Moneys feast on pumpkins at OHSU's Oregon National Primate Research Center
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 11, 2011
OHSU Primate Center Monkeys Usher in the Holidays With a Pumpkin Feast
11/12/10 Beaverton, Ore.
Monkeys at Oregon Health & Science University's Oregon National Primate Research Center enjoyed a pumpkin feast. In what has become somewhat of an annual tradition, monkeys living at the center received locally grown pumpkins.
Each fall, members of the primate center's animal care staff purchase or obtain donated pumpkins to give to the monkeys. The seasonal squash is considered a favorite treat by the animals, which also receive other fruits and vegetables year-round. About 100 pumpkins were provided to Rhesus Macaque monkeys and Japanese Macaque Monkeys.
The Oregon National Primate Research Center at OHSU is one of eight national primate centers funded by the National Institutes of Health. The centers serve as a location for health studies that require animal based research. At the Oregon center, main areas of research are the study of neurological disorders such as MS and Parkinson's diseases, research into addressing fertility problems and preventing premature birth and infectious disease research focusing on diseases such as AIDS.
Recent research advancements include:
- Development of a promising new gene therapy method.
- Significant advancements in fighting AIDS in its early stages and preventing disease transmission to infants.
- New information that offers hope to children born in the midst of the current obesity epidemic.
- A major advancement in stem cell treatments designated as the No. 1 science breakthrough by TIME Magazine in 2007.
ONPRC is a registered research institution, inspected regularly by the United States Department of Agriculture. It operates in compliance with the Animal Welfare Act and has an assurance of regulatory compliance on file with the National Institutes of Health. The ONPRC also participates in the voluntary accreditation program overseen by the Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care International (AAALAC).
Standard YouTube License
- 10:10 Poor Baby Monkey 2012/ 02/ 20by gggy1004 Featured 29,190
- 1:16:20 Monkey Business Part 2/2: The Truth About Animal Testing and the ONPRC (Let LIve Conference NW)by roxyapoxy827 views
- 0:36 Jane Goodall Speaks Out About Animal Abuse at the Oregon National Primate Research Centerby VeganForVendetta3,218 views
- 44:51 Unexplained Cattle Mutilations (Documentary)by EsotericHaven25,578 views
- 1:16:09 Robert Sapolsky: Are Humans Just Another Primate?by worldinformant64,626 views
- 30:34 Monkey Business Part 1/2: The Truth About Animal Testing and the ONPRC (Let LIve Conference NW)by roxyapoxy3,181 views
- 1:59:51 Curious George Full English Episodes 2013 HDby pinguCartoonTv1,867,541 views
- 4:36 Workers Discuss Care Of Animals In Primate Researchby Channel 3000 | News 32,470 views
- 26 videos Play all monkby mdwbronco
- 16:25 Oregon National Primate Research Center Video Tourby OHSUvideo483 views
- 3:45 Behavioral Pharmacology Lab (Animal Laboratory Facility) - A CRO Labby CERCAINSIGHTSSB754 views
- 46:06 Pure Nature Specials - Tarsier Primate - The Littlest Alienby AlliantContent45,432 views
- 5:34 Oregon Health & Science Univ. (OHSU) Biomedical Informatics Programby Bill Hersh868 views
- 1:00 ANIMAL NATION - BABOONSby PegEntLtd575 views
- 8:26 Worst Laboratories in the U.S and the money from public fundsby Ultr4music3,367 views
- 4:29 Vervet Monkey Foundation Dino and Daniel Introby Dave Du Toit407 views
- 1:48 Good News Scientists Come Very Close To Anti HIV Vaccineby sarkodie onews180 views
- 7:50 OHSU Investigationby idapdx6,432 views
- 45:58 Most Aggressive Breedsby NatGeoWild1,622,362 views
- 16:21 HIV/AIDS Research at Emory Universityby EmoryUniversity3,129 views