The number of people affected by hunger will hit historic re
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 24, 2009
By the end of the year, the number of people around the world suffering from hunger will hit a shocking record. One billion people, or one out of six, will suffer chronic hunger.
29:16 Neither droughts nor floods or disastrous harvest can be held to blame this time, worsening hunger in the last three years largely stems from economic shocks.
According to the FAO - Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, the number of hungry people will increase by 11 percent. That means 100 million more people than last year.
The situation is due to the global economic crisis, which in turn has caused a decrease in revenues and an increase in unemployment.
Naturally, the most affected are those living in developing countries. In Asia and the Pacific, an estimated 642 million people are suffering from chronic hunger, in Sub-Saharan Africa 265 million, in Latin America and the Caribbean 53 million, in North Africa and the Middle East 42 million and in developed countries, 15 million.
1:21:00 This is the very, very, grave situation in which we are in and which tends to be overshadowed by the coverage of the financial crisis, the stimulus packages for financial institutions, the auto industry, etc.
As a short-term solution, the heads of the FAO and World Food Programme recommend creating safety nets and social programs to increase agricultural investment and to support farmers.
In the long term, they suggest providing developing countries with technical and financial solutions, as well as tools to strengthen agricultural productivity and the ability to recover from the crisis.
In addition they made a special appeal to the leaders of developed countries to not to forget the children who suffer from chronic hunger due to the crisis.
Executive Director, World Food Programme
5:13 60 million children today go to school and they cant even concentrate because they dont even have one cup of food. Today in Kenya, the children that we provide a cup of food to, are saving half the cup of food for their younger brothers and sisters who have no food.
Recently, the general director of the FAO proposed holding a world summit on food security in order to eradicate hunger in the world by 2025.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:54 Religious Order prays for the Pope day and nightby romereports8,990 views
- 2:17 FAO: Pope sends strong message on the battle against hungerby romereports2,008 views
- 0:55 Pope: Priests must be saintsby romereports731 views
- 1:01 General Audience on Year for Priests, June 24, 2009by romereports280 views
- 3:31 More than one billion people hungry worldwide: UNby timesofearth1,822 views
- 12:55 CFS Campaign 2013: A Real Solution For World Hungerby CFScampaign20138,443 views
- 1:48 United States Cities Disappearing in Hunger, Crime & Povertyby PowerRossiya3,764 views
- 13:06 30 Years of the Commission on Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture -- a compilationby Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN1,035 views
- 11:01 FAO in Nepal - Documentary version part 1/2by PiktoDiffusion69,775 views
- 1:28:14 Doku "Hunger": Die vielen Gesichter des Hungers - Flüchtlinge aus Afrikaby LeiTsunChi2,357 views
- 4:51 Inside KFC Chicken production kitchen - Processed and Cooked in a Factory Video.by AdlabsImagicaPark259,930 views
- 7:48 How to make Yao Hon (Hot pot)by DarkSavior1017,308 views
- 14:49 Improving food security and agricultural livelihoods in Northern Ugandaby Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN143 views
- 5:19 FAO's Goodwill Ambassadors promote the Hunger Summitby Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN1,983 views
- 4:37 SOFA2013 Food systems for better nutrition - José Graziano da Silva, FAO Director-Generalby Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN1,025 views
- 2:51 Millions face starvation in Horn of Africa - 21 Jul 09by Al Jazeera English21,075 views
- 4:55 Sustainable use of genetic resources for food and agriculture - Mark Holdernessby Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN252 views
- 13:24 Frost over the World - Frank Luntz - 05 April 08by Al Jazeera English2,708 views
- 2:24 Drought in Kenyaby NTDTV12,702 views
- 1:55 World Hunger Growingby VOAvideo2,970 views
- Loading more suggestions...