Congress Affirms NIF's Mission is Centered on Fusion Energy and Science Research
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 31, 2012
Rep. Zoe Lofgren (D-CA) engages Rep. Rodney P. Frelinghuysen (R-NJ), Chairman of the House Appropriations Energy and Water Development Subcommittee, in a colloquy affirming Congress's intent that inertial fusion energy and science research--as well as stockpile stewardship--will continue to be vigorously pursued at Lawrence Livermore's National Ignition Facility (NIF).
Following the colloquy, Rep. Peter Visclosky (D-IN), ranking member on the Subcommittee, underscores the importance of continuing fusion research at NIF and commends Zoe for her strong support of the United States pursuit of fusion energy development.
This occurred on the floor of the House of Representatives during a May 31, 2012, debate of the H.R. 5325, the Energy and Water Development and Related Agencies Appropriations Act of 2013.
A transcript of Rep, Lofgren's remarks:
"I would like to enter into a colloquy with the distinguished chairman of the Energy and Water Development Subcommittee.
Mr. Chairman, since the need for a National Ignition Facility was first established in the 1990's, the project had a mandate of supporting nuclear weapons science expertise required for stewardship of our nation's stockpile and the development of fusion power.
Basic science research has always been a central mission of NIF. In the 1997 Facility Use Plan for NIF, the Statement of Mission projected that the uses of the facility falls into five major areas: (1) ignition physics, (2) weapons physics, (3) weapons effects, (4) inertial fusion energy, and (5) basic science and technology.
I want to affirm with you that the mission of NIF has not changed and that inertial fusion energy and basic science research, as well as stockpile stewardship, will continue to be vigorously pursued at NIF."
Standard YouTube License
- 3:08 India refuses to turn its back on Iranby RTGlobalReportFeatured 7,284
- 5:07 Nuclear Fusion 500 Terawatt Laser at the National Ignition Facilityby Muon Ray 26,375 views
- 12:24 NIF featured on BBC "Horizon"by LivermoreLab 60,025 views
- 9:51 Super Laser at the National Ignition Facility - KQED QUESTby KQEDondemand 122,329 views
- 46:07 Heavy Watergate: The War on Cold Fusionby David Brown 120,664 views
- 5:22 How NIF Worksby Lawrence Livermore Nat'l Lab 177,465 views
- 57:06 From Sun to Sun: National Ignition Facility and Energyby UCTV, University of California Television 3,033 views
- 4:51 Bringing fusion energy closerby Fusion for Energy Fusion for Energy 1,252 views
- 8:47 Laser Fusion Energy - The HiPER Projectby EuroSon99 2,062 views
- 58:34 The National Ignition Facility: Making Star Power on Earthby UCTV, University of California Television 20,830 views
- 4:45 Mike Dunne on the progress toward inertial fusion ignition at NIFby SPIE - The International Society for Optics and Photonics 1,782 views
- 9:03 How will a fusion power plant work?by Max-Planck-Gesellschaft 105,839 views
- 1:04:06 Focus Fusion: The Fastest Route to Cheap, Clean Energyby GoogleTalksArchive 45,991 views
- 3:40 Plasma Fusion -- hoax or breakthrough reality?by RTAmerica 24,451 views
- 55:29 LIFE: Laser Initial Fusion Energy Systemby Stanford University 6,987 views
- 54:23 HOMEMADE FUSION REACTOR 03.11.11by bigtruckseriesreview . 317,982 views
- 14:27 [Tutorial] GregTech from Scratch 07 - Fusion Reactorby Edoreld 1,338 views
- 9:58 U.S. Nuclear Weapons Have Been Compromised By Alien SpaceCraftby SANGSTAR1 VIDEOS PRESENTATIONS 13,376 views
- 7:42 Animal Tractors - Pastured Meatby TrinityAcresFarm 1,633 views
- 44:53 Star Power on Earth: Path to Clean Energy Futureby LivermoreLab 5,315 views
- Loading more suggestions...