BBC Radio 4 Broadcast of "Tracking The Lincolnshire Poacher"
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 28, 2011
The BBC Radio 4 Broadcast of "Tracking The Lincolnshire Poacher," first aired in 2005.
"BBC Radio's Simon Fanshawe embarks on a detective journey into the clandestine world of radio cryptography and attempts to solve one of the most unusual broadcast mysteries of all time."
The phenomenon of so-called "number stations," mysterious shortwave radio broadcasts that seem to exist only to transmit spoken-word numbers, snippets of weird songs and enigmatic codes, is a genuine mystery.
Exactly who is broadcasting these transmissions and why is unknown. One theory holds that the transmissions are part of espionage efforts by the intelligence agencies of different countries, another, that they are the work of organized drug smugglers, while still another claims that they are actually communications between extraterrestrial space aliens! (One commentator on an Internet message board even referred to them as "the aural equivalent of crop circles").
The espionage theory seems to be the most plausible. Akin Fernandez, creator of The Conet Project CD, states that, "Shortwave numbers stations are a perfect method of anonymous, one way communication. Spies located anywhere in the world can be communicated to by their masters via small, locally available, and unmodified shortwave receivers. The encryption system used by numbers stations, known as a "one time pad" is unbreakable. Combine this with the fact that it is almost impossible to track down the message recipients once they are inserted into the enemy country, it becomes clear just how powerful the numbers station system is."While shortwave radio buffs have been aware of them for years, the number station phenomenon remains largely unheard of by the general public.
More info at: http://labyrinth13.com/OtherWorks_Num...
Standard YouTube License
- 4:37 Stuff They Don't Want You to Know - Number Stationsby HowStuffWorks Featured 150,607
- 13:05 NPR's "Lost and Found Sound" radio feature, "The Shortwave Numbers Mystery."by Curt Rowlett12,833 views
- 4:53 Top 3 most disturbing Broadcasts.by toptencats215,348 views
- 59:12 [BBC 4] Samuel Johnson: The Dictionary Manby TheIxy10,735 views
- 8:40 The Woodpecker Signal - The Missing Secrets Of Nikola Teslaby WeAreONEbigFamily7,093 views
- 41:13 The Glory Days of Shortwave Radioby SWLDXBulgaria18,261 views
- 6:42 Numbers Stations: what on earth is this noise? - Truthloader Investigatesby Truthloader134,072 views
- 4:56 Secret government numbers station trackedby stopandstep5,592 views
- 11:01 SOUND of HAARP WEAPON IN ACTION !!! SCARY Lights & Noise!! 2011by Matthew Marley2,381,712 views
- 11:39 Unexplained Youtube 31: Number Stationsby TheBest5Minutes6,290 views
- 3:11 Mysterious Radio Signal On Shortwaveby Starbuckin105,707 views
- 10:39 Wayne Mardle vs Phil taylor World Darts Championshipby xxDartboyxx387,202 views
- 4:19 The Wall / Conet Project - Numbers Stationby navyblue8290,578 views
- 33:10 Best Emergency Shortwave Radio Receiver at Best Price with Best Features! A Reviewby n4ktz11,579 views
- 13:22 B.A.S.E. jumping from DUGAby redaktormtl41,548 views
- 5:46 Achtung! The Swedish Rhapsody Numbers Stationby CapnSONiC381,756 views
- 27:48 "Candle Cove Experiences :: Tales of the Laughingstock" by Ischmael Dugongby MrCreepyPasta103,643 views
- 8:47 Ultimate Survival and Emergency Radioby The Ready Store66,226 views
- 4:36 NSA Signals intelligence Echelon Number Stations Numberstation dk2ndr Spy Crypto Cityby Schnappifilm Molly7,253 views
- 32:21 Call In (2012)by Doug Macphisto1,373 views
- Loading more suggestions...