Eric Bogle - The Band Played Waltzing Matilda
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 4, 2007
****Note added 25 April 2010:
When I was asked to create this presentation for a Remembrance Day assembly, I didn't know how I would show an "anti-war" song at an event that is supposed to honour our veterans. At the same time, war and military conflict was such a distant concept for our students, I wanted to some how make history relevant to them, let alone an "Australian" song that most of the our middle school students have never heard.
The more I listened to Bogle's words, the more I realized that this song was about more than a moment in history. It's about how history repeats itself and the great sacrifices that are made during war and how futile it all is if we fail to learn from our mistakes.
Making the transition from B/W to full colour to coincide with Bogle's words "We started all over again," I wanted to show how war is part of our past, present and (unfortunately) future.
Great sacrifices have been made because of war. Bogle asks "What are they marching for?" I say they are marching to honour those sacrifices. If any veteran is offended by this video, I truly do apologize.
April 25 - ANZAC Day
November 11 - Remembrance Day
"Waltzing Matilda" is a very famous Australian folk song and a "Matilda" was the name given to the pack that Australian farm workers carried on their backs.
To "Waltz Matilda" meant to carry your pack of belongings through the bush.
The song "The Band Played Waltzing Matilda" by Eric Bogle is about Australian soldiers who fought against Turkish troops and died in the Battle of Gallipoli in World War I.
Mixed with pictures from Gallipoli are pictures of past and present Canadian troops because this song and slideshow was played during a Remembrance Day assembly at a Canadian public school.
Information about this song was taken from this web page (which is NOT mine) that talks about Eric Bogle's performance of this song:
Judging by a lot of people's comments, I should have used another source for info and double-checked the data. I hope that Bogle's message reaches beyond just numbers--because all sacrifices big or small are significant.
Standard YouTube License
- 49 videos Play all YouTube Mix
- 6:02 Joan Baez - And the Band Played Waltzing Matildaby SpadecallerFeatured 544,323
- 50 videos Play all Waltzing Matildas (Pogues, Tom Waits, Eric Bogle)by sanford9850
- 5:38 Waltzing Matilda (Australia Day 2009 Live)by wendymatthewsmusic 468,474 views
- 3:31 AUSSIES IN IRAQ ~ WALTZING MATILDA SUNG BY THE SEEKERSby mrtibbs6912 268,587 views
- 8:46 The Band Played Waltzing Matilda - Eric Bogleby Daragh Phelan 16,935 views
- 4:26 I was only 19by skinniouschinnious 913,575 views
- 4:15 LIAM McNALLY STUNS THE AUDIENCE ON BRITAIN'S GOT TALENT SINGING DANNY BOYby theytrebel 10,273,190 views
- 6:34 Eric Bogle - No man's land - (Green fields of france)by Guenter51 64,401 views
- 3:44 Rolf Harris :: Waltzing Matilda (with lyrics and explanation of them)by Rikkyhardo 387,713 views
- 4:42 I am - You are - we are Australians - The Seekersby lequantam2 157,642 views
- 4:16 Dire Straits - Waltzing Matilda Sydney 86by Leksingen 175,416 views
- 5:11 The Green Fields Of France (or) Willie McBride-The Dropkick Murphysby BlueOrchidMoon77 341,650 views
- 4:43 Dire Straits - Brothers in Armsby Specially 1,603,546 views
- 4:12 Now I'm Easy - Eric Bogleby Daragh Phelan 35,648 views
- 5:26 The Pogues - And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda (LIVE!)by dalmatirac 208,054 views
- 4:20 Redgum - I Was Only 19 (ANZAC Version)by aussietv2 98,611 views
- 6:41 The Band Played Waltzing Matilda - Liam Clancy [13/26]by Daragh Phelan 47,033 views
- 3:47 Paint it Black - Vietnam Warby THEFUZZ5445's channel 10,022,996 views
- 3:42 SYDNEY 2000 OLYMPICS (5/6) - SLIM DUSTY - WALTZING MATILDAby paradiseresort's channel 196,565 views
- 3:36 Waltzing Matilda Lyricsby 8788q 413,702 views
- 4:28 I was only 19by LegendaryDave 272,882 views
- Loading more suggestions...