Free Te Reo Māori interfaces for Windows and Office - Interview with Dr Te Taka Keegan
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 17, 2012
Te Reo Māori is a unique part of New Zealand culture and one of our three official languages. To mark Māori Language week in 2011, Microsoft announced the availability of complimentary Māori language packs for Microsoft Windows 7 and Microsoft Office 2010.
The translation builds on the work of the Māori Language Commission and the University of Waikato in previous interpretations for Microsoft XP and Vista, and offers a wider vocabulary and greater accuracy, particularly when it comes to new words describing new innovations and technology. The work has involved translation of tens of thousands of phrases.
"We found that certain Māori words used in relation to technology didn't always capture the true spirit of the English word, so we've developed and adapted words that are becoming increasing adopted," says Wareko Te Āngina, an independent translator who worked as moderator on the project.
These language packs translate commonly-used features within Windows 7 and Office 2010, giving people the choice to use the technology in a language that is familiar and honours linguistic and cultural differences.
Dr Te Taka Keegan, a Senior Lecturer at the University of Waikato emphasises the important role that technology plays: "For languages to survive, they need to be used in normal day-to-day activities, and because technology and computers are such a big part of our lives, the language needs to be used in technology as well. We are very excited about the opportunities the new translations will bring for te reo students, particularly those in immersion schools. It can only help to strengthen the language and encourage greater use."
Further information is available at:
Standard YouTube License
- 44:55 DEFCON 15: Saving The Internet With Hateby Christiaan008 1,318 views
- 2:15 MAORI PHRASE BOOKby iamtv1 334 views
- 22:26 Maori Stage Polyfest 2011 TV2 TVNZ 11 June 2011by polyfestnz 87,092 views
- 10:10 A Maori Heritage Project - Presented by Border Crossings (Origins: Festival of First Nations)by BorderCrossings1 801 views
- 6:11 The Maori teenager who's made it to the big time in a multi million dollar US sportby maraetvnz 40,308 views
- 10:59 Potaua Biasiny-Tule - Rural panel discussion - The Future with High Speed Broadband conferenceby FutureBroadband1 135 views
- 2:02 New Zealand National Anthem in NZSL, Maori & Englishby Deafaotearoa 53,091 views
- 4:57 English Grammar - The Subjunctiveby AlexESLvid 51,658 views
- 19:43 Part 1 of 2 Tehea Ara Kura Total immersion Maori language and culture schools Waka Huia TVNZ 10 July 2011by wakahuiatvnz 2,645 views
- 3:35 Wales vs New Zealand Haka and Response (whole video)by davz1992 1,591,257 views
- 4:32 BEZKRAINO TE OBICHAM SLANCHICE I VINAGI SHTE E TAKA !!!by velkapz 215 views
- 4:18 ONE News Television New Zealandby brownboyslim 11,580 views
- 1:54 Google Maori Launches Worldwideby TangataWhenuaDotCom 9,302 views
- 3:28 Maisey Rika - "Game Of Life" Maori (New Zealand) Singer/Songwriterby Nancy Kahumoku 23,512 views
- 0:56 #1 Rangi - Te Kaiwaiataby Rangi Te Kaiwaiata 436 views
- 2:41 Grassroots Te Reo is at risk, says Shane Jonesby tekareremaorinews 39 views
- 1:14 Microsoft Office 2010 ScreenTip Languageby gxpblogger 9,807 views
- 4:59 Ashley Tonga audition - Proud Mary - The X Factor NZby TV3NZ 641,243 views
- 1:21 TVNZ's ONE NEWS ON ELLEN ON ONE NEWSby azzabop 9,069 views
- 1:08 How to Change primary editing language in Microsoft Word 2007by TonyBryne 19,690 views
- Loading more suggestions...