Vince Thompson of MiddleShift & Mo Ali of ThisWeekIn
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 29, 2011
This week Mark delves into the world of sales in the current state of startups and business tech. He welcomes accomplished sales manager Vince Thompson, formerly of AOL and Facebook, to talk about his new venture with MiddleShift. Also welcomed to the studio is This Week In's own Mo Alo, who has been the sole reason why This Week In still runs to this day.
We'd like to thank our sponsors Fenwick & West and Assistly. Go to Assistly.com/VC for an exclusive This Week in Venture Capital special offer. For more, visit http://thisweekin.com/venturecapital
00:02 Mark introduces our Sales episode with guests Vince Thompson and Mo Ali
04:45 Mark asks why Mo is wearing a Eagles jersey on the show. Mo lost a bet
05:15 Mo works on telesales at ThisWeekIn. For how long?
07:00 What is Thompson's Middleshift?
10:00 Selling eyeballs & selling audience
12:30 Making the money that you sell
14:18 Your first hire should be someone who's hungry and willing to
work. No VP's
15:00 Don't punch above your weight class
16:00 Determining a sales guy from a bad one
19:00 Never wanting to join a club that doesn't want them as a member
20:15 Mark's secret sales interview trick
23:00 Make sure to listen more than you talk
24:00 Selling a startup today.
27:30 Identifying your strengths and finding the path to ROI
29:30 What is a CPM buy?
30:00 Assistly Sponsor Ad
36:00 Sales people only care about money
38:00 Cashflow isn't high...what's the answer?
41:00 Suster: Paying a little upfront and then withholding until they get paid
42:00 The simpler the comp plan, the easier it is to see the shenanigans
44:00 The problem with the ""waterfall method""
45:00 Sales people don't want to be locked in an office
47:00 Group pipeline calls and how effective they are
51:00 One more tip from Suster on the sales world
53:00 Moneytip: Call early or call late to skip the secretary
58:00 Vince Thompson's book, ""Ignited""
64:04 Using LinkedIn to get ahead
66:00 Suster tells Jason Calacanis that Mo should get a lunch expense account
73:00 Staying on top of who is in the sales pipeline
76:00 Mark: "Don't hire sales people too quickly, don't hire big
people. Be smart, think quickly.""
Next in - Venture Capital: Season 1 Episodes
- 1:20:36 - Venture Capital - Dmitry Shapiro, Founder of AnyBeatby ThisWeekIn 3,359 views
- 1:19:49 - Venture Capital - Babak Nivi & Naval Ravikant of Angel List; Jody Sherman, founder of EcoMomby ThisWeekIn 6,700 views
- 1:19:07 - Venture Capital - Ian Rogers, Founder of TopSpin Mediaby ThisWeekIn 4,986 views
- 53:26 - Venture Capital - Sonia Sahney Nagar and Ryan Weber of Smarketplacesby This Week In 11,682 views
- 47:09 - Venture Capital - This Week in Venture Capital - Mark Suster, Investment Partner at GRP Partnersby ThisWeekIn 6,749 views
- 26:24 - Venture Capital - Mark Suster's NYU Q&A with Adam Penenbergby ThisWeekIn 4,275 views
- 1:09:51 - Venture Capital - This Week in Venture Capital - Mark Jeffrey, CEO of ThisWeekInby ThisWeekIn 11,040 views
- 1:23:57 - Venture Capital - Reece Pacheco of Shelby.tvby This Week In 2,771 views
- 7 videos Play all Playlist 7: Mo Ali, BoldFace Patronby BoldFacePro
- 1:32 29 years old and hearing myself for the 1st time!by Sloan Churman 17,341,058 views
- 1:14:55 - Venture Capital - Josh Linkner, CEO & Managing Partner of Detroit Venture Partnersby ThisWeekIn 3,307 views
- 1:07:03 - Startups - Jake Winebaum of Brighter.com - TWiST #191by ThisWeekIn 2,913 views
- 48:02 - Venture Capital - This Week in Venture Capital - Mark Suster and Jason Calacanisby ThisWeekIn 2,164 views
- 1:21:33 - Venture Capital - Greg Bettinelli, SVP Marketing at Hautelookby This Week In 2,555 views
- 1:23:58 Guy Kawasaki: The Top 10 Mistakes of Entrepreneursby Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley 46,052 views
- 1:06:32 - Venture Capital - This Week in Venture Capital - Michael Montgomery, President of Montgomery & Co.by ThisWeekIn 3,650 views
- 1:24:41 - Venture Capital - James Bailey, Associate at GRP Partnersby ThisWeekIn 2,779 views
- 53:53 Entrepreneurship Through the Lens of Venture Capital | Seed Fundby StanfordUniversity 3,186 views
- 1:17:08 Entrepreneurship Through the Lens of Venture Capital | Course Introductionby StanfordUniversity 6,219 views
- 1:03:48 - Venture Capital - This Week in Venture Capital - Dana Settle, partner of Greycroftby ThisWeekIn 1,955 views