Ben E King - Stand By Me
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 17, 2010
PLEASE NOTE: I divided my uploads between multiple channels, Bookmark this link in your browser for instant access to an index with links to all of John1948's oldies classics. LINK: http://tinyurl.com/Channel-Index
Benjamin Earl King (born September 28, 1938), better known as Ben E. King, is an American soul singer. He is perhaps best known as the singer and co-composer of "Stand by Me," a U.S. top 10 hit in both 1961 and 1987 and a #1 hit in the UK in 1987, and as one of the principal lead singers of the R&B vocal group The Drifters.
King was born Benjamin Earl Nelson in Henderson, North Carolina and moved to Harlem, New York City, New York, at the age of nine.
In 1958, he joined a doo wop group called The Five Crowns. Later that year, The Drifters' manager fired the members of the group and replaced them with The Five Crowns, who had performed several engagements with the Drifters. Nelson co-wrote the first hit by the new version of the Drifters, "There Goes My Baby" (1959). He also sang lead, using his birth name, on "Save the Last Dance for Me", a song written by Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman, "Dance With Me", "This Magic Moment", "I Count the Tears" and "Lonely Winds". King only recorded ten songs with The Drifters, including a non-single called "Temptation" which was later redone by Johnny Moore. Ben E. King career was so brief with The Drifters, The Drifters manager George Treadwell never gave Ben E. King a chance to perform with The Drifters on tour or in television. On television , A fellow Drifters member Charlie Thomas usually lip sung the songs that Ben E. King recorded with the Drifters.
In 1960, he left the Drifters after failing to gain a salary increase and what he felt to be a fairer share of the group's royalties. At this point he assumed the more memorable stage name Ben E. King in preparation for a successful solo career. Remaining on Atlantic Records on its Atco imprint, King scored his first solo hit with the ballad "Spanish Harlem" (1961). "Stand by Me" was his next recording. Written by King along with Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller, "Stand by Me" was voted as one of the Songs of the Century by the Recording Industry Association of America. "Stand by Me", "There Goes My Baby" and "Spanish Harlem" were named as three of The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 500 Songs that Shaped Rock and Roll and were all given a Grammy Hall of Fame Award, as well as "Save The Last Dance For Me". His other well known songs were "Don't Play That Song (You Lied)" (which was covered by Aretha Franklin in the 1970s), "Amor", "Seven Letters", "How Can I Forget", "On the Horizon", "Young Boy Blues", "I (Who Have Nothing)", "First Taste of Love", "Here Comes the Night", "Ecstasy", That's When It Hurts , Down Home , River of Tears , Do It in the Name of Love , and It's All Over .
In the summer of 1963, King had a top 30 national hit with "I (Who Have Nothing)", a song that reached the Top 10 on New York's radio station, WMCA. The song has been covered many times, notably by Luther Vandross & Martha Wash, John Lennon, Shirley Bassey, Tom Jones, Sylvester James, U2, Bruce Springsteen, Jedi Mind Tricks, and most recently by American Idol contestant Jordin Sparks, during the March 20, 2007 and May 15, 2007 telecasts. King's records continued to place well on the Billboard Hot 100 chart until 1965. British pop bands began to dominate the pop music scene, but King still continued to make R&B hits and minor Pop hits. King's other hits were "What is Soul?" (1967), "Supernatural Thing, Part 1" (1975), and the re-issue in 1986 of "Stand by Me", following the song's use as the theme song to the movie Stand By Me, and though the song is used numerous times throughout the film, the film itself has nothing to do with Ben E. King or the song.
Throughout his career he has achieved five number one hits, which were "There Goes My Baby", "Save The Last Dance For Me", "Stand By Me", "Supernatural Thing", and the 1986 re-issue of "Stand By Me". He also earned twelve Top 10 hits and Twenty four Top 40 hits, from 1959 to 1986. He has also been inducted to the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame as a Drifters member and nominated for his career as a solo artist but not yet accepted.
Currently, King is active in his charitable foundation, the Stand By Me Foundation. He has been a resident of Teaneck, New Jersey since the late 1960s.
More recently, King performed "Stand By Me" during a televised tribute to late comedian George Carlin, as he was one of Carlin's favorite artists.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Stand By Me" on
Ben E. King
- 2:44 My Girl - The Temptationsby yagocidFeatured 4,329,327
- 3:29 Unchained Melody - Righteous Brothersby magnus306 17,803,446 views
- 2:49 Ben E King - Spanish Harlemby Song Archives - Beau thru Bez 796,870 views
- 21 videos Play all Stand By Me - Variadasby lucpesan
- 2:57 Percy Sledge - When a Man Loves a Womanby countvonfersen 4,946,766 views
- 2:27 Ben E. King and The Drifters - Save The Last Dance For Meby Song Archives - Beau thru Bez 109,316 views
- 3:04 Ben E. King - Don't Play That Song (You Lied)by John1948OneD 37,554 views
- 2:14 Tear's On My Pillowby KnightInWhite 1,894,493 views
- 4:41 Percy Sledge - When a Man Loves A Womanby LEOJRAMO8592 8,730,375 views
- 2:35 Be my baby - The Ronettesby aaron m 10,877,487 views
- 3:20 Al Green-Lets Stay Togetherby maoriSHooRTiie's channel 17,920,736 views
- PlayingForChange 86 videos272K
- 3:06 stand by meby ptitangenoir84 16,471,479 views
- 2:49 Ben E. King - Goodnight My Loveby Song Archives - Beau thru Bez 39,332 views
- 2:41 Under the boardwalk - The driftersby musicisthebeesknees 923,409 views
- 3:04 I Will Follow Him 【天使にラブソングを】by gjaougg 2,769,421 views
- 3:04 Enrique Iglesias - Stand By Me (LIVE)by kupsztol 3,660,355 views
- 5:50 One of the best inspirational videos ever - Susan Boyle - Britains Got Talent 2009by Akhil Khatri 107,983,659 views
- 2:11 bob marley i can see clearlyby 3900 blok 1,055,809 views
- 3:56 Tracy Chapman - Stand by meby Dê Rodrigues 4,446,247 views
- 2:40 THE PLATTERS - ONLY YOUby Aguinaldo Oliveira 10,347,360 views
- 5:33 Ben E. King VS. Sean Kingston - Stand By Me Beautiful Girlby birus4ever 739,882 views
- Loading more suggestions...