QuagsQube -- Heaven 3.0 Sli GTX680 2GB X58 PCIe 2.0 x8 vs. x16 Lanes and VRAM Testing
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 12, 2012
With the feature updates, +25% VRAM and the now known 30-35% performance boost for me, I decided to upgrade my SLI 580 1.5GB to some reference EVGA (Nv really) GTX680s. After some time playing with them, I am going to keep and waterblock them. Koolance blocks arrive next week. Right now they do have the High Flow brackets as I got them free (2 of 200) from EVGA.
From here I'll see what the GK110 is all about in time, and if I go for those, I'll be waiting for some high end models unlike the GK104. Reference is good to go as I don't want to pay the premium and wait for 4GB 680s when my heart is after the unicorn in the wild GK110.
I run my 980X at 4GHz for all tests, I can game at 4.4GHz, but I like the lower temps at 4. I've ran many tests Sli 580 SC vs Sli 680 (Heaven 3.0, Dirt 3, Metro 2033, Mafia 2, BF3) and I get a 30-35% boost in performance and can crank more eye candy. Mind you, this is all at 6010x1080BC, but with a 1920x1080 extended display on the 680s. Using 301.10 WHQL for 680s.
This test is PCIe 2.0 x8/x8 lanes vs. x16/x16 lanes on an X58 mobo using max Heaven 3.0 settings with 4xMSAA vs. 8xMSAA. 8xMSAA is practically a slideshow, but the 580s wouldn't even run it and the 4xMSAA looked like a slideshow (x16 lane testing only). Only Heaven 3.0 and Metro 2033 provide me an easily repeatable test with the ability to crush my system (sure BF3 can crush it, but no easy repeatable test). Heaven 3.0 best sums it up while looking pretty, so I am using it to run 4 tests for this video with a simple OC offset +106 core and +198 mem, giving me an effective 1215MHz core and 6412MHz mem:
6010x1080BC -- DX11 -- Extreme Tess -- Shaders High -- Texture High -- AFx16
1) PCIe 2.0 x8/x8 4xMSAA
2) PCIe 2.0 x8/x8 8xMSAA
3) PCIe 2.0 x16/x16 4xMSAA
4) PCIe 2.0 x16/x16 8xMSAA
There is plenty of camera zooming in on performance details as I have PrecisionX 3.0.1, RealTempGT, and 4 instances of GPU-z to show info and performance. I don't do any pausing or editing (removing of video) during each run, but I do speed some of it by 10x so we don't have to watch a long ass video. I display easy to read comparison results towards the end of vid, so if you just want to FF to 13:23 minute mark, there it is.
At 4xMSAA about 1550MB mem is used and at 8xMSAA is uses about 2050MB and drops to 1750MB when the shit is hitting the fan I suppose. CPU usage, GPU mem controller are interesting in this scenario. My 680s behave well imo.
Heaven 3.0 at 4xMSAA, there is about a 4% loss on x8/x8 vs. x16/16, however at 8xMSAA it's about a 19% loss. This is about the same in Metro 2033 (AAA vs 4xMSAA, No DoF). I only did these tests for shits&giggles, plus for my own system knowledge as I'm thinking of Ivy Bridge and a new X mobo (PCIe 3.0) down the road, maybe along with the GK110s. I also wanted to crunch my VRAM to see how it performs. In Dirt 3, I can run 8xQSCAA Ultra and not even break a sweat at 6010x1080; after the first run, it now runs ~1600MB and MINs are over 60FPS. Can't wait for Dirt Showdown, bring on the mayhem.
Thanks for watching. Like with the 580, I will have a Koolance VID-NX680 waterblock installation video, so check back in a week or two.
Mountain Mod U2-UFO
Asus Rampage III Formula
SLi EVGA GTX680 2GB
G'Skill 6GB PC12800
Corsair AX1200 PSU
Crucial C300 128GB RealSSD SATA III
Intel 80GB X25m G2
WD 300GB Velociraptor
Sony BD-5730S Blu-ray Writer
XSPC 360 Rads
Koolance RP-450X2 Dual 5.25" Reservoir
Scythe Gentle Typhoon Fans
Silverstone 140mm Air Penetrator
Bitspower Powerstation & Fittings
Standard YouTube License
- 13:20 AMD FX 8350 vs Intel 3570K vs 3770K vs 3820 - Gaming and XSplit Streaming Benchmarksby Tek Syndicate Featured 373,158
- 20:37 FC-GTX680 Water Blocks , FC-Links and EK Bridge Assemblyby Ronsanut .13,160 views
- 6:02 Modifying a PCI-E 16x Card to fit into a PCI-E 1x slotby Purkkaviritys8,939 views
- 10:31 GTX 780's in SLI with 580 as Physx card, also PCIe 2.0 8x vs. 16x conclusionby JesseFK4,907 views
- 4:39 Top 60 Games for 128MB Video Cards Part 1by DimitarTNT127,193 views
- 21:17 Ultimate X79 Gaming Build - Rampage IV Black Edition - MARS GTX 760 SLI - $5800by PCDIY15,048 views
- 7:42 How to - Make Your Old Graphics Card Play Any PC Gameby Tutorialso384,883 views
- 11:41 ASUS Transformer Book T100TA-C1-GR Tablet Review - Hardware & Gamingby Lon Seidman4,305 views
- 10 videos Play all asusby BaToOoT8906
- 1:59 PCI-e 1.1 vs 2.0 vs 3.0 Technical Demonstrationby LavcoPriceTech8,914 views
- 1:22:27 How to Build a Z87 Computer from Start-to-Finish ft. ASUS Z87-PROby ASUS North America127,794 views
- 10:01 Something Wicked - TSW - ( The Secret World )by tangyntart12,538 views
- 7:22 I72600 PCIe 2.0 VS I73770K PCIe 3.0by vekt0r91626 views
- 6:37 Asus Transformer Book T100 Failuresby Marc The Geek9,358 views
- 5:37 HP Desktop PCIe Video Card Replacementby DIY Tech16,971 views
- 5:37 QuagsQube - Koolance VID-NX680 blocks & EVGA Backplate Installation on EVGA GTX680by QuagmireLXIX2,946 views
- 3:26 Upgrade Your Graphics Card for Freeby ThioJoe70,514 views
- 2:07 P55 Dedicated Physx Card x4 VS x8by LavcoPriceTech2,371 views
- 11:53 4-Way GTX 680 SLI Sony FW900 Surround Reaching VRAM Limit and PCI-Express 2.0 vs 3.0 Battle - PART 1by Callsign Vega11,341 views
- 13:48 Instalacion de Tarjeta de Video PCI Express 2.0 1GB DDR3 - Introduccion - Teoriaby Humberto Higinio14,542 views