Identity Theft Prevention | What to Do if You're a Victim
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 10, 2007
From the U.S. Treasury Dept. Explains the steps you should take if you become a victim of identity theft.
Identity theft is a serious crime. It occurs when your personal information is stolen and used without your knowledge to commit fraud or other crimes. Identity theft can cost you time and money. It can destroy your credit and
ruin your good name.
Deter identity thieves by safeguarding your information.
■ Shred financial documents and paperwork with personal information before you discard them.
■ Protect your Social Security number. Don't carry your Social Security card in your wallet or write your Social Security number on a check. Give it out only if absolutely necessary or ask to use another identifier.
■ Don't give out personal information on the phone, through the mail, or over the Internet unless you
know who you are dealing with.
■ Never click on links sent in unsolicited emails;
instead, type in a web address you know. Use firewalls,
anti-spyware, and anti-virus software to protect
your home computer; keep them up-to-date.
Visit OnGuardOnline.gov for more information.
■ Don't use an obvious password like your birth date,
your mother's maiden name, or the last four digits
of your Social Security number.
■ Keep your personal information in a secure place
at home, especially if you have roommates, employ outside help, or are having work done in your house.
Defend against ID theft as soon as you suspect it.
■ Place a "Fraud Alert" on your credit reports, and review the reports carefully. The alert tells creditors
to follow certain procedures before they open new accounts in your name or make changes to your existing accounts. The three nationwide consumer reporting companies have toll-free numbers for placing an initial 90-day fraud alert; a call to one company is sufficient:
Experian: 1-888-EXPERIAN (397-3742)
Standard YouTube License
- 4:38 Brian Culbertson - Madelena --- Steffe. B --- HDby --- Steffe. B --- Featured 1,490
- 1:21:55 Dateline NBC - To catch a predator 8 - California, Long Beachby Chris Hansen200,235 views
- 3:48 What To Do If Your Social Security Number is Stolenby themoneycoach13,244 views
- 1:21:45 TEEN MURDER: The story of 16 yr old Micaela Costanzo killed by 17 year old lovers Dateline NBCby NewsBallTV298,790 views
- 43:33 Dateline Mystery - Flying High At Cocktail Coveby CrimeMysterySeries15,830 views
- 1:20:11 Dateline NBC - To catch a predator 10 - Florida, Flagler Beachby Chris Hansen703,294 views
- 43:32 Wicked Attraction Picture Perfectby CrimeMysterySeries15,713 views
- 9:47 How to get a 2nd Social Security number and start over legallyby colescreditrepair200,976 views
- 37 videos Play all Identity Theftby securitytv
- 8:40 Identity Theft Preventionby ScamExpert20,786 views
- 6:48 How Do Criminals Steal Your Identity?by ScamExpert19,116 views
- 6:40 Dealing With Tax Identity Theft (by John M Miller, CPA)by johnmillercpainc1,842 views
- 6:58 Identity Theft Prevention; Online Banking Fraudby LayeredSecurity4,259 views
- 6:35 Identity Theft Nightmare (The Today Show)by conclips11,795 views
- 9:59 Deter - Detect - Defend Against Identity Theftby MyEarbot10,670 views
- 4:25 What To Do If You Get Robbed While Traveling & Other Travel Safety Tipsby woltersworld3,903 views
- 12:48 I Now Owe CitiBank and Discover $93,000by David Kwon7,282 views
- 2:07 Identity Theft Prevention | Credit Reports & Fraud Alertsby ScamExpert14,550 views
- 43:32 Dateline on ID ~~ A Stranger in the Houseby Criminologist196986,656 views
- 6:39 Identity Theft Preventionby CityofCerritos2,490 views