Mayor Landrieu speaks at ReFresh groundbreaking
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 9, 2013
Today, Mayor Mitch Landrieu participated in a groundbreaking event to celebrate the start of construction of ReFresh, a redevelopment project at Broad and Bienville streets receiving major funding from the New Orleans Fresh Food Retailers Initiative (FFRI). The project. in a 60,000-square-foot property that formerly housed a Schwegmann's supermarket and Robert's Fresh Market, will be anchored by a 25,000-square-foot Whole Foods Market, and will include Liberty's Kitchen cafe and training program, and The Goldring Center for Culinary Medicine at Tulane University.
The project is being developed by Broad Community Connections, a non-profit organization working to revitalize Broad Street from Tulane Avenue to Bayou Road, and L+M Development Partners, a developer of affordable, mixed-income, and market-rate housing.
Broad Community Connections received a $1 million loan from the FFRI, with a forgivable amount up to $500,000. In addition to the FFRI loan, the Board of Commissioners of the New Orleans Redevelopment Authority (NORA) approved an award of $900,000 to Broad Community Connections for the redevelopment of the property through its Commercial Corridor Revitalization program.
Launched in March 2011, the Fresh Food Retailer Initiative plans to award $14 million worth of low-cost, flexible financing to enable vendors to open, renovate or expand retail outlets that sell fresh fruits and vegetables in lower-income areas of the city where access to fresh foods has been lacking. The City previously announced FFRI awards to the iconic Circle Food Market in the Seventh Ward and DaFresh Seafood Market in Central City. To fund FFRI, the City is providing $7 million in Disaster-Community Development Block Grant (D-CDBG) funds, which will be matched 1:1 by the City's partner, Hope Enterprise Corporation (HOPE), for a total of $14 million. In addition, the City has partnered with The Food Trust, a national non-profit organization with a track record for administering innovative approaches to expanding access to fresh foods in Pennsylvania and New York.
Standard YouTube License
- 44:36 The Documentary - Gangland Gotti Boyz. New Orleans, Louisianaby Gereyalamadalamisial12,727 views
- 27:40 Conan O'Brien at the 2013 White House Correspondents' Dinner - Completeby The Daily Conversation821,356 views
- 13:38 Lara Logan breaks her silenceby CBSNewsOnline340,517 views
- 25:16 Mayor Mitch Landrieu's interview with Memphis Flyer, May 2013by Jackson Baker80 views
- 1:35:04 National Geographic - Inside Hurricane Katrinaby KoTuKaS66,352 views
- 23:17 President Obama at the 2013 White House Correspondents' Dinner - Completeby The Daily Conversation429,237 views
- 21:18 Krewe of Muses: An Interview with an officer of the popular womens' groupby Todd Matherne308 views
- 13:36 Detroit on the edgeby 60 Minutes31,541 views
- 27:32 Conan O'Brien remarks at 2013 White House Correspondents' Dinner (C-SPAN)by C-SPAN565,177 views
- 13:49 Life at Gitmoby 60 Minutes17,739 views
- 14:27 The Gaskos: Capturing Whitey Bulgerby 60 Minutes10,838 views
- 14:08 Amazon's Jeff Bezos looks to the futureby 60 Minutes113,075 views
- 5:37 Kevin Spacey's Correspondents' Dinner Spoof - "House of Nerds"by The Daily Conversation560,517 views
- 7:52 Hezekiah Walker and Amber Bullock - Essence Fest 2013by Sherizan Mills687 views
- 12:47 GoPro's video revolutionby 60 Minutes88,897 views
- 6:37 Fantasia @ Q93 For Essence 2013 Interview with PHAT PHAT N ALL THAT TVby PHAT PHAT N ALL THAT TV1,465 views
- 8:27 Backstage Ground Breaking - May 14, 2011 (1)by Urban Toronto132 views
- 5:53 08-16-13 New Orleans East Hospital Topping-Out Celebrationby dukemadness56 views
- 24:11 Colbert Roasts Bush - 2006 White House Correspondents' Dinnerby OcularPolitics963,924 views
- 42:41 Mayor Landrieu Delivers 2013 State of the City Addressby Mitch Landrieu459 views
- Loading more suggestions...