Higher Ground - Stevie Wonder (1973)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 1, 2010
"Higher Ground" is a funk song written by Stevie Wonder and first appearing on his 1973 album "Innervisions". The song reached #4 on the U.S. Pop Singles chart and #1 on the U.S. Hot Soul Singles chart. Stevie wrote and recorded the song in a three-hour burst of creativity in May, 1973. The unique wah-clavinet sound in the song was achieved with a Mutron envelope filter pedal. The bass is a Moog synthesizer. Via overdubs, Wonder played all instruments on the track, including drums. As with many of Stevie Wonder's albums, the lyrics, composition and production on "Innervisions" are almost entirely his own work, with the ARP synthesizer used prominently throughout the album. This instrument was a common motif among musicians of the time because of its ability to construct a complete sound environment. Wonder was the first black artist to experiment with this technology on a mass scale, and "Innervisions" was hugely influential on the subsequent future of commercial black music. He also played all or virtually all instruments on six of the album's nine tracks, making most of "Innervisions" a representative one-man band. In 2004, Rolling Stone ranked the song "Higher Ground" #261 on their list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. Stevland Hardaway Judkins (born May 13, 1950), whose name was later changed to Stevland Hardaway Morris, better known by his stage name Stevie Wonder, is an American singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, record producer and activist. Blind from shortly after birth, Wonder signed with Motown Records' Tamla label at the age of eleven, and continues to perform and record for Motown to this day. He has recorded more than thirty U.S. top ten hits and received twenty-two Grammy Awards, the most ever given to a male solo artist. Wonder is also noted for his work as an activist for political causes, including his 1980 campaign to make Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday a holiday in the United States. In 2009, Wonder was named a United Nations Messenger of Peace. This channel is dedicated to all the great 'old school' R&B music I grew up with, the stuff that originally made me tap my feet and want to be a DJ. Funk, soul, disco, R&B, dance, hip-hop, pop . . . 60s, 70s, 80s . . . whatever you call it, it's all 'Old School' and it's all here!
See my videos featuring the Roots of Rap at:
If you like relaxing with some classic Cool Jazz, go to:
To explore the world of The DJ Cafe, go to:
If you love jamming to some great Classic Rock, check out:
Check out my newer music videos and other fun stuff at:
Check out my news videography stuff at:
Also, check out my youngest daughter (the world's youngest video producer) at:
And coming in January 2011 . . .
DJ Buddy Love presents LONGEVITY . . .
A world record club DJ mixing marathon charity event . . .
121 hours nonstop to benefit cancer research . . .
Live to the world via UStream, Facebook, YouTube & Twitter . . .
More details coming soon . . .
Copyright 1973 Tamla/Motown Records
All Rights Reserved
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Higher Ground" on
- 43 videos Play all YouTube Mix
- 4:29 Stevie Wonder - Superstition (Studio Version)by SecondHelping74Featured 2,952,109
- 44:16 Stevie Wonder-Innervisions [Full Album] 1973by Nedaj01 135,852 views
- 4:46 Stevie Wonder "Golden Lady" (1973)by rovingeye2 337,512 views
- 5:05 Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles - Living for the city (live)by thefunkysoulstory01 88,493 views
- 4:51 Stevie Wonder - Master Blaster (Jammin')by johnniewalker23 4,215,612 views
- 4:00 Stevie Wonder - Living for the Cityby cctaximan 1,219,371 views
- 4:32 RHCP perform Higher Ground on David Letterman Showby elybaster 242,217 views
- 3:55 Bee Gees, Staying aliveby draggounet 13,462,390 views
- 4:38 Stevie Wonder - Too Highby love112489's channel 131,253 views
- 43 videos Play all Stevie Wonder Key of Lifeby s2nbas
- 4:13 Stevie Wonder - I Wish (with lyrics)by Kaxusee 120,952 views
- 3:25 Stevie Wonder-Isn't She Lovely Lyricsby Hi all ! 5,122,228 views
- 6:32 Ordinary Pain - Stevie Wonderby Theo Frank 116,045 views
- 7:26 Living For The City - Stevie Wonder (1973)by djbuddyloveoldschool 106,687 views
- 8:35 Dead Man Blues - Wynton Marsalis at Jazz in Marciac 2011by Wynton Marsalis 123,118 views
- 6:49 C & C Music factory - Everybody dance nowby Kledson Moreira 1,936,878 views
- 4:47 Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing - Stevie Wonder (1973)by DJ Buddy Love - Da Old School 276,266 views
- 11:50 Got To Give It Up (Parts 1 & 2) - Marvin Gaye (1977)by djbuddyloveoldschool 220,395 views
- 5:28 BB King & Stevie Wonder - The Thrill is gone (LIVE) 2009by Konstantinos Natas 554,746 views
- 3:44 Stevie Wonder - Higher Ground ("Innervisions")by Eddie Om 46,550 views
- 3:44 Stevie Wonder - Send one your love (1979)by miguius 1,379,601 views
- Loading more suggestions...