Uploaded on Sep 23, 2009
How to make this popular BBQ dish - the full recipe is on my website http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/samgye...
Samgyeopsal can be literally translated as "3 layered flesh"! Whose flesh? yes, it's pork bacon. Samgyeopsal gui is never eaten by itself, it always comes with a variety of vegetables.
Nobody can resist the taste of samgyeopsal gui (except vegetarians)! When she or he eats the grilled pork belly and garlic, green onion salad and soybean paste dipping sauce (ssamjang) in fresh lettuce, they will be hooked! In Korea, the price of pork is much cheaper than beef, so this dish is enjoyed by many people who can't afford to buy good cuts of beef.
I already posted my "grilled beef" recipe a long time ago on my website, and this one is very similar. Replace beef with pork belly and the recipe is the same.
To enjoy this dish, the main 4 components will be needed
1.pork belly(without this, what are you going to grill? : ) )
2.pajori (green onion salad)
3.ssamjang (soybean paste dipping sauce)
4.grill plate (optional): It's devised so the grease from the meat flows into a trough.
Ingredients: for 4 servings 3 pounds of pork belly (fresh or pre-sliced frozen), green onions, carrot, green chili peppers, garlic, lettuce, mushrooms, hot pepper flakes, soy sauce, sugar, honey, hot pepper paste,soybean paste, sesame seeds, and sesame oil.
Directions: First, slice pork belly into bite sized pieces. Put it on a large plate and keep it in the refrigerator.
Make "pajori" (green onion salad)
1.Shred about 3 bunches of green onions to make 5 cups. Soak it in cold water.
2.In a large bowl, combine 1/4 cup soy sauce, 2 tbs hot pepper flakes, 2 ts sugar, 1 tbs sesame seeds, and 1 tbs sesame oil. Set it aside.
3.Drain the shredded green onion.
4.Add the green onion to the bowl and mix it with the sauce. Set asides.
Make ssamjang (soybean paste dipping sauce) Combine these ingredients in a small bowl with a spoon until mixed well:
1. 1/4 cup soy bean paste
2. 2 tbs hot pepper paste
3. 1 stalk of chopped green onion
4. 1 clove of minced garlic, 2 ts honey (or sugar)
5. 2 ts sesame seeds
6. 1 tbs sesame oil.
1. Wash and drain a head of lettuce.
2. Cut a carrot, a green chili pepper, some mushrooms into bite size pieces and put them on a plate.
3. Slice 2 dozen pieces of garlic and put them next to the carrot strips. *tip: cut each garlic lengthwise a few times
How to cook:
1. Heat up your grill plate.
2. Put a little sesame oil on the hot plate so your pork belly doesn't stick.
3. Cover the grill plate with belly, turn it over often so it doesn't burn.
4. As it gets ready to eat, take it off the plate and set it aside, or keep eating and grilling!
How to eat:
1. Put a piece of belly on a lettuce leaf.
2. Add a piece of garlic, some ssamjang, and a little pajori.
3. Fold the lettuce leaf over so you have one little package.
4. Pop it into your mouth in one shot. *tip: don't bite it in half, it will break open
Standard YouTube License