This video is unavailable.
Archie Bell & The Drells - Tighten up (1968)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 23, 2010
"Tighten Up" was a 1968 song by Houston, Texas based R&B vocal group Archie Bell & the Drells. It reached #1 on both the Billboard R&B and pop charts in the spring of 1968. It is ranked #265 on the Rolling Stone magazine's list of "the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time" and is one of the earliest funk hits in music history.
"Tighten Up" was written by Archie Bell and Billy Buttier. It was one of the first songs that Archie Bell & the Drells recorded, in a session in 1967, along with a number of songs including "She's My Woman". Soon afterwards Bell was drafted into the U.S. Army and began serving in Vietnam. The song became a hit in Houston, and was picked up by Atlantic Records for distribution in April 1968. By the summer it topped both the Billboard R&B and pop charts. It also sold a million copies by May 1968, gaining an R.I.A.A. gold disc. The line in "Tighten Up", "we dance just as good as we walk" was a little ironic, given that Bell had been shot in the leg and was consigned to a military hospital bed at the time.
The introduction features Bell introducing himself as being from Houston, Texas. According to the Billboard Book of Number One Hits by Fred Bronson, Bell heard a comment after the Kennedy assassination in Dallas, that "nothing good ever came out of Texas." Bell wanted his listeners to know "we were from Texas and we were good."
The song described an accompanying dance that the band had invented, also called the "Tighten Up"; this dance became popular concurrently with the song.
The phenomenal success of the single prompted the band to rush out an album, despite their incapacitated leader. In 1969 the group recorded their first full album with Gamble and Huff, I Can't Stop Dancing, which reached number 28 on the R&B chart.
All music or related performances remain the sole property of their respective copyright holders. No video clips are for sale, nor do they imply challenge to ownerships. They are intended strictly for entertainment and educational purposes only.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Tighten Up Pt. 1" on
Archie Bell and The Drells
- 47 videos Play all YouTube Mix
- 4:02 Tommy James & The Shondells - Crystal Blue Persuasion - 1969by jmms429Featured 554,251
- 3:19 Archie Bell & The Drells - "Tighten Up" on Upbeat! (LIve!)by spikepriggen 121,804 views
- 2:44 Jr Walker & Allstars - Shotgunby FunkSoBrudda 700,689 views
- 3:21 IT'S A SHAME/SPINNERSby manuelworker 1,332,199 views
- 2:38 "I'm A Girl Watcher" The O'Kaysons 1960sby lucyhuto 297,566 views
- Archie Bell & the Drells 535 videos24
- 2:34 JUNIOR WALKER and the ALLSTARS - "WHAT DOES IT TAKE" (to win your love) 1969by ClassicPerformances2 167,954 views
- 2:25 Honey Cone - Want Ads 1970by revup67 895,469 views
- 3:00 The Friends Of Distinction - Grazing In The Grassby Ady Manifold 183,373 views
- 3:03 The Friends of Distinction - Grazing in the Grassby 60otaku3 67,521 views
- 2:58 The Esquires - Get on upby jimmytheferret 84,287 views
- 6:04 Archie Bell & The Drells - Let's Grooveby mike4key 48,927 views
- 3:13 MUSTANG SALLY - WILSON PICKETT.by wiljon47 707,104 views
- 2:39 Sam & Dave - Hold On I'm Comin' (best quality + lyrics)by E18sk8 1,480,422 views
- 2:30 Jean Knight - Mr. Big Stuffby Free3962 338,932 views
- 6:19 White Bird- It's A Beautiful Day -1968by 74sodapop 913,282 views
- 2:48 Dancing In the Moonlightby jermyang 6,189,801 views
- 2:44 j.j jackson .... its alrightby kiddysoulgirl99 166,060 views
- 158 videos Play all Top Music Hits of 1968 plus More!by FranklinParkIL
- 3:40 Tower Of Power - "So Very Hard To Go" (1973)by TheBacmaster 157,445 views
- 2:45 Gallery - It's So Nice To Be With Youby anippygirl 899,706 views
- 2:41 The Intruders - Cowboys to Girlsby 60otaku3 60,078 views
- Loading more suggestions...