Del Shannon - "Keep Searchin" (1964)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 3, 2010
These are the actual photos of Bonnie and Clyde's car riddled with bullets by the FBI.
Del Shannon (December 30, 1934 — February 8, 1990) was an American rock and roll singer-songwriter who had a No. 1 hit, "Runaway", in 1961.
Del Shannon was born Charles Weedon Westover in Grand Rapids, Michigan. He grew up in Coopersville, a small town near Grand Rapids. There he learned ukulele and guitar and listened to country and western music, including Hank Williams, Hank Snow, and Lefty Frizzell. In 1954, he was drafted into the Army, and while in Germany played guitar in a band called the Cool Flames.
When his service ended, he returned to Battle Creek, Michigan, and worked in a furniture factory as a truck driver and selling carpets. He also found part-time work as a rhythm guitarist in singer Doug DeMott's group, working at the Hi-Lo Club. When DeMott was fired in 1958, Westover took over as leader and singer, giving himself the name Charlie Johnson, and renaming his band the Big Little Show Band.
In early 1959 he added keyboardist Max Crook, who played the Musitron (his own invention of an early synthesizer). Crook had made recordings and persuaded Ann Arbor disc jockey Ollie McLaughlin to hear the band. In turn, McLaughlin took the group's demos to Harry Balk and Irving Micahnik of Talent Artists in Detroit. In July 1960, Westover and Crook signed to become recording artists and composers, recording for Big Top. Balk suggested Westover use a new name, and they came up with Del Shannon, combining a friend's assumed surname with Del from his favorite car, the Cadillac Coupe de Ville.
He flew to New York City, but his first sessions did not produce results. McLaughlin persuaded Shannon and Crook to rewrite and re-record one of their earlier songs, originally called "Little Runaway", using the Musitron as lead instrument. On January 21, 1961, they recorded "Runaway", released as a single in February 1961. It reached #1 in the Billboard chart in April.
Shannon followed with "Hats Off to Larry", which peaked at #5 (Billboard) and #2 on Cashbox in 1961, and the less popular "So Long, Baby," another song of breakup bitterness. "Runaway" and "Hats Off to Larry" were recorded in a day. "Little Town Flirt", in 1962 (with Bob Babbitt), reached #12 in 1963, as did the album of the same name. After these hits, Shannon was unable to keep his momentum in the U.S., but continued his success in England, where he had always been more popular. In 1963, he became the first American to record a cover version of a Beatles song. "From Me to You" charted in the US before the Beatles.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Keep Searchin'" on
- 46 videos Play all YouTube Mix
- 2:02 Del Shannon - Keep Searching 1965by chopwinFeatured 895,861
- 2:43 The Everly Brothers - LET IT BE MEby felixbautista 7,256 views
- 2:35 The Shangri-Las -Leader Of The Pack Video with High Quality Soundby 666zombiebabe 30,893 views
- 2:09 Del Shannon - Keep Searchin' (We'll Follow The Sun) - 1965 - 45 RPMby TheRecordCollector 339 views
- 2:48 Del Shannon - Little Town Flirtby Boxbot79 77,337 views
- 38 videos Play all DEL SHANNONby texasgirl1947
- 2:08 Del Shannon & Burton Cummings - Keep Searching (Live 1982).wmvby DelShannonFanatic 1,481 views
- 2:19 Del Shannon Runaway Lyricsby msknowitall96 39,366 views
- 2:13 Del Shannon - Keep Searchin' (We'll Follow The Sun)by TheMarievil68 491 views
- 3:06 Etta James - My Dearest Darlingby classicmoodexp 27,270 views
- 8:26 Del Shannon's induction in the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fameby rockinkb 10,545 views
- 2:09 (STEREO) Del Shannon - Keep Searchin' (We'll Follow The Sun)by SirBasildeBrush 11,095 views
- 2:35 Del Shannon - Runaround Sueby John1948ThreeC 112,982 views
- 1:40 DEL SHANNON LITTLE TOWN FLIRTby puckhead3535 3,302 views
- 2:56 Etta james - All I Could Do Was Cryby Maria Wiesener 33,953 views
- 1:53 Del Shannon - From Me To Youby bze2nlz4 4,771 views
- 3:36 Traveling Wilburys-Runaway (Del Shannon`s song)by THEMCCARTNEYCHANNEL 128,315 views
- 2:52 Del Shannon - Little Town Flirt (2)by John1948ThreeC 5,059 views
- 2:40 Gene Pitney - It Hurts To Be In Love (1964)by Bacmaster 5,423 views
- 2:44 Dionne Warwick - I'll Never Fall In Love Again (HQ)by TheOldrecordclub 36,160 views
- 2:24 Del Shannon - Keep Searchingby rockinkb 11,090 views
- Loading more suggestions...