Federal Guard Dog 9mm 105 gr EFMJ AMMO TEST
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 1, 2011
This video features THREE tests of the 9mm Federal Guard Dog cartridge; water jugs, drywall with ballistic gel/denim, and just ballistic gel with denim. This is not a typical defensive cartridge and the extent to which I take my research is much more involved than my standard protocol, resulting in a longer video than my norm. To view in greater video detail, try the 720p or 1080p HD settings. There are also a few annotations throughout the video.
I have received a ton of requests to test this ammo. Law-abiding gun owners are concerned about overpenetration in a self-defense scenario, in particular within a home setting. Traditional JHP's are prone to clog in drywall, performing as a FMJ downrange and increasing the possibility of passing through several walls and endangering innocents. Federal has designed this bullet to pretty much guarantee expansion on the first wall in that setting, which will be illustrated in this video. However, my PRIMARY concern, and hopefully yours as well, is stopping the threat. A "connection" with poor bullet performance that does not diminish the threat increases the odds of YOU being put down, and the threat moving on to areas that you are trying to protect and beyond.
The SIM-TEST media that I'm using is calibrated to ballistic gel specs. The four layers of denim over the block is an IWBA test standard, used to simulate heavy clothing. Test gun is the Glock 19. Advertised muzzle velocity is 1230 fps; my 5-shot chronographed average was 1213 fps.
I appreciate Federal's efforts to create a cartridge that homeowners perceive as being safer to use than traditional JHP's. Some of you might recall that this EFMJ concept was previously marketed as a 9mm 124 gr load. Federal's marketing approach, at least at the time of this production, gravitates heavily toward the home defense aspect and concern of overpenetration in walls. They demonstrate this to some extent in a YouTube video of their own, yet it's nowhere near as comprensive as this production. There isn't much discussion on the EFMJ's performance on neutralizing the threat itself, which I found of great interest.
Filmed with two Sony HD AVCHD camcorders; HDR-CX110 at 24 mbps, and HDR-CX560 at 28 mbps 60p.
EDITING: Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10, MP4, 30p, 16 mbps.
Standard YouTube License
- 5:58 .40 "EXTREME SHOCK" Ammo Gel Testby tnoutdoors9 Featured 355,279
- 9:34 Winchester PDX1 12 Defender (12 gauge) Gel Ammo Testby tnoutdoors9250,661 views
- 7:55 5.56mm NATO XM193: Drywall & Ballistic Gel Testby tnoutdoors9218,019 views
- 6:06 .357 SIG Federal HST Ammo Gel Testby tnoutdoors994,447 views
- 4:17 .380 Full Metal Jacket in Ballistic Gelby tnoutdoors9264,713 views
- 20:29 Ruger LCP .380 VS Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380by Outdoor Sports Club393,168 views
- 14:57 12 Gauge Dragons Breathby georgeellas621,647,707 views
- 22 videos Play all .45 ACP Ammo Testsby tnoutdoors9
- 17:31 9mm Versus .45 ACPby Outdoor Sports Club1,393,058 views
- 9:58 9mm Vs. 45 ACP CAUTION! DISTURBING!by 155Millimeter991,089 views
- 38:27 Walther PPQ: "Sniper's Pistol" by Nutnfancyby nutnfancy354,999 views
- 10:53 Vortex Strikefire: "$135 Aimpoint?" by Nutnfancyby nutnfancy224,570 views
- 6:52 Shooting 9mm ammo through a .40 caliber Glockby Comanchero762263,079 views
- 6:26 9mm DRT JHP Ammo Gel Testby tnoutdoors943,721 views
- 4:09 Federal HST 9mm 147 gr JHP SIM-TEST w/Denimby tnoutdoors999,410 views
- 21:01 5.56x45 NATO vs .223 Remby DocTacDad466,628 views
- 3:46 Can the 9mm protect you?by aaron031342,965 views
- 5:18 9mm Remington Golden Saber 147 gr Ammo Gel Testby tnoutdoors992,075 views
- 3:27 9mm Rubber Bulletsby RetreatHell80,959 views
- 6:48 Self Defense Ammo - What weight in 9mm?by DocTacDad27,943 views