COLORBLIND (Response to media racism/racebending) // spoken word
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 25, 2012
A poem in response to the La Jolla Playhouse casting only 2 Asian-Americans in a play set in ancient China - part of the trend known as "no Asian faces on TV".
Because progress is made by opening our eyes - not being blind.
Shot by Tommy Su (@snapitstudio)
Written, edited, performed by jason chu (JasonChuMusic on Facebook, Twitter)
I hear "nothing's more American than immigrating in
"Working hard is more important than the color of your skin"
But if that's true, why are the faces that look like me
Always involved in takeout, kung fu, or exotic villainy?
I mean, we wear the same clothes and we do the same things
And we talk the same way - but it was never a real dream
For me to be Friends with Rachel, Joey, or Ross
And "Jason Chu" was not the answer to the question, "Who's the Boss?"
Even on Cheers, where everybody was supposed to know my name
I never heard a Chu, Nguyen, Kim, Loke, or Chang
So I concluded that Asian faces are only right
If we're talking about rice, or a high-tech device
I mean, I just saw the Dark Knight Rise
And I cheered every time that I saw an Asian face - twice
This is why we don't win: the systems that we're in
If we build separate communities, we're viewed as aliens
But if we try to play along, we have no hope of blending in
They'll never let John Wayne be played by John Kim
But The Airbender was Noah Ringer, and Goku was Justin Chatwin
And the whole cast of Akira was gonna be played by white men
But I have never seen a role with a European name
Be filled by an Asian with the excuse "we cast for talent, not for race"
So the La Jolla playhouse can say anything they want
In the end, I don't see action, so I conclude it's just a front
For the same attitude that I've always seen out there
Because "color-blind" is just a nicer way to say "we don't care"
Standard YouTube License
- 49 videos Play all YouTube Mix - COLORBLIND (Response to media racism/racebending) // spoken word
- 4:05 MY GOD // spoken wordby jasonchumusic6,242 views
- 4:31 DTR (Define the Relationship): The Music Video // jason chuby jasonchumusic69,013 views
- 2:13 I'm Sorry (Sikh Temple shooting response) // spoken word poetryby jasonchumusic19,116 views
- 2:31 A Thousand Names (Asian Heritage Month) // spoken wordby jasonchumusic2,629 views
- 4:58 Daddy Are You Proud Of Me? || Spoken Wordby Nego True144,821 views
- 11:24 Dancer. A Documentary.by Alyssa Tolman85,919 views
- 3:12 Truth Powerful Words About Digital Life! (Spoken Word Of The Week)by 9kark212,243 views
- 39:44 I Hate My Own Race !by crayonscribbleX327,291 views
- 7 videos Play all Spoken wordby jasonchumusic
- 10:14 La Jolla Playhouse Open Forum For "The Nightingale" Casting controversy Part 1 of 7by chinataiwanjapan778 views
- 15:38 My First Period - Spoken Word of Staceyann Chinby Generation Progress315,079 views
- 3:25 Why I Hate Society, But Love Humanity || Spoken Wordby Jamie Dunmore186,577 views
- 1:53:37 the 58 RACES of the ALIEN RACES BOOK (AZAZEL8867)by AZAZEL8867929,098 views
- 9:30 Study finds: "White kids are far more negative about racial interactions than Black kids are"by King Shabaka133,622 views
- 8:29 "Gossip" Spoken Word Poetry by Robby Jeromeby Robby Jerome14,645 views
- 38:18 Norwegian TV program about inequality of racesby polka23dot31,491 views
- 7:02 You Are Beautiful - Mike Young Spoken Wordby yoosunglee131,028 views
- 21:12 Minecraft: Battle-Race? Sonic The Hedgehog w/Mitch & Jeromeby TheBajanCanadian358,351 views
- 21:09 Sarah Kay Spoken Word Poem "B" Given at TED 2011 (Complete)by mrwhateverfor72,443 views
- 4:56 Spoken Word: A Man's Promiseby TheNinjaZachy140,808 views