Guitar: Give Me The Bus Fare To Laxey (Including lyrics and chords)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 21, 2012
This is a tongue-in-cheek song from the Isle of Man written by Stuart Slack, (see Laxey Wheel; Bulgham Bombshell; Foxdale Miner), The place names in the song are all to be found in the Isle of Man, but the activities he associates with each are fictitious!! (Although I have heard of the Egg Mines at Kewaigue!!!)
The Dalby Spook was reputedly a mongoose which live at a farm, Cashen Gap, near Dalby. According to the only person who actually saw it close up, it was able to talk and claimed to have been born in New Delhi, India, in 1852. Its name was Gef (pronounced Jeff) The following is from an article about Gef in Wikipedia:
By their own account on September 1931, the Irving family, consisting of James, Margaret and 13 year old daughter Voirrey, heard persistent scratching and rustling noises behind their farmhouse's wooden wall panels. Initially they thought it was a rat, but then the unseen creature began making different sounds. At times it spat like a ferret, growled like a dog or gurgled like a baby.
The entity soon revealed an ability to speak and introduced itself as Gef, a mongoose. It claimed to have been born in New Delhi, India, in 1852. According to Voirrey, the only person to see him properly, Gef was the size of a small rat with yellowish fur and a large bushy tail. (The Indian mongoose is in reality much larger than a rat and does not have a bushy tail).
Gef claimed at times to be "an extra extra clever mongoose", an "Earthbound spirit" and "a ghost in the form of a weasel". He once said: "I am a freak. I have hands and I have feet, and if you saw me you'd faint, you'd be petrified, mummified, turned into stone or a pillar of salt!"
He had many characteristics traditionally ascribed to poltergeists, in that he had an uneven temper, threw objects at people, and made exaggerated claims about his powers.
Gef remained friendly towards the Irvings, and joked around with them, though he supposedly went too far the time that he pretended to be poisoned. Gef also supposedly bothered the Irvings' neighbours, spied on them and reported back to the Irvings. James Irving kept diaries about Gef between 1932 and 1935. These diaries, along with reports about the case, are in Harry Price's archives in the Senate House Library, University of London.
The story of Gef became popular in the tabloid press, and many journalists flocked to the Isle to catch a glimpse of the creature.
I have just produced a book of songs under the title "50 Songs from the 'threelegsoman' collection". It is available as a printed book or as an eBook and can be found at:
Standard YouTube License
- 4:43 12-string Guitar: The Loss Of The Manx Herring Fleet (Including lyrics and chords)by threelegsoman684 views
- 4:19 12-string Guitar: Laxey Girls Are The Boys (Including lyrics and chords)by threelegsoman391 views
- 3:00 Guitar: Laxey Wheel (Including lyrics and chords)by threelegsoman934 views
- 5:19 1000th upload: My Island Homeby threelegsoman1,358 views
- 12:01 HD Full throttle - Death @ TT Isle of Man (IOMTT) Road Racingby itsmorevidz2,596,703 views
- 13:07 Stormy Seas at Ramsey, Isle of Manby ffinnywix761 views
- 7:31 THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH♛✔ ★HD★ 322kmh-200mph Street Race ✔ ISLE of MAN TTby lockk92,120,458 views
- 16:38 Isle of Man TT - BEST of the BEST [ORIGINAL Footage] HIGHLIGHTSby RacingHeritage630,425 views
- 28:56 CRAZY Isle of Man TT 2013 in HD with NO MUSICby Jimmy P220,129 views
- 7:15 Action on the Great Laxey Mine Railway (30th July 2011)by theamateurbasher1,098 views
- 7:27 AVRO VULCAN XH558 DISPLAY DOUGLAS,ISLE OF MAN 10 JUNE 2011by D66DuCane939 views
- 13:50 Dueling Network Episode 1: Rise of the Worms.by busfare8,299 views
- 3:29 Walk By The Prom - Douglas, Isle of Manby Manksview1,695 views
- 11:30 World's MOST Dangerous Race ★HD★ World's Greatest Motor-Sporting Event✔ FULL THROTTLE-ISLE of MAN TTby lockk9643,453 views
- 8:01 - - - THE - ROAD - WARRIORS - ✔ ♣_IRISH_✜ ROAD ♛ RACING - ✔ +Southern100, Isle of Man.by lockk94,249,622 views
- 5:58 - That's - A - Man's - Corner - ★HD★ ✔ 322 Km/h 200 MPH_SpecTTacular TT ✔ Isle of man TTby lockk92,552,676 views
- 3:14 Isle of Man TT, bushy`s beer tent burlesque fan feather performance.by Morvic521914 views
- 14:43 Isle of Man TT 2012 - From Start To Finish - HDby Carlos Rodriguez2,275,416 views
- 4:57 ISLE of SPEED 320-Kmh Street Race ✔ ★HD★ 200-Mph - ISLE of MAN TT ♛ ✔ Lindsey Stirling - Elementsby lockk9779,945 views
- 4:53 Old Laxey Hill on an Ebikeby NckBrktt280 views
- Loading more suggestions...