This video is unavailable.
JP Morgan's Regulatory Arbitrage of turning Financial Loss into Political Profit
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 21, 2012
Follow us @
Welcome to Capital Account. Bloomberg reports investors are worried JP Morgan is planning to pull back in the European mortgage bond market in the wake of the CIO disaster, causing significant volatility. JP Morgan is the biggest buyer of European home-loan bonds. Is this just one of many examples of how JP Morgan's reckless 2 billion dollar trading loss may be felt most by other people and firms, while JP Morgan could, perversely enough, actually be the firm to benefit most?
The numbers seem to indicate that when there is a crisis in the financial industry, there is a push towards more regulation. Our guest on today's Capital Account, ZeroHedge contributing editor Bob English, argues that the real problem is moral hazard and lack of personal accountability. Combine this with free money lent by the Fed, and you have an environment that is not only hospitable, but ideal for Whales like the one we saw in JP Morgan.
And former Goldman Sachs director Rajat Gupta goes on trial for insider trading today, while entire too big to fail firms arguably engage in this behavior as a matter of normal business by front running their own clients. Meanwhile, it is revealed that the same guy managing risk in JP Morgan's CIO was fired from a firm a few years ago for overseeing trading losses that resulted in a regulatory probe. So, despite billions of dollars more spent on financial regulation over the years, what are we left with? We'll talk about what's missing and why it will continue to fall short of preventing the next systemic crisis.
And the G8 summit came and went with leaders taking in a little soccer and signing onto a communique where a top mandate read: "Our imperative is to promote growth and jobs."...So, as they seemingly sign their names to more screwed up central planning, they do so against the backdrop of this history: in the US, for the first time ever, those who didn't go to college at all may officially be better off. We'll explain.
- 28:03 Jim Rickards on Europe's Bank Run and why JP Morgan was late to "Puke the Trade"by CapitalAccount 30,235 views
- 28:05 William Black on JP Morgan and the Failure to Regulate Wall Street Fraudby CapitalAccount 12,060 views
- 28:05 The US Treasury prize, the Euro's demise, and Facebook lies w/Paul Craig Robertsby CapitalAccount 8,565 views
- 28:02 Facebook's IPO Bombs, while "Hot" Tech Companies Cook the Books!by CapitalAccount 12,837 views
- 12:45 MELTDOWN UPDATE: The JP Morgan Derivatives Book is Blowing Up - Bix Weirby SGTbull07 41,837 views
- 4:57 Triangular Arbitrage Step-by-Stepby collegefinance 21,382 views
- 28:04 Reggie Middleton breaks down "Muppetology," Face Ripping IPO's, and the Chinese Wall!by CapitalAccount 16,594 views
- 16:30 JP Morgan Debacle Shows Deep Systemic Risk Unchangedby TheRealNews 4,173 views
- 13 videos Play all Tradingby rcharlesteel
- 16:26 Absolutely Must Watch! SILVER CRASH was PLANNED to SAVE JPMORGAN - Greg Mannarinoby UnconventionalFIN 31,682 views
- 28:04 Lauren Lyster and Heidi Moore infiltrate JP Morgan's Mafia Hearings in Washington DC!by CapitalAccount 19,689 views
- 27:53 Nigel Farage on the "EU Titanic" and the "Rebirth of National Socialism in Europe"by CapitalAccount 69,605 views
- 27:38 lindsey williams emergency update JP Morgan $2 billion loss May 2012by Carlos Sandoval 23,588 views
- 28:04 JP Morgan's "Unicorn Hedge" Fairy Tale Harpoons the London Whale!by CapitalAccount 17,232 views
- 48:07 Alasdair Macleod: All Roads in Europe Lead to Goldby ChrisMartensondotcom 9,847 views
- 28:06 Is JP Morgan CEO Jamie Dimon the "World's Funniest Financier?"by CapitalAccount 19,562 views
- 10:52 CEDAR FINANCE SCAM? (Dont invest until you see thiby Davinport942 7,464 views
- 8:29 California as broke as Greece?by RTAmerica 14,375 views
- 28:05 GATA's Bill Murphy exposes how the Gold Cartel is Bombing the Market for Precious Metalsby CapitalAccount 29,347 views
- 28:07 John Butler on the Dollar Liability and Gold's role as the Insuranceby CapitalAccount 11,869 views
- 28:05 Gerald Celente calls out Jamie "two-bit" Dimon and his Financial Crime Syndicateby CapitalAccount 19,902 views
- Loading more suggestions...