Obama Rejects Keystone XL Pipeline
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 19, 2012
President Obama has denied the application to build the 1,700 mile Keystone pipeline from Canada to Texas. It would have cost $7 billion dollars and would have carried oil from tar sands through America's heartland: Montana, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas and Oklahoma--to be refined in the Lone Star state.
The report by the Obama administration is here, as is our poll:
How do you feel about the President's decision on the Keystone Oil pipeline?
Add us to your circles on Google+
Join the conversation on Facebook
Follow The Daily Conversation on Twitter
This decision has angered many people who are fooled by the lie that building it would have created thousands of jobs. Now, while it would have created some jobs, the amount of jobs isn't nearly as much as its backers say. Many of the jobs would have been temporary construction work and wouldn't have offered any permanent, sustainable sources of revenue for the communities along the pipeline--because as soon as a section is completed--poof, they'd disappear and move on to the next town.
A project of this magnitude also demands thorough study and planning to make sure it can be done while protecting the communities and environment from being pillaged or polluted--which is why it's pretty comical that the pipeline's so-called supporters are complaining so much now. The Republicans in congress, by embedding a ridiculous February deadline on a pipeline decision into the completely unrelated payroll tax-cut extension deal reached in December, knew full-well then that two months wouldn't be enough time to study the impacts of this gargantuan project. They thought that they'd corner the President, that he'd give in to their threat that if he rejected the pipeline, they'd be able to more easily label him a job destroyer in a crucial election year that will focus on his ability to create jobs. They called his bluff, and they lost. Obama did what was right and prudent by rejecting the proposal because his administration wasn't given enough time to do an adequate review.
So when you hear people saying President Obama is a job killer, just look at the oil pipeline he killed--keep in mind who really killed it. And so-called journalists whose job it is to hold politicians accountable for their lies, need to remember that fact too.
Standard YouTube License
- 0:54 Obama Sings Al Green's "Let's Stay Together"by The Daily ConversationFeatured 72,053
- 5:25 EPA Sets Historic Air Quality Standardsby TheDailyConversation 1,113 views
- 3:42 Keystone Pipeline: No Brainerby United Association 35,823 views
- 8:02 Best Tie-Break ever. Nadal Verdasco Australian Open 2009by Amassa Guenalo 20,538 views
- 2:06 President Barack Obama on the Keystone XL pipelineby canuckwashcorro 1,639 views
- 12:03 Canada Will Sell Oil To China If US Keeps Delaying The Pipelineby Paweenaoilandgas s.a 4,980 views
- 5:53 Obama Administration Delays Keystone XL Pipeline Approvalby PBSNewsHour 3,112 views
- 11:39 Tar Sands Oil Extraction - The Dirty Truthby Sustainable Guidance 189,852 views
- 10:05 Canada's reaction to Keystone rejectionby globalnewsdotca 1,860 views
- 6:02 Could Keystone Pipeline Plan Be Revived After Obama's Rejection?by PBSNewsHour 1,601 views
- 2:50 Robert Redford Supports Keystone Pipeline Rejection By Obamaby NRDCflix 264,650 views
- 8:34 Oil Prices Hit $100. So Why Did Obama Kill the Keystone Pipeline?by Pajamasmedia 2,681 views
- 2:31 3 Reasons to Build the Keystone XL Pipelineby ReasonTV 16,387 views
- 2:00 Obama diverts North American oil to China - kills jobsby usACTIONnews 2,856 views
- 3:22 WH Press Secretary: Obama Did Make Calls To Kill Keystoneby goprapidresponse 2,171 views
- 1:29 Mitt Romney Says if He's President, "I'll Build that (Keystone) Pipeline if I have to Do It Myself"by Freedom's Lighthouse Video 4,149 views
- 4:34 Newt Slams Obama's Stupidity on the Keystone Pipelineby Newt Gingrich's YouTube Channel 26,389 views
- 3:00 Secretary Clinton Discusses the Keystone Pipeline Projectby statevideo 8,489 views
- 4:18 Maddow Flushes Mitch Danials As GOP Answer To SOTU Addressby FEDX50 132 views
- 0:48 Newt Gingrich on Canadian Oil Keystone XL Pipelineby Dan Lederman 5,112 views
- Loading more suggestions...