COLORBLIND (Response to media racism/racebending) // spoken word
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 25, 2012
A poem in response to the La Jolla Playhouse casting only 2 Asian-Americans in a play set in ancient China - part of the trend known as "no Asian faces on TV".
Because progress is made by opening our eyes - not being blind.
Shot by Tommy Su (@snapitstudio)
Written, edited, performed by jason chu (JasonChuMusic on Facebook, Twitter)
I hear "nothing's more American than immigrating in
"Working hard is more important than the color of your skin"
But if that's true, why are the faces that look like me
Always involved in takeout, kung fu, or exotic villainy?
I mean, we wear the same clothes and we do the same things
And we talk the same way - but it was never a real dream
For me to be Friends with Rachel, Joey, or Ross
And "Jason Chu" was not the answer to the question, "Who's the Boss?"
Even on Cheers, where everybody was supposed to know my name
I never heard a Chu, Nguyen, Kim, Loke, or Chang
So I concluded that Asian faces are only right
If we're talking about rice, or a high-tech device
I mean, I just saw the Dark Knight Rise
And I cheered every time that I saw an Asian face - twice
This is why we don't win: the systems that we're in
If we build separate communities, we're viewed as aliens
But if we try to play along, we have no hope of blending in
They'll never let John Wayne be played by John Kim
But The Airbender was Noah Ringer, and Goku was Justin Chatwin
And the whole cast of Akira was gonna be played by white men
But I have never seen a role with a European name
Be filled by an Asian with the excuse "we cast for talent, not for race"
So the La Jolla playhouse can say anything they want
In the end, I don't see action, so I conclude it's just a front
For the same attitude that I've always seen out there
Because "color-blind" is just a nicer way to say "we don't care"
Standard YouTube License
- 49 videos Play all YouTube Mix - COLORBLIND (Response to media racism/racebending) // spoken word
- 5:49 Parents Are The Hardest People To Please||Spoken Wordby sulibreezy Featured 333,747
- 4:31 DTR (Define the Relationship): The Music Video // jason chuby jasonchumusic69,013 views
- 4:05 MY GOD // spoken wordby jasonchumusic6,304 views
- 2:13 I'm Sorry (Sikh Temple shooting response) // spoken word poetryby jasonchumusic19,186 views
- 2:31 A Thousand Names (Asian Heritage Month) // spoken wordby jasonchumusic2,629 views
- 4:58 Daddy Are You Proud Of Me? || Spoken Wordby Nego True147,202 views
- 11:24 Dancer. A Documentary.by Alyssa Tolman86,347 views
- 3:25 Why I Hate Society, But Love Humanity || Spoken Wordby Jamie Dunmore187,640 views
- 15:38 My First Period - Spoken Word of Staceyann Chinby Generation Progress318,162 views
- 7 videos Play all Spoken wordby jasonchumusic
- 1:53:37 the 58 RACES of the ALIEN RACES BOOK (AZAZEL8867)by AZAZEL8867955,451 views
- 8:29 "Gossip" Spoken Word Poetry by Robby Jeromeby Robby Jerome14,645 views
- 7:02 You Are Beautiful - Mike Young Spoken Wordby yoosunglee131,454 views
- 4:56 Spoken Word: A Man's Promiseby TheNinjaZachy141,234 views
- 3:12 Truth Powerful Words About Digital Life! (Spoken Word Of The Week)by 9kark212,289 views
- 21:09 Sarah Kay Spoken Word Poem "B" Given at TED 2011 (Complete)by mrwhateverfor72,801 views
- 2:40 Def Poetry - Julian Curry - Niggers Niggas & Niggazby kfc1232,265,326 views
- 3:00 Beau Sia Asian Invasion on HBO Def Poetry Jamby Franny Choi198,406 views
- 2:15 Spoken Word: "So I Go" - Missionsby worldrace94,684 views
- 7:04 Sincerely Freedom // Spoken Word // Nick Vitellaroby NickVitellaro285,496 views