Wear A Poppy And Let It Be Known That You Will Never Forget For Remembrance Day 2011
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 18, 2011
In Canada, Remembrance Day is a holiday for federal government employees; for private business, provincial governments, and schools, its status varies by province: in Western Canada and Atlantic Canada, it is a general holiday; in Ontario and Quebec, it is not, although corporations that are federally registered may make the day a full holiday, or instead, designate a provincially-recognized holiday on a different day. Poppies are laid on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier on Remembrance Day in Ottawa. The official national ceremonies are held at the National War Memorial in Ottawa, presided over by the Governor General of Canada, any members of the Canadian Royal Family, the Prime Minister, and other dignitaries, to the observance of the public. Typically, these events begin with the tolling of the Carillon in the Peace Tower, during which serving members of the Canadian Forces arrive at Confederation Square, followed by the Ottawa diplomatic corps, Ministers of the Crown, special guests, the Royal Canadian Legion (RCL), the vice-regal party, and, if present, the royal party. Before the start of the ceremony, four armed sentries and three sentinels -- two flag sentinels and one nursing sister -- are posted at the foot of the cenotaph.
The Ode of Remembrance:
They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.
Lest we forget.
IN FLANDERS FIELDS POEM
The World's Most Famous WAR MEMORIAL POEM
By Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place: and in the sky
The larks still bravely singing fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the dead: Short days ago,
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved: and now we lie
In Flanders fields!
Take up our quarrel with the foe
To you, from failing hands, we throw
The torch: be yours to hold it high
If ye break faith with us who die,
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields
Composed at the battlefront on May 3, 1915
during the second battle of Ypres, Belgium
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Canon In D Major" on
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra London
- 20:55 Remembrance Day 2011 In Ottawaby adsc20061,998 views
- 13:12 Canadian Repatriation Ceremony / Highway of Heroes Canadaby BigScreenFX80,536 views
- 54:07 Gettysburg 150th Anniversary - Entire Remembrance Day Parade, Nov. 23rd, 2013by CuddlyDog12,309 views
- 12:07 Remembrance Day Special. Pt 1 IRISH ROVERS .mp4by ST40TV2,406 views
- 3:44 LIttle Red Poppyby LittleRedPoppy118,484 views
- 2:55 REMEMBRANCE DAY 2013 - CANADIAN/DUTCH MILITARY PARADE, Wageningen 2010by supercanadiandude16,156 views
- 9:10 Is This A Real Alien Autopsy From 1969 In Russia or Another Hoax?by Rob McConnell76 views
- 2:50 11-11-11-11 We Remember. Remembrance Day. Poppies. Royal British Legion. Poppy Appeal.by OneWomansWar18,671 views
- 15:49 2013 Gettysburg Remembrance Day Paradeby Richard18613,210 views
- 5:03 Remembrance Day Ottawa Canada 2011by onatewi2,611 views
- 5:24 remembrance day songsby Matt Mills27,888 views
- 3:37 Highway of Heroes Canadaby BigScreenFX28,447 views
- 3:59 REMEMBRANCE - Ernesto Cortazar ( HD )by Krystyna J2,468 views
- 1:04:34 Remembrance Sunday Service & Parade Glasgow 2013 (HD)by ULSTERBANDS1,560 views
- 3:00 LEST WE FORGETby Holls House1,419 views
- 3:56 Where Have All the Flowers Gone?by mporter6317,351 views
- 3:44 Armistice Day - Wear Your Poppy with Pride, Always Remembered Never Forgottonby bundlingfeatures652 views
- 1:39 scots guards pipes and drums march down the mall tby worldoflondon363,256 views
- 3:41 CANADIAN STUDENT FINDS LOST GRAVE in Groesbeek, Holland 2010 - REMEMBRANCE DAY 2013by supercanadiandude8,837 views
- 3:28 9/11 Memorial - U.S. Embassy Ottawa Canadaby OttawaPanoramas4,606 views