I have no intention of violating anyone's rights by using any of this content. Should anyone take issue with me over anything used in this upload, please contact me so that I can put the matter right.
Standard YouTube License
- 49 videos Play all YouTube Mix - Schubert - Der Lindenbaum (Winterreise) - Hermann Prey
- 2:05:26 The Best of Schubertby HALIDONMUSIC Featured 506,642
- 7:46 Hermann Prey and Peter Alexander-Largo al Factotumby Eva Wilding31,309 views
- 5:29 Thomas Hampson sings Schubert's "Lindenbaum"by ClassicalTV54,311 views
- 2:25 Joseph Schmidt - Tiritomba Sera jetteby zwanzigjahr87,733 views
- 1:13:58 Schubert - Winterreise - Prégardien - Staierby Geoffroy de Longuemar12,341 views
- 24 videos Play all Schubert "Winterreise" Hermann Preyby maniakk007
- 5:07 Hermann Prey "Der Lindenbaum"by maniakk00745,300 views
- 1:11:25 Schubert-Die Winterreise D 911 (Complete)by viool798,487 views
- 1:14:31 Fischer-Dieskau & Pollini Schubert Winterreiseby StockhausenIsMyCat .40,035 views
- 6:53 Carl Loewe - Die verfallene Mühle - Hermann Preyby astyanax273,102 views
- 5:39 Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau sings Gute Nacht from Winterreiseby tmtstudio198345,167 views
- 5:14 Hermann Prey "Gute Nacht"by maniakk00735,546 views
- 3:26 Renee Fleming sings Gretchen am Spinnrade by Schubertby tenore2392,230 views
- 2:54 Soldatenlieder "Lilli Marleen" by Lale Andersenby EuropeDefender1,505,448 views
- 1:04:44 FRANZ SCHUBERT - LIEDERZYKLUS - DIE SCHÖNE MÜLLERIN OPUS 25 - HERMANN PREYby berlinzerberus38,792 views
- 3:22 Hermann Prey "Frühlingsglaube" by Schubertby Oneguin6553,789 views
- 1:51:00 Relaxation Piano Music I - Chopin, Schubert, Handel, Brahms & Othersby Kamibambiraptor8,257,857 views
- 2:30 DIE MEISTERSINGER - Der Lindenbaum "Am Brunnen vor dem Tore"by Klaus Breuninger133,540 views
- 1:11:26 Hermann Prey "Die Winterreise" Schubertby Erika Gollan4,355 views
- 3:37 Hermann Prey - In einem kühlen Grundeby Andreas Olesch80,714 views