How to make your own rock candy (sugar crystal candy)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 3, 2010
Make your own sweet edible crystal creation!
Mix 1 cup of water with 3 cups of sugar in a saucepan.
Bring to a boil over medium high heat and then remove from heat.
Add food colour or some flavouring (vanilla, peppermint extract, cherry extract etc.) if desired (optional). Stir.
Pour into a glass container and suspend string, a pipe cleaner in the solution.
After a few days crystal will begin to grown on the object suspended in the liquid. Pour into new container if there are too many sugar crystals on the bottom or sides of the container.
**FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS**
1. Can I use something other than a pipe cleaner?
I have heard that you can use a wooden skewer or chopstick or a popsicle stick but I've never tried it myself so I don't know if that works or not. The smoother the surface, the longer it may take for crystals to form.
2. Can I use a sting instead of a pipe cleaner?
You can also use string instead of the pipe cleaner, but it may be more difficult to get it to sink straight down into the jar. It may not work if the string is very thin or very smooth. You may have to weight it with something like a clean new paper clip or a life saver candy or use a very rough fuzzy string
Viewers have told me that the string must also be fairly thick and it is better if it is fuzzy.
I have also heard that dipping the damp string or wooden skewer or chopstick in some dry sugar before putting it into the solution also helps.
3. Can I make more than one of these at a time?
You can put more than one string/pipe cleaner in the solution at one time, just make sure they aren't touching.
4. Can I re-use the solution after I make one?
Only use the solution to make one batch of rock candy (about one week) just in case molds or bacteria are growing in there.
5. Do I have to use a mason jar?
You can use whatever kind of container you like as long as it is tall.
6. Do I have to use the flavouring or food colour?
No you don't need to use food colouring or flavouring, that is optional.
7. Do I have to use orange extract or can I use something else?
You can use any kind of flavouring or extract (lemon, vanilla, rum, etc)
8. Won't the sugar stick to the pipe cleaner when I eat this?
If you don't find the idea of nibbling sugar off of a pipe cleaner appealing, then don't use a pipe cleaner. Some of the pipe cleaner fuzzies may come off when you eat the sugar down close to the pipe cleaner. To my knowledge no one has EVER died from ingesting a tiny piece of pipe cleaner fluff. You are probably doing more damage to your body by eating the pure sugar.
9. Can I use brown sugar or powdered sugar?
I've never tried this with brown sugar, so I don't know if it will work or not, powdered sugar does not work.
10. OMG, I can't wait a week. Can I put this in the fridge to speed it up?
You can't speed this up by putting it in the freezer or fridge. These aren't ice crystals they are sugar crystals, cold will slow down the process.
11. Can I use less sugar?
The trick is to make sure you have a 3:1 ratio of sugar to water. So... 1 1/2 cups of sugar to 1/2 cup of water is an example of a smaller recipe. If you do reduce it the amount of syrup, make sure your container is tall and skinny (like a tall drinking glass) and that the string or pipecleaner you are using is completely immersed.
12. Hey, my question isn't in here!!!
If you've made it to FAQ #12 and still don't have your question answered, then you can go to my channel page and click on the "contact me" link and send me an email.
INFO ABOUT ME :)
My name is Tammy and I live in Northeastern Ontario Canada.
What you will find on my channel:
Cupcake decorating tutorials for all occasions
Fun rainbow food
Harry Potter crafts (and other fun crafts)
Main mean ideas
Cakepops for all occasions
Halloween treats and cupcakes
Cookies, cookies and more cookies
Quilling (the art of paper filigree)
Fun paper crafts
My channel page where you will find all of my videos and playlists. I have tried to organize my videos into playlist by category (Easter treats, animal cupcakes, rainbow treats etc.)
If you subscribe any new video I make will show up in your subscription box, delivered to you like a new magazine to your door (except free). You can even go to your subscriptions section of your channel and click on "manage subscriptions" and select "email with new uploads" on my channel. This way you will get an email telling you I have a new video up if you don't go to YouTube often.
I LOVE comments and I read each and every one of them.
I try very hard to answer questions when I can, but there is an excellent chance your question has been answered in the description box or in the comments, so please take a look.
Standard YouTube License
- 8:45 PANDA MINI OREO CHEESECAKE - NERDY NUMMIESby Rosanna Pansino Featured 416,491
- Vat19.com 549 videos498K
- 11:03 Candy and Cake "Tacos"by yoyomax12 - the diet free zone691,847 views
- 4:38 Decorating Cupcakes: #3 Sunflower and Ladybug -with yoyomax12by yoyomax12 - the diet free zone1,095,722 views
- 10:11 Candy Melting Wafer Demo #2: Halloween lollipops, witches fingers and eyeballsby yoyomax12 - the diet free zone436,759 views
- 4:41 How To Make Fortune Cookiesby yoyomax12 - the diet free zone501,844 views
- 5:37 Rock Candy Edible Geode HOW TO cook that Rock Candy Recipe Ann Reardonby How To Cook That492,677 views
- 6:39 Making Rock Candy!!! (4.8.11)by TheTimTracker482,018 views
- 2:10 Grow Crystals!by About.com143,232 views
- 8:45 How To Make Homemade Marshmallowsby Carrie Isaac2,467,481 views
- 5:50 How to make colored sugarby JSSmith4273350,338 views
- 2:24 homemade cotton candy-machineby mads9621311,282 views
- 2:04 How to Make Sugar Glassby Howcast379,895 views
- 3:06 How to Make Candy Sushiby About.com384,521 views
- 0:41 How to make Rock candy at home!by Jack Yeo298,709 views
- 6:43 KTM Dirtbike Stuntsby Stephen46822,307,924 views
- 4:15 2 Minutes Chocolate Cakeby Raphael Gomes1,545,564 views
- 10:57 How to Make Sour Gummi Candyby danrt50 .872,346 views
- 5:19 HOW TO MAKE SUGAR CUBESby SimpleCookingChannel843,373 views
- 21:10 Furious World Tour - Biggest, Best and Most Famous Eats in NYC, Vegas and LA - Abenteuer Lebenby Furious Pete2,740,061 views