What Phi (the golden ratio) Sounds Like
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 15, 2012
To buy a high quality mp3 of this song: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/michaeljohnb...
Phi = φ = 1.61803398874989484820458683436563811772
"What Phi (the golden ratio) Sounds Like" is a musical interpretation of the mathematical constant Phi. The formula I use to translate the digits of Phi into music is as follows:
1 = C
2 = D
3 = E
4 = F
5 = G
6 = A
7 = B
8 = C octave
9 = D octave
0 = no note is played
See my Pi and Tau videos for more explanation:
The melodies that you hear throughout this piece are taken directly from the first 39 digits of Phi. The tempo is set at 161.8 BPM.
Phi represents the golden ratio which has been used by artists, musicians and architects throughout history for it's aesthetically pleasing properties, and is seen to occur in nature in many forms. It is even used for trading algorithms and strategies in the financial market.
Here are a few examples:
-Composers Bartok, Satie, and Debussy amongst others have used the golden ratio in their various musical pieces.
-Salvadore Dali's used the golden ratio in his masterpiece, "The Sacrament of the Last Supper", down to the dimensions of the canvas.
-The Parthenon in Greece is said to exhibit golden rectangles.
-Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt has dimensions based on the Golden Ratio
-The branching of veins and nerves, the proportions of chemical compounds, geometry of crystals, veins in leaves, flowers, shells, weather systems, the rings of Saturn, the clock cycle of brain waves in the human body, the magnetic resonance of spins in cobalt niobate crystals at the atomic level, and human genome DNA
MATH & DESIGN
-Seen in pentagrams, triangles, polyhedra, graveyard crosses, violins, postcards, and widescreen televisions.
Music by Michael John Blake
Video by Amos John Lanka (http://www.amoslanka.com)
Standard YouTube License
- 3:24 What Pi sounds like.by Michael BlakeFeatured 929,699
- 25:55 Ancient Knowledge Pt.1 Consciousness, Sacred Geometry, Cymatics, Illusion of Reality (Rare Footage)by KilluminatiTheMovie 1,157,132 views
- 1:43:18 2. The Golden Ratio & Fibonacci Numbers: Fact versus Fictionby StanfordUniversity 18,472 views
- 9:53 The Miracle of 528 Hz Solfeggio and Fibonacci numbersby BruineDwerg2012 1,131,119 views
- 47:54 Modern Evaluation Of The Great Pyramid - Part Iby Samuel Laboy 13,517 views
- Golden ratio 4,920 videos271
- 45:30 Ancient Knowledge Pt.4 The Real Secret Of How The Pyramids Were Built & Coral Castleby KilluminatiTheMovie 311,302 views
- 5:27 Fibonacci's Fractalsby Phil Langdon 324,076 views
- 5:07 The sound of phi (base 10 in major scale)by Allan Inocêncio 392 views
- 52:34 Ancient Knowledge Pt.3 Pyramids, Monuments & Megaliths, Ley Lines .flvby tectalabyss 11,912 views
- 1:34 "1.618" on Pianoby colonelsnakeeyes182 97,572 views
- 14:37 Pi may be wrong, but so is Tau!by David Butler 21,501 views
- 3:46 Formula for Beauty -- anyone can look hot with the golden ratioby PhotoshopSurgeon 287,905 views
- 13:53 Golden Rules for Artistsby Shoo Rayner 24,447 views
- 9:24 The Fibonacci in Lateralusby Phil Riehl 3,201,243 views
- 9:59 Golden Ratio Point Of The World * Meccaby HighFlyingDutchman 133,350 views
- 1:22 Golden Ratio Musicby breadbassed 24,027 views
- 4:10 Mona Lisa (Monna Lisa) -- Leonardo Da Vinci's Use of Sacred Geometryby plumstreetmusic 1,286,167 views
- 2:38 When not knowing Math can cost you $15,000by mathclips 1,693,979 views
- 7:27 Fibonacci gauge: Phi and the golden ratioby Steve Ramsey 56,740 views
- 30:09 GOLDEN MATRIX - Pure Sine Wave Sound Mandala of the PHI Ratioby 888OXOMOXO888 2,008 views
- Loading more suggestions...