Live Music - The Receding Glaciers of the Art: Breaking Anchor Jazz Quartet at TEDxKids@BC
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 23, 2012
ABOUT THE SPEAKERS
Tony Wu -- Playing his first trumpet note in the seventh grade, Tony knew it would become a lifelong love affair. Within two years of that first note, he switched from concert band to jazz as the technique and improvisation element intrigued him. With support from jazz teacher and mentor Ms. Balchen, Quartet Jazz was created. Playing for the community alongside his friends is a pastime Tony cherishes daily.
Adam Xiao -- At the age of 4, Adam began his musical studies with the classical piano. As a result of his continuous efforts, he even achieved an ARCT performance level. As part of his elementary school band program, Adam learned to play the alto saxophone. Finding much success with this, he opted for the jazz band elective for first year high school. He credits his band teacher Ms. Balchen for introducing to him to the beauty of jazz music in addition to her continued support.
Derek Chan -- From Burnaby, British Columbia, Derek is a lover of music, karate and outdoor exploration. At the age of 6, Derek first learned to play piano. Since then, he has also learned to play guitar, trumpet and bass guitar for his high schools jazz band. Lover of all live music, you can often find Derek catching or simply in his basement playing music with his friends. His favorite musicians vary in genres and include Miles Davis, Nobuo Uematsu, Said the Whale and Taylor Swift.
Florian Zhou -- A grade twelve student and a 5-year music program participant, Florian most enjoys playing his guitar. Grateful and fortunate for having met his talented counterparts, Florian relishes in performing within the community as a self-organized student ensemble. His love for music does not go unnoticed and as a result he hopes to raise awareness in the potential music has to create change.
ABOUT THE TALK
Breaking Anchor jazz quartet presents Live Music -- The Receding Glaciers of the Art, a conscious discussion served to promote awareness for the decreasing appreciation of live music. Due to the dominance of business and technology, music has become so industrialized and accessible that people have no need to attend concerts. Live music provides an immersive atmosphere and many emotional connections that its digitalized counterparts cannot replicate. With a lack of demand for live music, musicians are struggling and the art of performing is deteriorating. The members of this quartet hope to share their passion for the performing arts and reignite live music in the communities.
The mission of TEDxKids@BC is to help create a world in which the kids have been invited to explore their passions and to contribute in realizing such a world for the youth in our community. To accomplish this, we're trying to build platform for facilitating opportunities to empower kids and help them apply their passions. Find out more at http://www.tedxkidsbc.com
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized.* (*Subject to certain rules and regulations)
Standard YouTube License
- 11:06 The End of the World and the Beginning of Everything: Selin Jessa at TEDxKids@BCby TEDxYouth661 views
- 13:39 TEDxKids@BC - Veronika Bylicki - Transforming our Cities: The Ultimate Urban Sustainabilityby TEDxYouth679 views
- 11:33 TEDxKids@BC - Jamshed Colah - Creating Change by Empowering Youth Artistsby TEDxYouth449 views
- 8:43 TEDxKids@BC - James Sun - Using the Entrepreneurial Mindset to Unlock Youth Potentialby TEDxYouth2,776 views
- 15:06 Music Technology with Brent Daniels | Academic Entertainment | Promo Videoby Brent Daniels Music3,662 views
- 11:20 Burnaby North Seconday @ District Jazz Night - Autumn Leaves & Billie's Bounceby BreakitDownX179 views
- 11:15 Emcee/Anchor Ujjwal Pareek hosting HONEY SINGH LIVE-IN CONCERT.aviby EMCEE UJJWAL13,020 views
- 8:16 Bass Singers Quartet (Have a Little Talk With Jesus) 05-01-10by psalmofpraise791,642 views
- 7 videos Play all TEDxKids@BC - 04/05/2012by TEDxYouth
- 25:00 3rd-5th grade music program at Maysville Elementary featuring Hailie Mentzby Laura Mentz494 views
- 10:57 African Rhythms: The Autobiography of Randy Westonby Jazz Video Guy6,957 views
- 7:03 anchoring FOR MUSIC EVENTS.MTSby SANGEETA MONDAL236 views
- 9:55 The Sax Kings, featured on "Gull-Clip" Vol.2by Sax Kings Quartet211 views
- 4:10 kamal janis show khan special-prashant rao anchorby naicy07895592 views
- 9:22 RJ lakshey's anchoring videosby vishal sirohi3,705 views
- 4:38 Interview - Elementary School Music Teacher - Dave Gordonby NEXT network822 views
- 10:29 The Power of One - Carter G Woodson Elementary School 5th Grade Music Technology Class of 2008by jlex5616,633 views
- 1:14:53 Jazz Compilation 2012 Part 2by Kakteen Fou5,210,800 views
- 4:16 Dusty River Boysby saddlebrooke62306274 views
- 1:18:45 【作業用BGM】 クリスマスセレクト ～Jazzy Holiday～ 【Jazz】by nuwjon22,151 views