At West Bank, Obama Compare Israeli - Palestinian Conflict to US - Canada Relation
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 21, 2013
RAMALLAH, West Bank -- U.S. President Barack Obama is meeting Palestinian officials on the second day of his Mideast tour to emphasize the importance of reaching an Israeli-Palestinian peace deal, a message underscored Thursday when Palestinian militants in Gaza launched rockets into southern Israel.
After a visit to Israel's national museum - where he inspected the Dead Sea Scrolls, which highlight the Jewish people's ancient connection to the land that is now Israel - Obama headed to the West Bank to tell the Palestinians that the creation of a Palestinian state remains a priority for his administration.
He is not bringing a new plan to relaunch peace talks, but in meetings with Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas and a speech to Israeli students later in the day, he will appeal to both sides to halt unilateral actions that make negotiations more difficult.
Those troublesome actions include continued construction of Jewish housing settlements on land claimed by the Palestinians and repeated Palestinian efforts to achieve recognition at the United Nations in the absence of a peace agreement.
Yasser Abed-Rabbo, an aide Abbas, said before the meeting that the Palestinians will tell Obama they won't return to negotiations with Israel without a settlement freeze.
"There can be no real (peace) process with the continuation of settlement activities on our lands," he said, adding that the issue of settlements is central to the Obama-Abbas meeting.
Palestinians argue that they cannot negotiate a border between Israel and a future Palestine while Israel unilaterally shapes that line through accelerated settlement building.
The Palestinians want a state in the West Bank, Gaza and east Jerusalem - territories Israel captured in the 1967 war - but are ready for minor adjustments to accommodate some settlements closest to Israel. Since 1967, Israel has built dozens of settlements in the West Bank and east Jerusalem that are now home to 560,000 Israelis - an increase of 60,000 since Obama became president four years ago.
Palestinians argue that only strong U.S. pressure can get Israel to change course and halt its settlement enterprise, but doubt Obama is willing to do so. Obama's wooing of Israeli public opinion during his current trip has further enforced such perceptions.
,Barack Obama , Middle East, Palestinian Territories, Palestinian Territories, Israel, Middle East, Video, Mahmoud Abbas, Salam Fayyad, Dead Sea Scrolls, Mideast, Mideast Conflict, Ramallah, World News,obama,barack obama,us president in israel,obama in israel,israel,obama speech in israel,israel war,middleast news,obama in israel 2013,barack obama in israel,obama israel today,obama israel visit,obama israel speech
Standard YouTube License
- 59:37 George Galloway in Vancouver, Canada: Free Palestine, Free Afghanistan, Free Speechby Ictv Victoria7,325 views
- 45:17 Israeli Air Force - Dog Fights Of The Middle Eastby cafeturkie347,909 views
- 41:32 Barack Obama And Benjamin Netanyahu's Press Conference In Israel 3/20/2013 (Endtimes News) Speechby Paro7777711,856 views
- 1:40:07 Israel vs Palestine - a must see !!! documentary .by 711Rene194,889 views
- 49:44 End Times Watch: Obama's Speech To Israeli Studentsby LastPatriotStanding121,039 views
- 18:10 Israeli-Palestinian conflict - Violence between Israel and Gaza militants escalates - THE DEBATE (2)by FRANCE 24 English2,982 views
- 10:31 How to Resolve the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict - Noam Chomskyby The Film Archives3,689 views
- 32:16 December 10 2013 Is Israel preparing for a preemptive strike on Iran??? 1 of 2by u2bheavenbound33,818 views
- 10:46 Glenn Beck » Real Reason Behind Obama's Israel Visitby yazchat42,596 views
- 1:08:31 An honest Israeli Jew tells the Real Truth about Israelby Muslims and the World398,720 views
- 3:45 Israel Palestinian Conflict: The Truth About the West Bank (Shorter Version)by israelexplained155,629 views
- 36:48 History of the Israeli Palestinian Conflictby XP68,578 views
- 50:46 American President Barack Obama's Speech at the Jerusalem Convention Center in Israelby ywnews39,888 views
- 11:37 President Obama arrives in Tel Aviv Israel (March 20, 2013)by DefinitelyAbsolute32,125 views
- 8:35 Watch President Barack Obama speak at the dedication of the George W. Bush Libraryby PBS NewsHour100,434 views
- 48:09 Al Jazeera World - Hard Crossingsby Al Jazeera English18,465 views
- 7:54 Prime Minister Stephen Harper greets President Barack Obama at Parliment Hill, Ottawa, Canadaby tightlaces23,313 views
- 11:37 The History of the Middle East Conflict in 11 Minutesby Walid Shoebat311,415 views
- 6:58 Saudis team up with Israel to plan strike against Iran - reportby RT74,228 views
- 5:46 The Israeli Palestinian Conflict: 10 Myths Preventing Peace (Calev Myers)by jijorg110,997 views
- Loading more suggestions...