Archie Bell & The Drells - Tighten up (1968)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 23, 2010
"Tighten Up" was a 1968 song by Houston, Texas based R&B vocal group Archie Bell & the Drells. It reached #1 on both the Billboard R&B and pop charts in the spring of 1968. It is ranked #265 on the Rolling Stone magazine's list of "the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time" and is one of the earliest funk hits in music history.
"Tighten Up" was written by Archie Bell and Billy Buttier. It was one of the first songs that Archie Bell & the Drells recorded, in a session in 1967, along with a number of songs including "She's My Woman". Soon afterwards Bell was drafted into the U.S. Army and began serving in Vietnam. The song became a hit in Houston, and was picked up by Atlantic Records for distribution in April 1968. By the summer it topped both the Billboard R&B and pop charts. It also sold a million copies by May 1968, gaining an R.I.A.A. gold disc. The line in "Tighten Up", "we dance just as good as we walk" was a little ironic, given that Bell had been shot in the leg and was consigned to a military hospital bed at the time.
The introduction features Bell introducing himself as being from Houston, Texas. According to the Billboard Book of Number One Hits by Fred Bronson, Bell heard a comment after the Kennedy assassination in Dallas, that "nothing good ever came out of Texas." Bell wanted his listeners to know "we were from Texas and we were good."
The song described an accompanying dance that the band had invented, also called the "Tighten Up"; this dance became popular concurrently with the song.
The phenomenal success of the single prompted the band to rush out an album, despite their incapacitated leader. In 1969 the group recorded their first full album with Gamble and Huff, I Can't Stop Dancing, which reached number 28 on the R&B chart.
All music or related performances remain the sole property of their respective copyright holders. No video clips are for sale, nor do they imply challenge to ownerships. They are intended strictly for entertainment and educational purposes only.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Tighten Up Pt. 1" on
Archie Bell and The Drells
- 47 videos Play all YouTube Mix
- 3:00 The Friends Of Distinction - Grazing In The Grassby Ady ManifoldFeatured 176,737
- 2:44 Jr Walker & Allstars - Shotgunby FunkSoBrudda 681,954 views
- 6:24 The Best Song Of 1965: The Academy Awards.by Serenadesong 260,193 views
- 2:25 Honey Cone - Want Ads 1970by revup67 880,402 views
- 3:29 The 5th Dimension - Stoned Soul Picnicby 60otaku3 303,150 views
- 3:03 The Friends of Distinction - Grazing in the Grassby 60otaku3 56,584 views
- 3:21 IT'S A SHAME/SPINNERSby manuelworker 1,319,911 views
- 2:24 We Five- You Were On My Mind 1965by bigggmike2480 1,096,867 views
- 4:37 Boz Scaggs - Lowdownby MemphoTenn 1,996,829 views
- 2:31 Sam & Dave - Hold On, I´m Comingby mekki228 403,556 views
- 5:06 The Chi-lites "Have you seen her"by IsaIMember 5,002,008 views
- 2:58 The Esquires - Get on upby jimmytheferret 81,310 views
- 6:58 WAR- SLIPPIN INTO DARKNESSby sHyGiRlZ310oLdIeZ 356,325 views
- Archie Bell & the Drells 504 videos19
- 2:53 -The Three Degrees- -When will see you again-by EasyMusic36 3,229,860 views
- 2:38 Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth 1967by PityYou007 3,089,857 views
- 4:02 Tommy James & The Shondells - Crystal Blue Persuasion - 1969by jmms429 514,096 views
- 2:30 Jean Knight - Mr. Big Stuffby Free3962 314,568 views
- 6:19 White Bird- It's A Beautiful Day -1968by 74sodapop 892,493 views
- 2:34 JUNIOR WALKER and the ALLSTARS - "WHAT DOES IT TAKE" (to win your love) 1969by ClassicPerformances2 152,045 views
- 2:38 "I'm A Girl Watcher" The O'Kaysons 1960sby lucyhuto 290,308 views
- Loading more suggestions...