Tulane Women's Basketball Highlights vs UNC-Wilmington, 12/2/2012
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Dec 3, 2012
Women's Basketball Rolls Past UNC-Wilmington, 73-58
Green Wave use 50-37 rebounding edge to score 18 second-chance points to improve to 6-1 on the year
Senior guard Olivia Grayson and redshirt-sophomore Whitney Bibbins scored 12 points each and sophomore guard Danielle Blagg added 10 as the Tulane University women's basketball team rolled past UNC-Wilmington, 73-58, on Sunday afternoon at Devlin Fieldhouse.
Tulane trailed 23-21 with just under five minutes to play in the first half before rattling off 13 unanswered points to take control of the ballgame. Up seven at the break, the Wave scored nine of the first 11 points of the second half and the lead never dipped below seven the rest of the day. With the win, Tulane improves to 6-1 on the year. UNC-Wilmington, meanwhile, fell to 1-4.
"After any loss, your focus is on your team," Tulane head coach Lisa Stockton said. "One of the things we focused on was how we came out for the second half. We changed some things and we came out at that media (timeout) up seven from the half and I thought that was a good sign. Our seniors and our upperclassmen really did a good job of setting the tone for the second half. Hopefully that's something that we can continue doing."
The Green Wave pulled down a season-high 50 rebounds - including a team-high 11 by sophomore forward Tiffany Dale - and turned 17 offensive boards into 18 second-chance points. In addition, Tulane had a season-best 21 assists while committing a season-low 10 turnovers, 11 of which came via steal.
Grayson and sophomore Jamie Kaplan shared team-high assist honors with six assists each, and Grayson paced the squad with four steals. Freshman forward Tierra Jones was second to Dale with nine rebounds while Grayson and Bibbins pulled won six each.
"Certainly our rebounding was huge," Stockton said. "It was a point of emphasis the last two days. In the first half, I felt that we had our hands on a lot of balls and just couldn't pull them in. In the second half, I thought we were able to secure more."
The two teams traded baskets early on before Tulane appeared to begin pulling away as senior guard Tryia Snow nailed a 3-pointer to make it 21-15 with 8:07 to go before halftime. UNC-Wilmington's Kelva Atkins sparked a 6-0 Seahawks run to give the visiting club a two-point lead.
Bibbins sparked Tulane's game-deciding run with a free throw, followed by a three-point play by senior wing Janique Kuatsky, back-to-back baskets by Kautsky, a Kautsky 3-pointer and a Dale tip-in to make it 34-23 with 1:35 to go before the break.
UNC-Wilmington score the first four points of the half, but Grayson and Kautsky sandwiched jumpers around a pair of Seahawk free throws early in the second stanza, senior forward Brittany McDonald converted a three-point play and Dale converted a layup the next time down the court to make it 43-29.
The Seahawks cut the led down to seven at 49-42 with 12:02 to play and again at 51-44 just over 30 seconds later, but that would be as close as UNC-Wilmington would get the rest of the way. Tulane answered with a 7-0 run and the lead swelled to as many as 19 at 65-46 and again at 67-48.
Jessica Freeman led the Seahawks with 16 points while Atkins and Dana Brown had 15 and 10, respectively. Atkins led UNC-Wilmington with eight rebounds and a pair of steals while Tawanna Lee paced the club with four assists.
The Green Wave will enjoy a week off before traveling to Baton Rouge to take on LSU on Sunday, Dec. 9. Tulane's next home game is slated for Dec. 19 when the Wave play host to Louisiana-Lafayette at 11 a.m. in Devlin Fieldhouse.
Standard YouTube License
- 11:30 The ULTIMATE Skylar Diggins Highlight Tapeby HoopVidzFeatured 22,418
- 1:30:46 2012 NCAA Women's Basketball Championship. Semifinal. Stanford vs. Baylorby lokosxelbaloncesto 22,965 views
- 5:28 Stuff Girls Basketball Players Sayby 12tayluh2013 43,040 views
- 1:40:33 Basketball Women's Prel.Round Group A - USA v CZE Full Replay - London 2012 Olympic Gamesby olympic 30,971 views
- 17:55 Ellen at Tulane Commencement 2009by Tulane 273,940 views
- 6:24 Ellen DeGeneres at Tulane's 2006 Commencementby Tulane 202,800 views
- 4:47 The Greatest Shot You Will Ever See in a Girls Basketball Game!!by Nitroman08 127,028 views
- 2:01:50 Basketball Women's Group B - Australia v Great Britain Full Replay -- London 2012 Olympic Gamesby olympic 27,455 views
- 3:06 CBA Girls Basketball Trainingby CALGARYBASKETBALL 18,229 views
- 10:00 Courtney Pulley-Class of 2009by cpulley2203 4,279 views
- 3:57 UConn Women's Basketball: Expectations To Excellenceby uconnhuskies 7,672 views
- 9:31 Ellen DeGeneres at Tulane's 2009 Commencement Speechby FlackeyR 553,506 views
- 2:40 UConn Women's Basketball Team Dances at First Nightby uconn 86,386 views
- 11:10 Diana Taurasi: Best Women's Basketball Player Everby tonyspizza1800 106,776 views
- 6:35 Best Girls High School Point Guardby duke331000 1,688 views
- 4:39 Epic Trick Shot Battle | Dude Perfectby corycotton 8,605,068 views
- 5:07 UNC Tar Heels Basketball Highlights: 2005-2009by Tarheel8292 16,188 views
- 14:14 20120602 Basket Feminin Match Equipe de France Pologne Quart-Temps1by ALGM Basket 3,156 views
- 0:33 (Enloe) Dominique Lee Dunkby P Louder 7,945 views
- 3:03 Women's Basketball - All Access @ UNCby MarylandAthletics 2,511 views