Terrafugia - Flying Car
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 22, 2009
Woburn, MA June 3, 2009: Terrafugia, Inc. has successfully completed the flight testing program designed for its Transition Roadable Aircraft Proof of Concept. Having been dubbed The Flying Car, the Transition completed its historic first flight on March 5, 2009 with 27 additional flights completed over the next several weeks.
The successful completion of flight-testing with the Proof of Concept concludes the first stage of a four stage process to bring the Transition into production. Work is underway on Stage 2, the Beta Prototype. First delivery is expected in 2011.
The Proof of Concept vehicle is the first and only Transition to be built thus far. It has now achieved its goals by demonstrating driving, flying, and automated transformation between the two in one integrated aircraft. The flights conducted a plan set specifically for the Transition: characteristics such as handling, performance, and take-off and landing, stability and stall were evaluated. B-Roll footage is available of representative flights. The flight-testing program demonstrated the safety of the vehicle in the air while identifying modifications that will be incorporated into the next Transition model to be built, the Beta Prototype.
Test Pilot Colonel (Retired) Phil Meteer had a positive review of flying the POC: I would like to keep flying this Proof of Concept vehicle, but it makes sense to move on to the Beta Prototype.
Categorized as a Light Sport Aircraft, the Transition requires a Sport Pilot certificate to fly. It is a two-seat aircraft designed to take off and land at local airports and drive on any road. Transforming from plane to car takes the pilot less than 30 seconds. The Transition will cruise up to 450 miles at over 115 mph, will drive at highway speeds on the road, and fits in a standard household garage. The vehicle has front wheel drive on the road and a propeller for flight. Both modes are powered by unleaded automotive gasoline. By giving pilots a convenient ground transportation option, the Transition reduces the cost, inconvenience, and weather sensitivity of personal aviation. It also increases safety by incorporating automotive crash structures and allowing pilots to drive under bad weather. Refundable airframe reservations are currently being accepted.
Terrafugia (ter-ra-FOO-gee-ah), based in Woburn, MA, is comprised of a team of award-winning engineers who have been advancing the state of personal aircraft since 2006. Founded by five pilots who are graduates of MIT and supported by a world-class network of advisors and private investors, Terrafugias mission is the innovative expansion of personal mobility. "Terrafugia" is Latin for "escape from land."
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "(I Wanna Be In) AC/DC" on
Down By Law
- 2:28 Flying car developer says he's $80 million closer to making sci-fi dream a reality.by sravantdFeatured 598,228
- 6:01 A Plane You Can Park in the Garage: The ICON A5by ForaTv 351,099 views
- Toyota USA 2,231 videos31K
- 10:45 Flying Car Heaven!!! $14,995 This Exists!! This Is NOT A Prototype Mock Up! Buy a paramotor Now!!!by Dell Schanze 153,704 views
- 5:37 Ultimate Flying Machineby Wired 237,383 views
- 10:01 Super car driver idiots [NO pics, only videos]by tendency 17,274,295 views
- 1:03 Helicar SKY CAR Flying Carby JONOVID 593,164 views
- 3:38 Why We Don't Have Flying Cars, Yetby Mark Proffitt 1,584,927 views
- 1:46 Kinetic Jet Packby AJsoCal 403,938 views
- 2:58 ► Flying Car - Pal-V Oneby YouCar - Universal Auto News 1,200,121 views
- 1:14 ► Flying Car - Terrafugia TF-X introductionby YouCar - Universal Auto News 94,141 views
- 9:11 World's Top3 Humanoid Robots - Asimo vs HPR-4 vs NAO!by Annie Lee 2,530,397 views
- 0:50 random weird carsby bigmanisere 3,988,630 views
- 3:25 Future Carsby crazcameraman 6,815,983 views
- 1:40 Skycarsby James Singleton 1,709,733 views
- 9:59 Terrafugia Transition Roadable Aircraftby ultralightnews 37,135 views
- 4:15 Flying Car - Maverick 2by itecusavideo 380,119 views
- 3:17 WaterCar - Amphibious Vehiclesby Dave March 1,465,907 views
- 1:05 Russian Flying Cars to beat Traffic Jamsby RussiaToday 127,387 views
- 0:38 宍戸さんの、ATOS-VRランディングアプローチby S.E.T.IBARAKI TV Channel 186,137 views
- 3:47 NASA Five Person VTOL Business Jetby NASAPAV 141,165 views
- Loading more suggestions...