Vermont farmer crushes 7 police cars with tractor over pot arrest
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Aug 2, 2012
****UPDATE PERTAINING TO ROGER PION BAIL SET AT 50K*****
NEWPORT, Vt. (AP) — A Vermont man who authorities said used a large farm tractor like a monster truck and drove over seven police vehicles, then tried to run over two officers who pursued him, was ordered held on $50,000 bail Friday.
Orleans County sheriffs said Roger Pion, 34, of Newport, was angry over a recent arrest for resisting arrest and marijuana possession when he drove the tractor into the parking lot of the sheriff's department and rolled it multiple times across cruisers and a transport van parked in the lot. No one was injured in Thursday's incident.
Sworn police statements filed at the court said Pion would face 14 charges. The most serious one, felony aggravated assault on a police officer, carries a penalty of up to 16 years in prison.
Sheriffs said that after Pion left their lot, they were unable to pursue him because they had no intact vehicles. When two Newport City officers chased him, he suddenly started backing the tractor toward them.
"I backed up in fear of our safety about ten to fifteen feet before bumping into another vehicle," wrote Newport Officer Tanner Jacobs, adding that "at this point the tractor was still backing up." He said he and his partner then left their vehicle to avoid getting run over.
Converging city and state police and county sheriffs then surrounded Pion and ordered him from the tractor at gunpoint. He was found to be carrying a loaded pistol, authorities said. Sheriff's deputies got there in a borrowed civilian vehicle.
Defense attorney David Sleigh said he would seek to have the aggravated assault charge dismissed.
"There was no actual contact. He never came into threatening proximity of anyone," Sleigh said. "I understand if these deputies were annoyed, and there may be a personal measure of retribution" reflected in the aggravated assault charge. "But that does not equate to proof."
After Pion's court appearance Friday, sheriff's deputies and fire and rescue crews in neighboring Derby, where the sheriff's department is located, were trying to salvage what they could from the crushed cruisers. They were using tools usually used to extract crash victims from crushed vehicles to pry open the cruisers' trunks.
Chief Deputy Philip Brooks marveled that the rifle, shotgun and other items stored in his cruiser's trunk were unharmed. "Even my hat held its shape," he said.
Brooks said the department moved into the former bank building in December. There was no video surveillance of the ungated parking lot. "I'm certain the security issues will be revisited," he said.
Several other sheriffs' departments around Vermont offered to lend cruisers to Orleans County. State police offered cars they were preparing for auction.
Sheriff Kirk Martin said in an interview at the county courthouse that he was in Boston, preparing to attend a Red Sox game on Law Enforcement Appreciation Day at Fenway Park, when he got word of the vehicular carnage back home. He hurried back north, with New Hampshire and Vermont State Police escorting him.
Martin missed the game, in which Boston lost to the Minnesota Twins, 5-0. "Even watching them lose yesterday would have been better" than what he came home to, he said.
A Vermont farmer used his tractor to crush seven Orleans County Sheriff's Department squad cars on Thursday because he was angry about being arrested on marijuana charges last month.
"It's more than half our fleet," Chief Deputy Sheriff Phil Brooks explained to the Burlington Free Press. "We have 11 cars."
Roger Pion, 34, allegedly flattened five marked cruisers and two unmarked vehicles, including a van used for transporting prisoners. A car belonging the the department's bookkeeper was also damaged as the tractor pushed it to clear a path to the squad cars.
"It was a massive tractor," Newport Express Publisher Ken Wells told the Free Press. "It has four six-foot tandem wheels on the back. It was red. It must be at least a 15-ton tractor."
"It's pretty much the biggest tractor you can get," Police Chief Seth DiSanto agreed.
The suspect ditched the tractor about two miles from the crime scene and then fled on foot before being apprehended, according to WCAX. He has been turned over to the Vermont State Police.
Pion was previously arrested on July 3 for marijuana possession and resisting arrest. His court date had been set for next Tuesday.
Standard YouTube License
- 3:05 Angry Man Crushes Police Cars With Tractorby TheYoungTurksFeatured 84,283
- 1:12 Rachet dirty dog cop tasers innocent 12 y/o black girlby HoodNews 5,205 views
- 1:18 Florida man 'I only shot a n*gger'; charged with hate crimeby HoodNews 5,657 views
- 2:48 Pakistani parents found guilty of murdering daughter because she was too "Westernized"by HoodNews 3,262 views
- 0:26 Liz Cambage Becomes First Woman To Dunk During Olympics Gameby HoodNews 443,657 views
- Police car 32,962 videos12K
- 5:55 Handcuffed Man Shot, Killed Himself In Cop Car?by TheYoungTurks 219,070 views
- 0:40 Car Boot Failby Sam Mac 455,794 views
- 3:37 Six car crushby SAPoliceNews 26,897 views
- 1:42 "BAD ASS AMERICAN HERO" Farmer Arrested For Marijuana Uses Tractor To Smash Cop Carsby MOXNEWSd0tC0M 4,509 views
- 2:34 Idiot Pulls Loaded Gun in Back of Police Carby Josh Bo 9,003 views
- 1:33 Victoria Police Crush Hoon Carby motorreport 39,944 views
- 1:06 Man drives over police cars with tractor,vermontby jon clem 1,153 views
- 1:36 First 'hoon cars' crushed by the South Australia Policeby SAPoliceNews 13,991 views
- 18:56 Victim of Police Brutality, and alleged Mighty Destroyer of cop cars Roger Pion goes to courtby WHYNotNews 2,559 views
- 12:23 2012 Ford Interceptor Police cars revealedby romanmicagearguy 675,344 views
- 1:49 Bugatti Veyron Pulled Over by Police Bicycle!!!by supercarsoflondon 511,672 views
- 0:56 2011 LEXUS ISF CRUSHED ILLEGAL STREET RACING CARSby Mrbasshead411 825,390 views
- 2:52 NYPD Police Cars: Highway Patrol, Traffic Stops (Compilation)by code3paris 40,114 views
- 8:21 5 Ways to Avoid Getting Busted for Potby FlexYourRights 143,330 views
- 5:21 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 vs Cop Cars: Police Chase! - The Downshift Episode 17by MotorTrend 856,848 views
- Loading more suggestions...