Windfall for Vodafone with $130 bln Verizon Wireless deal
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Sep 2, 2013
A huge and historic deal has been announced in the telecoms world as US company Verizon said it was...
euronews, the most watched news channel in Europe
Subscribe for your daily dose of international news, curated and explained:http://eurone.ws/10ZCK4a
Euronews is available in 13 other languages: http://eurone.ws/17moBCU
A huge and historic deal has been announced in the telecoms world as US company Verizon said it was buying the 45 percent of its mobile phone business that its did not already own.
It is to pay 130 billion dollars - almost 100 billion euros - for Verizon Wireless in a mixture of cash and stock.
The seller is Britain's Vodafone, which can use the proceeds to pay down its debt which is currently the equivalent of nearly 30 billion euros. It can also give some to its shareholders and make acquisitions to grow the company:
Ishaq Siddiqi, a market strategist with ETC Capital Markets said: "One hundred and thirty billion dollars is a lot of money for Vodafone, the market cap currently stands at 152 billion dollars after this proposed deal. Now in terms of how to make that money work, it's going to have to go back into the company, they're going to have to pay back an enormous amount of debt."
Verizon, is happy to have finally gained full ownership of a network that is growing fast and generating billions of dollars in free cash flow.
The question is has it overpaid?
Wall Street was closed for a holiday on the day the deal was announced. We will find out what investors think when the markets reopen on Tuesday.
The rating agencies certainly did not like how much money was being borrowed Moody's and Standard & Poor's downgraded the debt ratings of Verizon Communications as soon as the purchase was announced.
Verizon said it expects the transaction to increase earnings per share by about 10 percent, without any one-time adjustments.
The boards of Verizon and Vodafone have unanimously approved the sale, which is subject to customary closing conditions, and was expected to close in the first quarter of 2014.
Hours after the deal was confirmed, Vodafone Chief Executive Vittorio Colao said he was committed to the next stage in the mobile operator's history.
"I am super committed to the next chapter of Vodafone, that is chapter three, after the creation and expansion into emerging markets, now we have data and unified services so I am very excited about the future," he told reporters when asked whether the deal was the pinnacle of his career.
Find us on:
Standard YouTube License
- 0:56 Taliban attack US base in northern Afghanistanby euronews (in English)6,558 views
- 1:50 Oscar-winning director honours Walesa - cinemaby euronews (in English)1,858 views
- 1:42 France: no vote on Syria strike as govt looks at chemical weapons evidenceby euronews (in English)7,730 views
- 1:35 Syria: Assad threatens France with retaliation if it attacks Syrian forcesby euronews (in English)21,086 views
- 6:16 Next Generation Mobile Phones Nanotechnologyby Prabhjeet Documentaries1,920,953 views
- 7:18 What you're not being told about Booz Allen Hamilton and Edward Snowden - Truthloaderby Truthloader129,355 views
- 5:56 Verizon, Microsoft Make Long-term Bets on a Wireless Futureby PBS NewsHour1,810 views
- 1:40:54 INnoVation vs. TaeJa - Group C - WCS Season 2 Finalsby ESL TV65,627 views
- 3:28 What the Big Verizon-Vodafone Deal Meansby Bloomberg6,435 views
- 42:56 Edward Snowden, A Truth Unveiled (Documentary)by BytezAutomations298,715 views
- 24:40 AR-15 quality - What is your money getting you?by TCArmory375,274 views
- 5:22 Crisis In Syria - RPT: Russia Moving Reconnaissance Ship To Eastern Mediterraneanby Mass Tea Party1,993 views
- 16:07 How to sucessfully separate iPhone 4 and 4S broken glassby Wathana Prak193,760 views
- 14:43 Top DHS checkpoint refusalsby millsmost2,027,795 views
- 58:26 Magical Egypt - The Old Kingdom & the Still Older Kingdom Part 2 of 8by Todd W55,098 views
- 5:40 T-Mobile and Sprint Vs. AT&T and Verizonby TheFirstBytes2,491 views
- 5:02 US GOV message to ANONYMOUSby somdofritz2295,176 views
- 12:20 Best Electronic Diamond Testers Review by iGem Instrumentsby igemcorp9,646 views
- 13:28 How to Unlock SIM on Sprint Galaxy S4!by rootgalaxys417,809 views
- 8:02:55 ★ 8 HOURS ★ Lullabies for Babies to Sleep - Music for Babies - Baby Songs - Baby Lullaby Bedtimeby Lullaby World2,547,283 views
- Loading more suggestions...