Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 4, 2012
This crafted doc offers a window into the bygone way of life on a UNESCO protected island off Croatia. Living on rocks carved with the history of two and a half thousand years, life for the people of Trogir is infused with an uninterrupted antiquity. From the fresh washing strung across ancient courtyards, wafting smells of traditional baking, and locals gathered in the shoemaker's shop to chatter, these are lovingly selected sequences reminiscent of a time before cameras existed.
The people of Trogir enjoy a special existence,fusing their lives seamlessly with the beauty and culture that surrounds them. A thousand people live inside the centre, a UNESCO world cultural heritage site since 1997. It is a shimmering Mediterranean paradise, abounding with classical architecture, fishing boats, shops, restaurants and a calm traditional way of life.
Toni, the shoemaker, exemplifies the spirit of continuity that the Island has from antiquity. He runs the shoe shop his grandfather started in the 1930s. "At 7 years old I started helping my father in the workshop. I was probably a hindrance, but he was glad to have me near and developing good working habits." Through the weight of these family traditions, the stories of Trogir are lovingly handed down and won't be given up easily. "I love my job. One guy was convincing me to sell for days, he even brought a bag full of money once, but I wouldn't accept." Trogir is full of such characters, from fishermen and shipyard workers to artists and bakers.
But it is not only the people that make this such a unique place. The cathedral of St Lawrence, which was built from the 12th to 16th century, is a stunning example of Medieval Mediterranean architecture. Its portals, towers and halls feature a blend of artistic styles that developed over the 400 year history of its construction. Like the Western portal build by one of the most ingenious sculptors of the Middle Ages, Radovan, who some experts say may have worked on the main portal of the basilica of San Marco in Venice.
Trogir also cherishes the culture of its people, that has been developed over thousands of years. From the traditional klapa singers, blending their voices in perfect polyphony, to the artists, like Sandra Radic Parac, who gather in the main square to paint, they all add to the rich texture of the city. "It's a town full of monuments but also the town of living artists, all of us who are living here and creating new works of art. We are the spirit of the town."
This documentary, through breathtaking cinematography, presents a loving insight into the magic of life in Trogir, capturing the warm hustle and bustle of the tourist season to the gentle restful winter of this small Mediterranean town.
Standard YouTube License
- Partner rating: No mature content (Learn more)
Running time: 43:20Help
- 56:19 War Child: Emmanuel Jalby JourneymanVOD110 views
- 52:50 The Hashish Connectionby JourneymanVOD241 views
- 55:33 The Olympic Side of Londonby JourneymanVOD189 views
- 53:43 The Regime Must Fallby JourneymanVOD86 views
- 1:16:29 The One Percentby WarZalez1,280,711 views
- 0:07 Polo King of the Mint Manor Farmby barty1tube88 views
- 1:26:50 The Last Days on Earthby vele901,690,256 views
- 1:36:50 (The Horde) Zombie Movieby Spokes Lazyville8,202,116 views
- 50:36 Colosseum - A Gladiator's Storyby popperslist1,537,855 views
- 1:02:24 Japans Tsunami Caught On Cameraby Tony Presidente581,736 views
- 56:59 Thailand Documentaryby KeenPunterLOS558,631 views
- 45:09 Escape Breakout From Alcatrazby Vicky Rajora724,698 views
- 8:20 PIPE TREK WEB SERIES S01 EP01 PRESENTED BY PIPEFITTERMIKE636by Mike Mason512 views
- 1:52 Canary Wharf - Mudchute Park & Farm - Westfield Stratford - Olympic Viewby //dangoldmedia473 views
- 22:00 Inside the 1996 Everest Disaster - Ken Kamlerby ForaTv1,043,140 views
- 9:17 ATHEIST DIED, WENT TO HELL, CAME BACK [Part 1/2]by Stephen King1,944,119 views
- 3:03 Paul Williams World Class Rollforming 2012 You Tubeby MetalFab2009256 views
- 2:19 Erifilly - 1000 subscribers thanksby Erifilly11110,079 views
- 1:36 Crawling around in the 2000 TJby Ken M587 views
- 50:50 Scientology: Secret Lives - L. Ron Hubbardby Mark Bunker172,025 views
- Loading more suggestions...