NSW Police Force - POLAIR, the "flying police car"
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 16, 2012
Police 'cars' take to the sky in this breathtaking video shot by our multimedia crew on Australia Day.
To mark the 150th anniversary of NSW Police Force, the Aviation Support Branch is proud to release footage that demonstrates the capabilities of POLAIR.
Commander of the Aviation Support Branch (@ POLAIR), Detective Superintendent Mark Noakes, likens the helicopters to flying police cars.
"With the technologies we have on board and our strategic operating methodologies, they really are like police cars in the sky."
"POLAIR can conduct a wide range of surveillance operations, carry a night sun and FLIR system for search and rescue work, and operate a downlink system which allows them to livestream footage into a police command post," said the Detective Superintendent.
In 1979, POLAIR took delivery of Australia's first police helicopter and have been operating helicopters ever since, as they have proven to be a very effective law enforcement tool.
Since 2000, POLAIR has located 711 missing persons and rescued 357 people.
There's no hiding from the winged police vehicles -- they have detected 3,089 offenders and located cannabis crops worth a potential street value of $600 million.
POLAIR currently has five helicopters and one fixed wing aircraft.
"The advanced technologies we have on board allow us to capitalise on the uniqueness of this tool," said Detective Superintendent Noakes.
"Airborne law enforcement is a great force multiplier."
Recently, POLAIR was supporting the Walgett community with the floods and will shortly be flying to Bourke -- a service which reflects the POLAIR motto of "Pride Passion Professionalism".
The public will soon be able to see the helicopters again when they fly in formation over Sydney CBD for the Sea of Blue March on 1 March, an event to commemorate the formation of NSW Police Force in 1862.
POLAIR will also play a prominent role in upcoming 150th anniversary celebrations throughout 2012.
Since 2000, POLAIR has:
• flown more than 26,000 hours
• located cannabis crops worth a potential street value of $600 million
• located 711 missing persons
• detected 3089 offenders
• rescued 357 people
"Our work is never done."
Standard YouTube License
- 2:45 NSW Police Force launches new Police Helicopter - Polair 4by TheNSWPolice14,810 views
- 6:26 NSW Police Force - 150 years of serviceby TheNSWPolice4,459 views
- 4:23 Australia Day Spectacular - NSW Police Capabilities Display at Darling Harbourby TheNSWPolice3,175 views
- 7:35 CAPP 6 - Community Awareness of Policing Programby TheNSWPolice2,158 views
- 6:44 Best Police Car Chase in Historyby AnamariaFechter113,340 views
- 2:23 Going for Broke!by timbo69b17,807 views
- 14:38 Wild Police Chase - South Los Angeles, CA - April 30, 2013by LocalNewsVideo1,352,838 views
- 2:21 GSXR600 & Australian Police - They're not all badby 7Days1Shower12,924 views
- 2:13 Helicopter Crashes - Original HD footageby murrayjob5,368,399 views
- 6:24 2011 Review and Tribute to Australian Policeby mazsac5,295 views
- 2:01 Tribute for NSW Police Highway Patrol - Australian Police - Police Tribute.by ThePolicefreak8,503 views
- 5:01 Dead body airlifted by Police helicopter Coogee Beach on Anzac Dayby wazzarooni253,221 views
- 3:02 Police chase motorbike in Sydneyby Roadsmart34,711 views
- 22:35 Demonstration by theWeapons & Tactics Training Unit @ NSW Police Force Academy Open Day 2013by TheDarkhorse8532,540 views
- 6:14 New South Wales Police Force Tactical Operations Unitby ALPHAFIVETWOFIVE7,680 views
- 5:12 Huey & VA State Police Helicopter @ Mtn Empire Airportby David Rowe1,840 views
- 18:10 Classic California Highway Patrol Cars - Jay Leno's Garageby JayLenosGarage369,615 views
- 4:22 WALGETT B & S in the floods 2012by walchic11,955 views
- 9:44 Sydney policeby moakleydakota73,547 views
- 2:59 NSW police car severely damaged after driving into traffic light in Beverly Hillsby freenewsau7,295 views
- Loading more suggestions...