Seating timelapse of #IslamOrAtheism Debate at #UCL
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 14, 2013
iERA Investigates Complaints about Seating Arrangements at the debate, "Islam or Atheism: Which Makes More Sense?"
The University College London (UCL) has decided to not take any further bookings from the Islamic Education & Research Academy (iERA) after the event entitled: "Islam or Atheism: Which Makes More Sense?" that took place on its premises on Saturday 9th March 2013.
UCL's reasoning is that they do not allow enforced segregation on any grounds at meetings held on campus and their assertion is that "attempts were made to enforce segregation at the meeting (sic)." iERA complied with the request from the University to cater for all preferences by having seating that was open for all attendees, male or female, and two sections to accommodate those that wished to adhere to their deeply held religious beliefs. We also adhered to UCL's request to make sure that the respective areas were clearly marked and ushers were employed in order to facilitate the seating. Please access the following link that is a time-lapse video which demonstrates this (http://youtu.be/Wt77Uua2F6U) .
iERA is an inclusive organisation and its lecturers are the most popular on UK campuses. iERA aims to bring different people together and with this goal seeks to accommodate varying needs. It is a common practice amongst Muslim communities across the UK, based across different schools of thought, to have separate seating arrangements for men and women out of modesty. In light of this iERA accommodated various preferences on the matter, whether religious or non-religious, by having areas to suit everyone. iERA has a responsibility under the Equalities Act 2010 to accommodate any reasonable adjustment to enable all members of society fair access of opportunity including those of religious orthodoxy.
UCL claims to have received some complaints from attendees who say they were asked to sit in a different section to what they chose. In a formal meeting we asked UCL to furnish us with details of those attendees and they were not forthcoming. We then offered UCL our entire guest list to check the email addresses to that of the complainants, they declined this also.
iERA is an organisation committed to constructive dialogue between people of all faiths and none, people of all colours, creeds or sexual orientation so it takes any complaints very seriously. In the absence of co-operation from UCL (although we are hoping that this will no longer will be the case), iERA is conducting an internal investigation with immediate effect. If we find there were any failures on implementing the agreed guidelines on the day, we will be the first to admit this and we will apologise for not honouring our word to UCL, our attendees as well as the general public. This is in accordance with the ordinance from Almighty God who states in the Quran, the final testament to mankind:
"O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to God, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for God can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort justice or decline to do justice, verily God is well-acquainted with all that you do." [Surah al-Nisa': 135]
For further enquiries, please contact our Head of Public Relations, Saleem Chagtai. He can be reached at email@example.com (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org) .
Notes to Editors:
- iERA stands for the Islamic Education and Research Academy
- iERA is committed to presenting Islam to wider society, http://www.iera.org.uk/
- To contact our media team please email email@example.com or call 07956 837087
- iERA is a registered charity in England and Wales: 1134566
Standard YouTube License
- 5:35 ATHEIST PROF. RUNS AWAY FROM A MUSLIM IN A DEBATE!!by IslamTVChannel1Featured 158,258
- 2:11:24 The Big Debates: #IslamOrAtheism - Which Makes More Sense? Lawrence Krauss & Hamza Tzortzisby iERAuk 148,667 views
- 13:26 Go Home you Muslims! | Mission Norway Day 4 - iERAby iERAuk 36,821 views
- 10:16 Muslims talk to EDL English Defence League [LIVE] - Burn a Koran Dayby iERAuk 72,705 views
- 14:53 11 year old girl teaches Muslim man about the Big Bang! | Mission Dawah : Norway - Day 7 - iERAby iERAuk 12,627 views
- Dawah 14,542 videos423
- 1:13:04 Noam Chomsky (May, 2013) "Dirty Wars" with Scahill and Goodmanby TheChomskyVideos 3,611 views
- 33:13 Noam Chomsky (2013) on "Silicon Valley, the Internet, Google, Wikileaks and other topics"by TheChomskyVideos 1,924 views
- 1:05:19 Lawrence Krauss - Debate in Stockholm, 2013by yxol 5,615 views
- 1:09:40 Lawrence Krauss - Lecture in Stockholm, 2013by yxol 15,800 views
- 2:32:17 Ahmadi Muslims Debate Sharia Law with One Law for All (Maryam Namazie) at UCLby MKAUKVideos 36,354 views
- 6:07 Pamela Geller on CNN Countering a Vicious Islamic Supremacist on the AFDI Bus adsby Pamela Geller 21,009 views
- 1:03:39 Dr. Lawrence Krauss' Science & Religion Lecture - "Two Ships at Night" - October 23, 2008by TheInformedAtheist 55,288 views
- 7:30 Muslims clean snow on streets of Cambridge | #SnowDawahby iERAuk 35,594 views
- 1:00:04 Lecture Islam or Atheism Which One Makes More Sense By Hamza Andreas Tzortzis YouTubeby HamzaTzortzis 509 views
- 5:48 Hitchens delivers one of his best hammer blows to cocky audience memberby Rationalstabs 224,757 views
- 58:43 Lawrence Krauss on Q&A - Science vs Religion - 18 Feb 2013by thetomstudio 194,731 views
- 5:30 Public Debate on Christianity in Rumonge, Burundi - Mission Dawah: Africaby iERAuk 5,007 views
- 2:18:05 Belief in God: Prohibitive or Liberating? Lawrence Krauss & Uthman Badar | ANU, April 2012by nahdaproduction 72,517 views
- 2:05:04 DEBATE: Lawrence Krauss v Hamza Tzortzis. "Atheism or Islam: Which Makes More Sense?" (audio) UCLby albertu pardsnipec 9,333 views
- 1:58:35 'Is #IslamOrAtheism More Rational?' Hamza Tzortzis & Dan Barkerby iERAuk 46,526 views
- Loading more suggestions...