How to Make Memphis Barbecue
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 18, 2010
See what you can learn on the go with the new Howcast App for iPhone and iPad: http://bit.ly/11ZmFOu
Watch more How to Make Classic Barbecue videos: http://www.howcast.com/guides/178-How...
Subscribe to Howcast's YouTube Channel - http://bit.ly/uLaHRS
In Memphis, barbecue means delectable, dry-rubbed ribs with sauce on the side. Here's how to bring out the taste of Tennessee.
Howcast uploads the highest quality how-to videos daily! Be sure to check out our playlists for guides that interest you: http://bit.ly/ytmainplaylists
Subscribe to Howcast's other YouTube Channels:
Howcast Dance & Entertainment Channel - http://bit.ly/vmB86i
Howcast Family Channel - http://bit.ly/16dz9oH
Howcast Food & Drink Channel - http://bit.ly/umBoJX
Howcast Personal Care & Style Channel - http://bit.ly/vbbNt3
Howcast Sports & Fitness Channel - http://bit.ly/vKjUjm
Howcast Tech Channel - http://bit.ly/rx9FwR
Howcast Video Games Channel - http://bit.ly/tYKKrk
Howcast empowers people with engaging, useful how-to information wherever, whenever they need to know how. Emphasizing high-quality instructional videos, Howcast brings you experts who provide accurate information in easy-to-follow tutorials on everything from makeup, hairstyling, nail art design, and soccer to parkour, skateboarding, dancing, kissing, and much, much more.
Step 1: Ready the pork
Pull off the thin sheet of skin from the back of each rack, and place the ribs on a clean, flat surface.
For a better grip on the skin, use a kitchen towel.
Step 2: Prepare the rub
To prepare the dry rub, mix 1½ tablespoons black pepper, 1½ tablespoons brown sugar, 1½ teaspoons celery salt, 1½ teaspoons cayenne pepper, and 1½ teaspoons garlic powder together with the kosher salt, dry mustard, cumin, and paprika in a mixing bowl.
Step 3: Rub the rub
Put on your gloves and rub two-thirds of the dry rub on both sides of the meat. Cover the meat with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
To enhance the flavor, refrigerate the meat for up to 8 hours.
Step 4: Prepare to 'cue
Oil the grill rack, and prepare the barbecue pit or smoker according to its instructions, using hickory wood chips to flavor the meat. Maintain a temperature between 250 and 300 degrees.
Step 5: Smoke the meat
Put the ribs on the grate bone-side down. Smoke them until the meat is very tender and has shrunk back from the ends of the bone, about an hour to an hour and a half. When you have about 15 minutes of cooking time left, sprinkle the remaining rub on the meat.
Step 6: Cool the meat
Once the meat is finished cooking, remove it from the heat and let it cool for one hour.
Step 7: Prepare the sauce
In a medium saucepan, combine the remaining spices and other ingredients, except the oil. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat and simmer for 25 minutes, then, stir in the oil.
Step 8: Chow down
Place the sauce in a small serving bowl for easy dipping, grab a rib, and dig in!
Did You Know?
The song "Memphis Soul Stew" hit no. 6 on the R&B charts in 1967.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:50 How to Make Carolina Barbecueby Howcast9,468 views
- 3:42 How to Make Kansas City Barbecueby Howcast9,401 views
- 2:58 How to Make Pulled Porkby Howcast10,610 views
- 2:33 How to Make Texas Barbecueby Howcast14,550 views
- 9:53 Hot to Build a Pit BBQ for $250by joedavidsonBBQ312,075 views
- 13:18 PRIME RIB RECIPE - STEP BY STEP PREP AND COOK - AmazingRibs.com METHOD - BBQFOOD4Uby BBQFOOD4U14,030 views
- 6:56 Homemade BBQ Sauces - Pt 2 - Memphis Styleby StokedOnSmoke3,820 views
- 9:09 Memphis-Style BBQ Ribs on America's Test Kitchen Season 11by America's Test Kitchen22,106 views
- 7:42 How To BBQ Championship Ribs By The Champsby Cooking Up a Story479,751 views
- 16:18 Pork and Brisket Injection with Smokin' Mo!by SmokinMosBBQ4,344 views
- 12:21 Competition Rib Recipe - HowToBBQRight Baby Back Rib Methodby Malcom Reed78,679 views
- 5:47 What Are Ribs? / How to make Country Ribs, Memphis Styleby danieldelaney3,694 views
- 8:58 Hugo's Texas BBQ Sauce | Part 1by FOODofLOVE117,832 views
- 3:41 BIG D's SWEET AND SPICY BARBECUE SAUCEby lowjoker7743,979 views
- 6:55 Quick and Easy Homemade BBQ Rubby StokedOnSmoke6,878 views
- 2:38 Carolina BBQ - How to Make a Vinegar Finishing Sauceby MonkeySee31,361 views
- 21:10 World's Best BBQ Ribs & BBQ Sauce Recipeby Keith Lorren68,271 views
- 9:14 How to Make Memphis Style Dry Rub and Hollow (BBQ) Sauceby rldel14968,824 views
- 6:08 Homemade BBQ Sauces - Pt 3 - Kansas City Sweet Rib Sauceby StokedOnSmoke8,866 views
- 4:58 Homemade Barbecue Sauce - Laura Vitale - Laura in the Kitchen Episode 417by Laura in the Kitchen93,714 views
- Loading more suggestions...