How to Spot Phishing Scams
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Aug 15, 2011
See what you can learn on the go with the new Howcast App for iPhone and iPad: http://bit.ly/11ZmFOu
Watch more How to Maintain Internet Security & Privacy videos: http://www.howcast.com/guides/593-How...
Subscribe to Howcast's YouTube Channel - http://bit.ly/uLaHRS
Don't be fooled by seemingly legitimate emails or text messages! They could be attempts to steal your identity, known as "phishing" scams. Here are the warning signs.
Howcast uploads the highest quality how-to videos daily! Be sure to check out our playlists for guides that interest you: http://bit.ly/ytmainplaylists
Subscribe to Howcast's other YouTube Channels:
Howcast Dance & Entertainment Channel - http://bit.ly/vmB86i
Howcast Family Channel - http://bit.ly/16dz9oH
Howcast Food & Drink Channel - http://bit.ly/umBoJX
Howcast Personal Care & Style Channel - http://bit.ly/vbbNt3
Howcast Sports & Fitness Channel - http://bit.ly/vKjUjm
Howcast Tech Channel - http://bit.ly/rx9FwR
Howcast Video Games Channel - http://bit.ly/tYKKrk
Howcast empowers people with engaging, useful how-to information wherever, whenever they need to know how. Emphasizing high-quality instructional videos, Howcast brings you experts who provide accurate information in easy-to-follow tutorials on everything from makeup, hairstyling, nail art design, and soccer to parkour, skateboarding, dancing, kissing, and much, much more.
Step 1: Be suspicious
Ignore any email or text message that asks you to reveal sensitive information, like bank account numbers, a password, or your social security number. A legitimate company already has this information and wouldn't ask you to update it or verify it via email.
Step 2: Be leery of links and phone numbers
Don't click on any links within an email; it may lead you to a bogus website that looks like the real thing. If you want to check an account, open a new browser session and type in the URL of the company yourself, or use a bookmark you created. Do not cut and paste the link provided. Never call a phone number provided, either.
Place your mouse cursor over any link embedded in a message that you think is suspicious; if you see an address that bears no relation to the organization that's supposedly contacting you, you've caught a phish.
Step 3: Don't be pressured
Don't be intimidated by messages warning you of dire consequences if you don't provide the requested information. Such scare tactics are the hallmarks of phishing scams.
"Verify Your Account" and "If You Don't Respond Within 24 Hours Your Account Will Be Closed" are classic phishing come-ons.
Step 4: Read carefully
Read web addresses carefully. Cybercriminals often use misspellings of company names to fool people, a practice known as "typosquatting" or "cybersquatting."
Step 5: Don't get speared
Never assume an email is legitimate just because it appears to be from a firm you do business with. Cyber thieves often target a company's customers, a practice known as "spear phishing."
Step 6: Report phishing immediately
If you think you may have been tricked into giving your personal financial information to a phisher, contact your bank and credit card company immediately. You can also file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at "ftc.gov":http://ftc.gov/.
Did You Know?
Mobile users are 3 times more likely to fall for phishing scams than PC users, according to one study.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:48 How to Get a Free Drink | Las Vegasby Howcast24,891 views
- 1:48 How to Convince Your Parents Summer Camp Stinksby Howcast73,386 views
- 1:54 How to Deal with the End-of-Summer Bluesby Howcast8,255 views
- 2:12 How to Hide the Circles under Your Eyesby Howcast28,217 views
- 5:14 Marlin Service Catches Plumbing Scamsby marlinplumbing9,568 views
- 36:56 Creating a Phishing Website for Hackingby Eli the Computer Guy36,473 views
- 4:21 Car Dealership Scamsby walkinc1108,196 views
- 6:39 Facebook Phishing Tutorialby Gautham Rajesh10,523 views
- 5:14 Rosetta Stone Scam Websitesby FindersKeepersEdSupp7,202 views
- 3:26 ATM "Skimming"by ElSegundoTV374,318 views
- 3:44 What Is A Phishing Attack?by BigNate841,577 views
- 6:12 Visual Basic Phishing Email Tutorialby asscorn12968,196 views
- 2:31 IRS: 'Dirty Dozen' tax scams for 2012by ABC Action News4,895 views
- 11:51 Gone Phishing - Entertaining tips about avoiding email scams and protecting yourself on-line.by LinkSkyHosting596 views
- 6:50 Email and web phishing scamby fixitdaz1,123 views
- 5:42 HowTo Make A Phishing Program in Microsoft Visual Basic 2008by ChrisJVideos12,258 views
- 1:49 How to Play the Buried Cubicle Prank on a Co-workerby Howcast260,126 views
- 2:26 How to Cast Magic Spellsby Howcast110,292 views
- 1:36 How to Protect Your Valuables From Burglarsby Howcast13,860 views
- 1:22 How to Make Amends with Someone You've Vomited Onby Howcast16,348 views
- Loading more suggestions...